Sign in to follow this  
mensanguy

Beautiful Interior But-------!

Imagine being out for a drive in your TC with the top down on a beautiful day, and stopping for a light behind someone.

Then BAM!-some jerk plows Into you so hard that you crash into the car in front of you hard enough to push you under that car,  all the while destroying the back-end of your car.

That appears to be what happened to this car in Wheeling Il.. Located at Copart, it came in without a top, indicating it was being driven without. The middle of the car looks great, including a pristine looking interior. The rest didn't fare so well.  Could be a great opportunity for someone looking for a super clean interior though.  Check it out here--

https://www.copart.com/lot/39603159

30 minutes ago, mensanguy said:

Imagine being out for a drive in your TC with the top down on a beautiful day, and stopping for a light behind someone.

Then BAM!-some jerk plows Into you so hard that you crash into the car in front of you hard enough to push you under that car,  all the while destroying the back-end of your car.

That appears to be what happened to this car in Wheeling Il.. Located at Copart, it came in without a top, indicating it was being driven without. The middle of the car looks great, including a pristine looking interior. The rest didn't fare so well.  Could be a great opportunity for someone looking for a super clean interior though.  Check it out here--

https://www.copart.com/lot/39603159

Notice one important thing! Both doors are still able to be opened, showing what a well constructed car the TC is. This would not be so with a LeBaron that would fold in the center.

This is due to the reinforced subframe of the TC, not found in any of the other FWD cars by Chrysler. 

That's EXACTLY how the '91 parts car I got looked in the rear! The hard top was on it and the impact actually broke the one pin of the hard top. Muffler was basically untouched! LOL

Same for that car, both doors opened and shut with no issues and even still sealed!

As Hemi Dude pointed out, the TC utilizes a unique unibody from any other Turbo Mopar. After having cut up 2 of them I can say that they incorporate a doubled floor, reinforced rockers, and the brace that goes across the back of the car between the wheel wells is hefty. The design of the doubled floor is different than the LeBaron, and the way the rockers are reinforced is also different than the later J-bodies that got rid of the "spine brace" that caused the center tunnel to be so wide on those cars. It also feels like the actual sheet metal of the TC is thicker. I haven't measured it, but the way they eat up sawzall blades is incredible! The *only* addition that I think these cars can benefit from out of the box would be to triangulate the strut towers to the firewall. My TC has FAR less cowl shake than my LeBaron did, but it's still there. Triangulating the strut towers would stabilize the entire front of the car better.

That was my car.  You are correct about the wreck.  The armrest is worn but not cracked through.  The driver seat has the normal wear on the side but no cracks in the seats.  The mileage is correct but condition of motor is unknown.  It has the CD player but insurance would not let me take it out.  I will definitely get another TC and would very much like to get the CD player mostly because of rarity.  I just don't know how to get it. 

You, or anyone, can bid on this car, online at Copart.it probably wont bring over $300

Breaks my heart seeing such a beautiful TC wrecked. They are very solid cars, that's for sure. A LeBaron wouldn't have held up that well in a accident like that...especially when they get a bit rusty-they literally break in half. That car is a harvest of good parts though. 

lebaron.jpg

Mac48, the slave CD players come up for sale on the other forums regularly, and if you ask, you'll probably get offered a bunch of them. Just make sure to get the adapter cable that goes between the slave CD and the head unit as that isn't in the wiring harness.