48 Chrysler new owner looking for stuff and contacts

Hi there.  I just bought a 1948 Chrysler Windsor. It's in very good unmolested condition.  But it's been sitting and the carb will probably need rebuilding.  I'm in BC Canada and it would be nice to purchase items in Canada only because of the customs hassel and extra costs bringing in stuff from the US.  Two things I'm looking for are a rear window collapsible crank. I might be able to rebuild the one I have.  I've noticed that the drivers side cranks are different than the passenger side.  Drivers side have a yellowish plastic part that collapses.  That's the one I need.  The passenger side crank that collapse is all metal.  Plus the passenger side has a small phillips screw. The drivers side style has a pin hole on the side.  Perhaps if I stick a sewing needle in there it will release the plastic part.  Otherwise I don't see how I can possibly rebuild it.  Because that is the style that broke.  Perhaps someone can tell me which of those crank styles is correct for this car??

The other thing I need is the front carpeting  ( gray) .  I see a few places listing them but the pictures don't look the same.  Mine has a rubber piece over the inspection plate for the fluid drive filler plug. 

I appreciate any and all comments.

Cheers

Peter

Hi Peter welcome to the site. I have a 1953 Windsor. I’m in BC too.  I have some spare parts. Do you have a pic of the widow handle you need? I think I have some spares. They are the collapsing type.  Mine may be the same as your 48.  

I bring stuff up from the USA fairly often. What area are you in? I have a work-around for expensive shipping an brokerage. 

- Keith

Edited by keithb7 (see edit history)

When you say collapse do you mean the handle is hinged and hangs down? I know slightly later Chryslers had this style handle. I suspect the plastic ones are original and the metal ones later models that replaced the others when the plastic  cracked and broke. The plastic they used was never meant to last 80 years. I am more familiar with the 1949 - 52 model with the chrome handle.

Peter, welcome.  I also have a 48 Windsor that I'm (very) slowly working on.  The handles that keiser linked above are the correct ones for the car.  I have a mix of the correct ones and the later models that are all chrome that Rusty mentioned.  I also happen to have a few extra from a parts car and junkyard cars that I will put on mine eventually.  I've never seen any that are in great shape that aren't super expensive.   I have a some links for places and cards of folks that have odds and ends or that specialize for certain items but not for door handles.  However, this forum has a ton of knowledge and experience.  I also have a pretty good amount of literature that I'm kind of proud of.  I believe that there were two carbs for the Windors depending on serial numbers.  Both are not uncommon and I've seen re-build kits for them.  There are some NOS/NORS out there available but there are also newer kits.  I would start with Roberts or Bernbaum.  Same for the carpet.  There is also a company called that makes kick panels and glove boxes; I think they have carpet kits too...want to say their name is RCI or something like that.  I'd have check my garage for a box or my receipts to be sure.  This page has some links too:  https://www.chryslerclub.org/reproduction.html

Let me what you end up with for carpets, I need to replace all of mine after I do metal work and blast/paint.

Can you post some pics of the car?

Those lavaliere flippers have always been very pricey.

They were $20.00 or more back in the 70's. Unless you got very lucky at a swap meet and the seller didn't know what they fit and the rarity of them.

The Lucite clear one  is the 1946-48 Chrysler mid to upper line cars.

The middle is 1941-42 Chrysler and bottom is 1949-53 2 dr rear... short handle ...some models.

1941-53 Chrysler Lavalier Flipper Window Handles (1).JPG

1941-53 Chrysler Lavalier Flipper Window Handles (2).JPG

Edited by c49er
More info and pics. (see edit history)

On 6/25/2019 at 8:07 AM, keithb7 said:

Hi Peter welcome to the site. I have a 1953 Windsor. I’m in BC too.  I have some spare parts. Do you have a pic of the widow handle you need? I think I have some spares. They are the collapsing type.  Mine may be the same as your 48.  

I bring stuff up from the USA fairly often. What area are you in? I have a work-around for expensive shipping an brokerage. 

- Keith

Hi keith, I'm in Sidney BC.  The window crank is the same as the ones that keiser posted pics of

On 6/25/2019 at 8:50 AM, Rusty_OToole said:

When you say collapse do you mean the handle is hinged and hangs down? I know slightly later Chryslers had this style handle. I suspect the plastic ones are original and the metal ones later models that replaced the others when the plastic  cracked and broke. The plastic they used was never meant to last 80 years. I am more familiar with the 1949 - 52 model with the chrome handle.

It actually snapped off internally.  I'll try to take some close up pics of it.  There is a tiny hole on the side and I'm wondering if I stick a sewing needle in the hole if it will release something and allow the plastic end to come out.

On 6/25/2019 at 8:52 AM, Rusty_OToole said:

The carb is pretty simple except for the electric switches. If the throttle shaft is not worn and the float not leaking you can rebuild it yourself or get a local mechanic to do it.

Yes I went to my local napa store and they can bring in a carb kit overnight.  But I've heard that there is more than one model of the carter B&B carb.  Embossed on the side of the venturi is

6-431 They came up with a part number 25066A

On 6/25/2019 at 7:37 PM, christianad1156 said:

Peter, welcome.  I also have a 48 Windsor that I'm (very) slowly working on.  The handles that keiser linked above are the correct ones for the car.  I have a mix of the correct ones and the later models that are all chrome that Rusty mentioned.  I also happen to have a few extra from a parts car and junkyard cars that I will put on mine eventually.  I've never seen any that are in great shape that aren't super expensive.   I have a some links for places and cards of folks that have odds and ends or that specialize for certain items but not for door handles.  However, this forum has a ton of knowledge and experience.  I also have a pretty good amount of literature that I'm kind of proud of.  I believe that there were two carbs for the Windors depending on serial numbers.  Both are not uncommon and I've seen re-build kits for them.  There are some NOS/NORS out there available but there are also newer kits.  I would start with Roberts or Bernbaum.  Same for the carpet.  There is also a company called that makes kick panels and glove boxes; I think they have carpet kits too...want to say their name is RCI or something like that.  I'd have check my garage for a box or my receipts to be sure.  This page has some links too:  https://www.chryslerclub.org/reproduction.html

Let me what you end up with for carpets, I need to replace all of mine after I do metal work and blast/paint.

Thanks for all that info christian.  Interestingly the crank handles on the drivers side are the ones keiser linked to with the plastic inserts.  But on the passenger side they are the solid metal ones a bit longer.  In my research I've discovered a couple versions of that style  Mine are one piece as opposed to the ones that look like they are split down the centre.  Mine have a philips screw on the inside.  But both of them seem to be in fine shape.  However now that I've been told that the plastic ones are the correct ones I'd eventually like to get them all matching.  My front floor carpet is in good enough shape to take a pattern off of it.  Actually it just has a few worn spots and that horsehair backing is missing in a few places.  If I can't track down one on line I might try to get some period correct material and make my own carpet.  I have an awesome pfaff 145 sewing machine that I'm pretty handy with.

On 6/25/2019 at 8:11 PM, c49er said:

They were $20.00 or more back in the 70's. Unless you got very lucky at a swap meet and the seller didn't know what they fit and the rarity of them.

Yes the prices of them on ebay are not cheap once I convert them to Canadian currency and add shipping and maybe even brokerage fee.

On 6/25/2019 at 8:52 AM, Rusty_OToole said:

The carb is pretty simple except for the electric switches. If the throttle shaft is not worn and the float not leaking you can rebuild it yourself or get a local mechanic to do it.

What do you mean by saying "except for the electric switches" ?  The car comes with a nice thick service manual, so I might try to clean out the carb and put a kit in it myself.  

You mentioned RCI.  Do you mean RCI Upholstery in  Belle Plaine MN ?

9 hours ago, timecapsule said:

Yes I went to my local napa store and they can bring in a carb kit overnight.  But I've heard that there is more than one model of the carter B&B carb.  Embossed on the side of the venturi is

6-431 They came up with a part number 25066A

6-431 is a casting number and totally meaningless!

By 1948, the identification is STAMPED (this is a recessed number/letter combination, NOT RAISED) on the top casting of the BBR-1.

Orient the carburetor such that the fuel inlet is on your right. On the top casting you will read "Carter Carburetor manufactured for Chrysler" or something similar. The stamped identification is ABOVE the cast in wording.

Once you have the identification, you can locate the correct rebuilding kit here:

http://www.thecarburetorshop.com/Kchrysler1.htm

Jon.

Edited by carbking (see edit history)
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, The 55er said:

That trim piece on the rear side of the front fender came from a 1959 Chrysler Windsor, mounts on the outside of the car next to the taillight. 

Thanks. I figured that is what it was, but I guess my next question is, why is it there? Probably someone's idea to "dress up" the car.

10 minutes ago, The 55er said:

That trim piece on the rear side of the front fender came from a 1959 Chrysler Windsor, mounts on the outside of the car next to the taillight. 

11 minutes ago, The 55er said:

Thank you for that info 55er.  I was scratching my head when keiser asked that question.  The other oddity is the chrysler emblem on the side of the rear fenders.  it's not supposed to be there.  Although in the picture it's not really clear but even though it looks like an authentic emblem, the font style is slightly different.  I'll take a better close up of the emblem so everyone can see soon.  The letter r doesn't go up above the horizontal part of the r just before it sloops down to finish the letter.

I'm applying for collector plate here in BC.  They want lots of photos and they have lots of restrictions.  There can't even be stone chips in the paint.  According to the rules.  But every 70 plus year old car has stone chips.  Anyways I'm wondering if they will reject the collector plate application because of these two things. If I took them off they would refuse it because of the holes.

You mentioned RCI.  Do you mean RCI Upholstery in  Belle Plaine MN ?

15 hours ago, timecapsule said:

What do you mean by saying "except for the electric switches" ?  The car comes with a nice thick service manual, so I might try to clean out the carb and put a kit in it myself.  

Your car used a simple Carter single barrel carburetor, that was also used on many other cars especially those built by the Chrysler corporation.

The only unique feature was 2 electrical switches used to control the semi automatic transmission. One is actuated when the throttle is fully closed, the other when the throttle is fully open. These switches are themselves simple and seldom give trouble.

So, if you wish to overhaul the carburetor you can get a kit and do it yourself. Use the instructions in your service manual, do not go by the sheet that comes with the rebuild kit, they are incomplete and filled with errors.

Carbking may have something to add, and I am sure he could rebuild your carb if you ask him nice.

2 hours ago, Rusty_OToole said:

So, if you wish to overhaul the carburetor you can get a kit and do it yourself. Use the instructions in your service manual, do not go by the sheet that comes with the rebuild kit, they are incomplete and filled with errors.

Carbking may have something to add.

X2 on using the service manual!

The sheets contained in the inexpensive repair kits are of the universal "one size fits all, is correct for none"!

Jon.

On 6/28/2019 at 5:46 AM, carbking said:

6-431 is a casting number and totally meaningless!

By 1948, the identification is STAMPED (this is a recessed number/letter combination, NOT RAISED) on the top casting of the BBR-1.

Orient the carburetor such that the fuel inlet is on your right. On the top casting you will read "Carter Carburetor manufactured for Chrysler" or something similar. The stamped identification is ABOVE the cast in wording.

Once you have the identification, you can locate the correct rebuilding kit here:

http://www.thecarburetorshop.com/Kchrysler1.htm

Jon.

I don't have the car right in front of me and I won't have for a few more days.  But I do have this picture of the carb and it sounds like from the location you described, to be the right place to look, but I don't see any stamped id # Jon.  ??

carb.jpg

It appears that there is a limit for the number of messages I can send per day, which is quite strange.  But it is what it is, so if you don't hear back from me the same day you post your message to me, than that's probably the reason.  I really appreciate all the input and advice.  You guys really know your stuff.  Thanks to all. 

3 hours ago, timecapsule said:

It appears that there is a limit for the number of messages I can send per day, which is quite strange.

It is the photo size. You can post up to 9.77 MB in one session, which may be one photo or 10 if you resize them. You can put more up if you leave the forum and come back in.

Regarding those inappropriate emblems on my car.  I'm assuming there will be mounting holes in the front and rear fenders that hold the two "chrysler" nameplate and the 59 rear fender trim.  Hopefully there will only be two holes for each totaling 8 holes and I'm guessing they will be somewhere between 1/8 and 3/16 " in diameter. I'm thinking my ultimate goal will be to have the holes tig welded closed, then find a painter magician to paint the area ( probably 4 in. circle or so) to blend into the rest of the paint. 

Until then, does anyone know of a plug that might fill that hole.  Plastic probably and I could paint them red.  I know it will still look weird but not as weird as those fender trim pieces.  Even just leaving an open hole would probably look better.  

On ‎6‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 11:11 PM, c49er said:

The Lucite clear one  is the 1946-48 Chrysler mid to upper line cars.

The middle is 1941-42 Chrysler and bottom is 1949-53 2 dr rear... short handle ...some models.

1941-53 Chrysler Lavalier Flipper Window Handles (1).JPG

1941-53 Chrysler Lavalier Flipper Window Handles (2).JPG

Hi Peter

I have one of the flippers like the one pictured directly above. Not the crank handle, just the flipper. It is in pretty nice shape with a small scuff on a corner of the Lucite. The spring works OK and the little round shank seems all right. I found it years ago in a box of junk parts at a swap meet and it was just too cool to leave so I bought it, brought it home, polished it up and then tried to figure out what it fit. If you want it, send me a PM with your address. I can send it to you and we can dicker about a price later. It would be much more at home on a car than in my collection of odds and ends::)

Jim near London Ontario

39 minutes ago, 36 D2 Coupe said:

Hi Peter

I have one of the flippers like the one pictured directly above. Not the crank handle, just the flipper. It is in pretty nice shape with a small scuff on a corner of the Lucite. The spring works OK and the little round shank seems all right. I found it years ago in a box of junk parts at a swap meet and it was just too cool to leave so I bought it, brought it home, polished it up and then tried to figure out what it fit. If you want it, send me a PM with your address. I can send it to you and we can dicker about a price later. It would be much more at home on a car than in my collection of odds and ends::)

Jim near London Ontario

Thanks Jim.  I'll PM you.  The part I really need is the small tubular piece that connects the flipper to the handle shaft.  

12 hours ago, timecapsule said:

Thanks for the great pics c49er.  I'm curious why the term "air horn" is used?  How does that anti-stall control work?

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.......

A velocity stack', 'trumpet, or air horn, is a trumpet-shaped device of differing lengths which is fitted to the air entry of an engine's intake system, carburetor or fuel injection.

The  Anti Stall component mounted on top of the carb is a small solenoid that  causes a slow return to idle preventing the engine from stalling coming to a sudden stop.

It is energized when the trans governor points are closed pulling a small steel ball onto it's seat blocking off the main dash pot plunger port forcing the fuel through a small port .

The dash pot plunger is connected to the carburetor base throttle linkage

This causes the dash pot plunger to return slower to the idle position in it's bore.

So when coming to a sudden hard stop this prevents the possibility of the engine stalling out. Used only on cars with a fluid drive and the M-5 and M-6 transmissions.

Also there is a mechanical type dash pot used on some model of cars.

10 minutes ago, c49er said:

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.......

A velocity stack', 'trumpet, or air horn, is a trumpet-shaped device of differing lengths which is fitted to the air entry of an engine's intake system, carburetor or fuel injection.

The  Anti Stall component mounted on top of the carb is a small solenoid that  causes a slow return to idle preventing the engine from stalling coming to a sudden stop.

It is energized when the trans governor points are closed pulling a small steel ball onto it's seat blocking off the main dash pot plunger port forcing the fuel through a small port .

The dash pot plunger is connected to the carburetor base throttle linkage

This causes the dash pot plunger to return slower to the idle position in it's bore.

So when coming to a sudden hard stop this prevents the possibility of the engine stalling out. Used only on cars with a fluid drive and the M-5 and M-6 transmissions.

Also there is a mechanical type dash pot used on some model of cars.

Well how about that.  Never too old to learn. After all theses decades I'd never heard of the velocity stack referred to as an air horn.  Good to know. 

So if this Anti Stall mechanism or solenoid should fail, how would one determine that it was actually that particular thing that was causing the engine to stall.  In other words is there a particular way to troubleshoot it?  If it does fail can it be repaired or rebuilt ?  Or can it be purchased as NOS ?  

There at least three different of the anti-stall solenoids used by Chrysler. Would need to know the carburetor identification to look up the correct solenoid. Probably have it. There are others used on the Stromberg carburetors. The ones used by Carter are much less expensive than the ones used by Stromberg.

Jon.