The Chicken truck at Hershey!

Very much updated with a/c etc.  However, still cool and it is being used and will be driven extensively.  Given they have many other unique vehicles that have been authentically restored they can be "forgiven" on this one.  The crowd loved this truck which was in a parade this past weekend.

Hmmm.  nice but wonder what comes out of the back end when you open the door. Eggzaust of course!

Terry

Edited by Terry Bond (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

I do not believe it is a wrap but who knows, they do it very well these days.  Looks painted and clear coated to me.  To you two jokesters, this was in a parade for RM"s 40th anniversary and charity event.  One of the owners wanted to release 40 chickens out the back during the parade...I am sure that would have gone over real well.  I did tell them that the shifter knob has to be in the shape of an egg!  Interior is embroidered with a chicken logo as well.

1 hour ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

I do not believe it is a wrap but who knows, they do it very well these days.  Looks painted and clear coated to me.  To you two jokesters, this was in a parade for RM"s 40th anniversary and charity event.  One of the owners wanted to release 40 chickens out the back during the parade...I am sure that would have gone over real well.  I did tell them that the shifter knob has to be in the shape of an egg!  Interior is embroidered with a chicken logo as well.

That couldn't be as bad as WKRP's turkey drop promotion.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Eggcellent restoration!  ;)

Seriously, I like it - may be updated but original looked pretty primitive.  I do think they should put the sign on the side - it was built originally as an advertisement and doesn't make sense without that context.

I'll bet having it finally restored is a real boost to the owners eggo.

I'm off to Chick-Fil-a for one of their classic chicken sandwiches right now.  I do seriously think it would be great having this at Hershey along side the Good Humor Ice Cream truck selling chicken sandwiches.  It's really cool - seriously.

Terry

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mercer09 said:

Seriously, I like it - may be updated but original looked pretty primitive

eggzactly why I like antique cars.

If I wtd a new car.............................................

Meh - to each, his own.  But what I meant is the chicken looked primitive, as in not realistically painted.  The truck also looks better with its fresh white and black paint instead of the yellow and red patina although I doubt anyone would confuse it with a new car.  For the record, I also like the "primitive" look of antique cars, but I like them shiny as original.

9 hours ago, Brass is Best said:

Known predators of the chicken truck include: 

1968_mercury_cougar_xr7_1532212719cd20849E2048-01033-940x627.jpg

fox-body-buyers-guide-2018-04-02_18-27-48_970207.jpg

jaguar-e-type-series-11_800x0w.jpg

Andrew,

So, you're saying that Jaguars, Mustangs, and Cougars have FOWL INTENTIONS ?

Are you being CATTY, or just Horsing around?

And I wonder if a VIPER might also enter the Pit?

1 hour ago, Marty Roth said:

Andrew,

So, you're saying that Jaguars, Mustangs, and Cougars have FOWL INTENTIONS ?

Are you being CATTY, or just Horsing around?

And I wonder if a VIPER might also enter the Pit?

Marty, I was thinking FOX body on the mustang but you have the idea. Perhaps of these would protect the chicken truck...

https___blogs-images.forbes.com_samabuelsamid_files_2019_05_2019-ford-Ranger-Lariat-12-of-18-1200x794.jpg

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Restorer32 said:

I wonder how long it took the Sanders to smooth down that body ?

Maybe you should ask the Colonel, he would know.

Seriously, I do like the truck.

14 hours ago, Terry Bond said:

I do seriously think it would be great having this at Hershey along side the Good Humor Ice Cream truck selling chicken sandwiches.  It's really cool - seriously.

Terry

If Hershey region really wants to go to Eggstremes they should see if they can get the Oscar Mayer Wiener Mobile to come to Fall Hershey. That would surely boost Hot Dog sales. Throw in the Hershey Kiss-Mobile which is sometime there. That would make for one Dog-Gone, Sweet, Good Time!

On 6/24/2019 at 10:39 AM, mercer09 said:

too bad it didnt stay original

looks "updated".........

23 hours ago, mercer09 said:

Seriously, I like it - may be updated but original looked pretty primitive

eggzactly why I like antique cars.

If I wtd a new car.............................................

I was a buyer- in original state............

LOL

couldnt give it to me now.

thought that thing got turned in about 12 years ago...........

"cash for cluckers"

OK, we get that you don't like it.  :rolleyes:

• Haha 1

• 2 years later...

So, it seems that there were 9 of these trucks made (the 1954 truck variant.  there were other years made too.  I read an article on the Hershey chicken truck in Hemmings motor news and realized that I knew where there was another one of these trucks.  As fate would have it the restaurant that owned it (white fence farms, Denver) had just gone under so i bought the truck off of them.  They had taken it off the original truck and had grafted it onto several trucks over the years till it ended up on a 96 chevy PU.  I am currently in the process of restoring a 55 Ford pickup to put it back onto and paint the original colors.     

chicken_dinner_candy_mobile-494x316.jpg.35edf187885cb73bd318df219dbeb77c.jpg1900470020_Chickentrucks.jpg.6addf0e56aa39e93c0660bf3f5ce96f3.jpg1287422699_whitefencefarms.jpg.606daac8c6b497a77db6f6eb4d5412bf.jpg821569325_ChickenTruck5.jpg.d145ba615ca823bab19bb4eb702ce778.jpg

Edited by AllenShmaefsky (see edit history)
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1