Harry Guggenheim's 1961 Cadillac

I was in NY this weekend and visited Sands Point along with the estate built by the Guggenheims. While at the Falaise House, part of the tour included a 1961 Cadillac limousine rusting away under 1 of 4 garaged spaces in the French-Normandie styled house.

I asked if the car was for sale and the tour lady replied with a resounding "no." And stated they had given up on the car since it was hard to find parts. WHAT!?! I couldn't believe it, the car is just sitting there soaking in the elements and neglected because they apparently have nobody on staff who knows where to find these parts. The interior is blue vinyl, foot rests on the floor in the rear, and those beautiful fins in the back. Everything seems to be in excellent condition except for the hood which sticks out just enough to get rainwater poured on it. Thus, the front edge of the hood has rusted from exposure.

What a shame they won't sell it or inquire about a local club fixing it.

Guest Randy Berger

The worst part of this is the lady who responded and all the others with any responsibility call themselves "conservators". I've seen this time and time again with estates/property donated to a state for preservation and a group of know-nothings wind up running the show.

YFAM, Randy Berger

Let's not get started on the Nassau county museum system, not only is the Caddy deteriorating but so are practically all the buildings at Sands Point, Old Bethpage etc, and even Lindbergh's Ford Falcon! The neglect is absolutely criminal, lets hope the new administration can find the funding to effect some much needed changes or at least privatise it like the Cradle of Aviation museum.

Hey there LI.

Let me bring you up to date. When explaining the cadillac, she mentioned the Guggenheim relatives were down visiting and were absolutely shocked at the state of the Ford Falcon. So they have agreed to pay for it to be restored. It is currently away being fixed and scheduled to be back soon.

"Chinqua-Penn", the Jeff & Betsy Penn estate in Reidsville NC, had Mrs. Betsy Schoellkopf Penn's 1960 Fleetwood Seventy-Five formal sedan that was getting in much the same shape. When I started volunteer work there in 1995, one of my first projects was to clean up the Cadillac to at least get the sap and mold off it. Eventually several Greensboro area AACA members took it on and repainted it. Not a show winning job, but presentable and at least preserved it for a few more years.

Unfortunately, Chinqua-Penn has closed again due to lack of funding (and I suspect some mismanagement) so neither the mansion, the worldwide antique and treasure collections, nor the Cadillac will be shared with the public again in the foreseeable future.

From past posts, I know a lot of DFers absolutely disdain volunteer work, but AACA folks can help these estates preserve the transportation. Don't wait for them to ask for help. Get a bunch of yourselves together and ask them how you can help with the cars. If nothing else, wash them once in a while.

Besides, you can take a tax deduction for your volunteer time and donations if the foundations are set up properly.

Betsy Penn was the heir to the Niagara Falls Power Company fortune and Jeff Penn was The American Tobacco Company's magnate. They built the house in 1925 and furnished it with antique collections from their world travels. Of all places to see a bit of the house interior, rent the Frank Langella version of "Lolita". It was filmed at Chinqua-Penn, though things were, of course, altered for the movie set.