48 Chrysler new owner looking for stuff and contacts

Cars with the M6 self shifting transmission have 2 electric switches on the carburetor. One works when the throttle is completely closed, this controls the upshift. The trans will not shift until you take your foot off the gas pedal. There is a governor on the trans, once you get going over 14 MPH and lift off the gas, you will hear a soft *click-clack* from below the floor boards and it shifts automatically into high gear.

The second switch works when the throttle is completely open. This is the kickdown switch. Like a typical automatic, it shifts down when you put the throttle to the floor.

These switches are part of the control system of the transmission.

Some Misc.Carter Anti Stall pics...single and dual terminal

And the Kick down SW and info...There are two styles of this Anti-Stall solenoids  ... a single terminal and a two terminal for the 1942-53 Chrysler carter carbs with FD and M-5 or M-6 transmissions..

Anti Stall M-5 Carter EV1 E7A1 (4).JPG

Anti Stall M-5 Carter EV1 E7A1 (3).JPG

Carter Anti-Stall FD M5 6.JPG

Carburetor Carter 1949-52 Dodge JC NOS D6M1 Carter 1949-53 Dodge M6 (3).JPG

Carter KD System M5 M6.JPG

Thanks guys, This is all amazing information, I love it. Thanks to everyone for all the great pictures and illustrations.    I can't wait to take this knowledge and apply it.  I noticed that when I took the car for a test drive.  I found that I really had to put the pedal to the medal and get the rev's quite high, when I was taking off in first gear in order for it to shift into the high range.  Taking it up to what you might feel as a comfortable rmp for it to shift, just nothing would happen when I took my foot off the accelerator.  Sounds like maybe that could be overcome by some adjustments to that mechanism or even carb issues.  When I took off in 3rd gear low range, it was super sluggish and really wanted to stall out the engine.  That may have been a carb issue since the car had been sitting so long, because if I feathered the gas pedal it did keep going after a few jerks.  However once I got going in 3rd., shifting into the high range at that point was quite normal and a smooth transaction.     I'm sure I'll figure it all out once I get a few miles under my belt.  I'm going to change the engine oil, trans fluid and fluid drive fluid right away.  I'm thinking maybe I should change the differential fluid while I'm at it.  What would I use for differential fluid? 

A too high of idle speed can cause delayed upshifts..idle seed needed 450 500.

A worn shrunken accelerator pump piston leather cup or plugged jet can cause acceleration hesitation. Step up piston could be stinking or stuck too.

4 minutes ago, c49er said:

A too high of idle speed can cause delayed upshifts..idle seed needed 450 500.

A worn shrunken accelerator pump piston leather cup or plugged jet can cause acceleration hesitation. Step up piston could be stinking or stuck too.

Thanks c49er, I'll check all that out. 

Interesting stamp.

Carter literature indicates that the EV1 carb was used in early 1946 and superseded by the EV2 in late 1946. The EV2 was used in 1947. The stamp you picture shows a date code of November 1947.

Kit CS-112 is correct.

Jon

1 minute ago, carbking said:

Interesting stamp.

Carter literature indicates that the EV1 carb was used in early 1946 and superseded by the EV2 in late 1946. The EV2 was used in 1947. The stamp you picture shows a date code of November 1947.

Kit CS-112 is correct.

Jon

Thanks Jon.    So my next question is where can I get that kit?  Most of the kits are inclusive of a number of different models it seems.  When I google carb kit cs-112, nothing comes up on the first page related to a carter carb.  When I go to The carburatorshop.com, which is the source for coming up with that number as that link suggests, it looks like the website was created back in the late 90's and there is no place to actually narrow down the search to find cs-112 or to purchase it.  You can't even email.  Phone number only.  Plus in order for them to ship to Canada the parcel has to registered mail and insured.  There must be an easier way to get this kit?  I don't see anything on ebay.

I think I mentioned earlier that I got an available p/n from Napa for a carb kit with a picture.  But I asked for a 1948 carter carb.  Maybe if i just go back and ask for a 1946 carb kit I'll get lucky.  Here is a picture printed out for me at Napa.  Sorry for the poor quality but is it possible it might be the right kit?

carb kit 25066A.jpg

CS-112 is a kit produced and sold by The Carburetor Shop.

With no offense meant, will never try to determine if another manufacturer's kit is correct. But hope you don't need the transmission to shift using the pictured kit.

And we have no intention of ever accepting orders by email, unless it is a confirmation of an order placed by telephone.

And there is an EXCELLENT reason for shipping to Canada Registered mail only. Its called insurance.

Jon.

7 minutes ago, carbking said:

CS-112 is a kit produced and sold by The Carburetor Shop.

With no offense meant, will never try to determine if another manufacturer's kit is correct. But hope you don't need the transmission to shift using the pictured kit.

And we have no intention of ever accepting orders by email, unless it is a confirmation of an order placed by telephone.

And there is an EXCELLENT reason for shipping to Canada Registered mail only. Its called insurance.

Jon.

You caught my interest by indicating that the transmission won't shift with the kit in the image???   Please explain why Jon? 

I can't seem to figure out the connect between EXCELLENT, registered mail, and insurance ???  I've been getting things shipped to me by various means including USPS, and various curriers,  either direct or through a customs broker.  Not once has anyone insisted that it be registered and insurance was always put to me as an option.

1 hour ago, carbking said:

Now do you see why we insist on telephone calls, and not emails?

Jon.

I'm with Jon. It is a damn sight quicker on the phone. See how you are wasting his time asking questions and waiting for a response. It is quicker to talk than type and wait and type and wait and ...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Spinneyhill said:

I'm with Jon. It is a damn sight quicker on the phone. See how you are wasting his time asking questions and waiting for a response. It is quicker to talk than type and wait and type and wait and ...

6 hours ago, carbking said:

Now do you see why we insist on telephone calls, and not emails?

Jon.

Not at all quite the contrary. Emails display documented verification of what someone said.  It's valuable reference material down the road, perhaps years later when you can't quite remember exactly what the person said.  Not only that but it's verifiable proof of what someone said.  Point in fact.  Just a few hours ago I was looking for a set of vehicle ramps.  I called the local auto parts store and the guy said he had a pair for about $40 .  I said I'd be right there.  They were in fact $80  for the pair.  When I mentioned about him saying that they were $40 for the pair.  He simply said I don't remember saying that.  It was no big deal I paid the $80 because that was about the market going price.  He just made a simple mistake on the phone.  My point being if were were using emails and the circumstances were difference, such as moving the decimal point a few times and 50% difference in the price would be huge.  But no question about who said what. 

I didn't realize I was wasting peoples time on here. I was under the impression that forums were a place to share ideas and thoughts and ask and answer questions.  When  someone has asked me a question on here, I reply with an answer.  I don't see it as my time being wasted.  Why would someone even contribute to a topic if they thought their time was wasted?   Not to worry Spinneyhill,  I won't be wasting anybody's time on here anymore.  Thanks to anyone who was willingly thoughtful enough to help me out and to spare some of their time.