Sign in to follow this  
mrcvs

Long term storage of car outside

Recommended Posts

The shelter shown by Dave39MD looks much sturdier then one offered on Amazon, my concern would be wind and snow. The weight of any snow on the roof could cause things to collapse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/23/2019 at 7:25 AM, mrcvs said:

I knew that when I bought this place, so it's not like it's any surprise.  A stone farmhouse with, at a minimum, a new kitchen needed and additional cosmetic work, with an awesome barn and ten acres is a hard sell when, for less, you can get a brand new house on 0.27 acres ready to move into.  Well, not for me.  Guess which one I wanted.  With my wife breathing down my neck, and the in-laws and some of her siblings telling me what a dope I was, I wasn't going to win that argument.

 

Just curious when you say Allentown suburbs did that include looking south of Emmaus in the Bally, Boyertown and Oley areas?

As you probably know, the Allentown area is basically the bedroom community for Northern NJ and NYC. That has what has driven home prices in that area for the last 10-15+ years.

 

The area I mentioned above may have homes in your price range without restrictions and more land. Unfortunately, I get the impression that this would not be an option with the wife being used to a "new" home or a longer work commute distance.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Depends on where you put it. I have a Leader cover I use when a car needs to go in the grotto for a few days.

 

Forgot to mention but a half dozen moth balls scattered under the hood can hep to reduce being a rodent meal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have you considered a pre-built garage?  They are delivered to your home, fully built, and rolled of a truck onto your concrete pad or even a simple gravel foundation.  A friend of mine who lives on a modest suburban lot in the outskirts of Baltimore, purchased one several years ago and was very happy with it. The floor was plywood, and it looked very nice.  Not a lot of room to work on the car, of course (unless you order a deluxe model), but it protects your car and is less expensive than having a garage built.

 

Here's a place in Parkesburg, Pa.. https://waterloostructures.net/garage-classic.php  You can get a modest sized one (10' x 16'), painted wood siding, for around $3600 and for more money you can get larger and fancier ones.

 

There are probably quite a number of these places in the Allentown area.

 

These are permanent structures.  Unlike a carport or vinyl structure, the neighbors wouldn't complain.  And it would actually add value to your home.  Of course, then your taxes would go up...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Prices look good but that $4.00/mile delivery could hurt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jon37 said:

Have you considered a pre-built garage?  They are delivered to your home, fully built, and rolled of a truck onto your concrete pad or even a simple gravel foundation.  A friend of mine who lives on a modest suburban lot in the outskirts of Baltimore, purchased one several years ago and was very happy with it. The floor was plywood, and it looked very nice.  Not a lot of room to work on the car, of course (unless you order a deluxe model), but it protects your car and is less expensive than having a garage built.

 

Here's a place in Parkesburg, Pa.. https://waterloostructures.net/garage-classic.php  You can get a modest sized one (10' x 16'), painted wood siding, for around $3600 and for more money you can get larger and fancier ones.

 

There are probably quite a number of these places in the Allentown area.

 

These are permanent structures.  Unlike a carport or vinyl structure, the neighbors wouldn't complain.  And it would actually add value to your home.  Of course, then your taxes would go up...

They are all over the place here in Lancaster County PA.  When I purchased my 10x16 shed they recommended placing it on gravel so the rainwater would drain off and keep wood rot to a minimum.  Pine Creek structures is a big manufacturer of these along with numerous Amish craftsmen who have businesses all around here.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If handy, might also check Home Depot or Lowes. They have 12x20 kits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 06/24/2019 at 12:50 PM, charlier said:

 

Just curious when you say Allentown suburbs did that include looking south of Emmaus in the Bally, Boyertown and Oley areas?

As you probably know, the Allentown area is basically the bedroom community for Northern NJ and NYC. That has what has driven home prices in that area for the last 10-15+ years.

 

The area I mentioned above may have homes in your price range without restrictions and more land. Unfortunately, I get the impression that this would not be an option with the wife being used to a "new" home or a longer work commute distance.

 

 

Exactly!

 

Due to Route 22 and 78 traffic getting worse than ever (and the Eye 22 bridge project never seems to get done), we are as far out as she wants to be.  Unless maybe Saucon Valley, but that ain't cheap, either.

 

It's unfortunate NYC and NJ transplants have ruined it out here.  Many live in my neighborhood and bring their big city attitudes with them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 06/24/2019 at 3:08 PM, Jon37 said:

Have you considered a pre-built garage?  They are delivered to your home, fully built, and rolled of a truck onto your concrete pad or even a simple gravel foundation.  A friend of mine who lives on a modest suburban lot in the outskirts of Baltimore, purchased one several years ago and was very happy with it. The floor was plywood, and it looked very nice.  Not a lot of room to work on the car, of course (unless you order a deluxe model), but it protects your car and is less expensive than having a garage built.

 

Here's a place in Parkesburg, Pa.. https://waterloostructures.net/garage-classic.php  You can get a modest sized one (10' x 16'), painted wood siding, for around $3600 and for more money you can get larger and fancier ones.

 

There are probably quite a number of these places in the Allentown area.

 

These are permanent structures.  Unlike a carport or vinyl structure, the neighbors wouldn't complain.  And it would actually add value to your home.  Of course, then your taxes would go up...

HOA won't allow that.  Socialism.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Take home message here.  If you like old cars, avoid neighborhoods.

 

Also a good idea to avoid your wife...for awhile...

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

HOA should reconsider.  Here is a our 10 x20 prefab outbuilding (Amish made, shipped here from PA!).  Improves the yard, imho.   Will hold an A plus a ton o junk... 😄

20190524_155818.jpg

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In Florida, unless that wood ramp is Cedar, it would get eaten.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, mrcvs said:

Take home message here.  If you like old cars, avoid neighborhoods.

 

Also a good idea to avoid your wife...for awhile...

 

I'm one of the lucky ones I guess.

My wife never ONCE questioned any of my numerous tractor purchases or sales or where I was many many many nights working after hours on my antique tractors.

There are plenty of worse places I could have been and she knew it. 

She even came to call the tractors my iron ladies.

That was not only greatly appreciated by me but wound up quite beneficial to both of us when I turned one tractor into a new house for us.

I didn't REALLY want to sell that one but she deserved it (and I wanted that house too).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Also a good idea to avoid your wife...for awhile...

 

 

I moved mine to Upstate NY for quite awhile now. I can have as many cars as I want and nobody bothers me.............

 

that's called- peace of mind!

 

I live in NJ- close enough!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this