Sign in to follow this  
Hudsy Wudsy

1933 Pierce Arrow on C/L near Grand Rapids MI

Posted (edited)

I came across a Pierce Arrow for sale on C/L -- not something that happens everyday. I have no idea what would be a fair price for it in it's present state, but have a look:

https://grandrapids.craigslist.org/cto/d/spring-lake-1933-pierce-arrow/6906615557.html

Edited by Hudsy Wudsy (see edit history)
  • Like 1

If it has an engine and tranny that isn't a boat anchor I imagine the value is most in that.  Could yield a few parts but many of the good pieces are already missing.  The high nose makes me thing the engine bay may be vacant as well. Very expensive restoration.  What's a good one you can drive home go for?  30 to 40? I would say this has to be less than 5G if it has no powertrain,  unless someone needs some pieces real bad. 

17 minutes ago, mike brady said:

The metal side mount covers might be the most desirable part of the car. 

I was thinking that and the tail light.  Maybe the steering wheel if it's not roached or gauges.  That's where I came up with the 5 G. 

Posted (edited)

I am surprised by how little money these cars are. If this was a Chrysler imperial I imagine the price would be far higher. This is a full Classic is it not ? Are there not very many non -sedan Classic Pierce's that need parts cars?  Are Pierce Arrows undesirable classics ? There has to be an entire chassis and much of the front end sheet metal that would interchange with a Roadster , Coupe or Phaeton. The only thing I see missing is the grille. Why is a brass era steering box usually $1000.00 . A Classic PA steering box is scrap value ? Same with a rear end ?

Greg in Canada

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

The PA steering box is a $2800 overhaul. It is MUST DO. I have seen the movie. 

Those parts are all very valuable and overcharged for when really "Needed".  Ask me how I know, I have a 36 Cord.  Until someone needs them , though,  they have the same value as a model t steering box,  just above scrap.  I have boxes full of Cord Mechanical parts that all need restoration.  Right now they are buried in a corner and will be until I probably sell the car and curse the owner with all the spare Gold you can't toss out because it fits a Cord. 

My running driving 31 cost 15k on eBay and several people think it was on the high side...

94F968A5-A445-46DA-9297-E245FE8A65E5.jpeg

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

Sounds like a bit of a catch 22. That explains why when I find a part I need I get the impression it either also fits a popular model of helicopter or is made of platinum . And any parts I try to sell are clearly made of lead.

Judging by the price on the above sedan Pierce Arrows must be the cheapest Classic out there. People around here want that sort of $ for Buicks , not even very good Buicks at times.  Too bad there are only a very  very small handful of Pierce Arrow's in Western Canada . I definitely would be tempted to buy one.

Greg in Canada

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Mark Wetherbee said:

My running driving 31 cost 15k on eBay and several people think it was on the high side...

Beautiful car!

Mark,

not even close to the high side. you stole it and obviously are having a lot of fun with it.

the whole PA mkt is down, because the 80 yr old guys arent around any more.

Ask Ed.

He sold a lovely coupe at Hershey last fall in the mid 20's. It was a great bargain.

I know the car..........it's parts........and not too many...........the guy who has it is a nice guy, and trying to get the most out of it......which is what we all do. I couldn't even justify hauling it home if it were free..........but that is just me. There is just too much damaged, missing, rusty, and unusable today......when you can buy a car that runs and drives for so much less. 

14 hours ago, Mark Wetherbee said:

No, NOT on the high side......I wold have placed a value on it at 20K all day long. Nice car, fun project, drive and restore as needed while having fun......what more could you ask for? I think you have the best public transaction on a Pierce that I have seen in twenty years. 

• Like 4

I think the car in question should get a Mustang II suspension and a Hemi.  LOL

When I was a kid a guy in the neighborhood had a PA. I would love to have one just like Marks.

Tell me if one shows up on the market, Even a restored one might be doable, but I kinda like original.

Remember, buy high, enjoy and leave it for the estate to deal with.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

At 15,000 I think that PA was a steal. If I had any place to put it (or any extra money), I might have been competing with you.

Edited by JV Puleo (see edit history)

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Mark Wetherbee said:

Actually a nice car and I would say a well bought price - just  keep it going mechanically and upgrading it slowly.  My guess is some elbow grease and old fashioned paste wax (or turtle wax cleaner wax if you are careful as it does have a mild abrasive and can eat through chalked/dead paint quickly and especially original pinstripes) will spiff it up nicely.  Also, some steel wool with penetrating oil on it may clean your bumpers up too.  

Sidenote: Some people like them and some do not, though I have a nice pair of Dietz Pierce script amber flat lens fog lamps w/proper brackets that would look very nice (especially a 1929-1931 car).

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)

Of course I agree that you got a very good deal. What is the interior like ? Have you posted pictures on the forum some place ? If not, could you please add several so we can see the condition. I love sedans of the period every bit as much as the open cars. Have felt that way for 70 years. Elegant, cozy, and that delicious aroma !    -   Carl 

Posted (edited)
On 6/20/2019 at 6:47 PM, auburnseeker said:

If it has an engine and tranny that isn't a boat anchor I imagine the value is most in that.  Could yield a few parts but many of the good pieces are already missing.  The high nose makes me thing the engine bay may be vacant as well. Very expensive restoration.  What's a good one you can drive home go for?  30 to 40? I would say this has to be less than 5G if it has no powertrain,  unless someone needs some pieces real bad. 

Fact is.........only a few parts of a car are desirable and valuable. How many 1933 Pierce eight engines would you like, I can deliver half a dozen to you by Sunday. Same on the transmissions. Ditto for front and rear ends.  Chrome, lights, bumpers, dash, all are in demand. Doors, fenders, Body, and hard parts are available by the ton. Shame of it is, picking up the car and taking it home exceeds the value just in fuel..........add in tolls, wear and tear, time, hotels, food, and labor to cut it up......even for free your in the hole thousands. Doesn’t matter make, Model, or year.......just the facts of the hobby changing. 

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I don't doubt what you are saying  Ed. But we don't all live on the East Coast.  I am not saying the CL Pierce is any special deal but out here in that big expanse of rocks and trees between Washington State and Alaska { British Columbia} ANY Pierce Arrow is a true rarity. There are a few very nice cars here, but sky high in price on the rare occasion one hits the market. Interesting cars that don't require a second mortgage almost never appear for sale in these parts. Months if not years go by before you see anything pre war for sale  beyond the usual Ford, Chevy, Dodge level cars. Buick's are even rare . I am sure there are great opportunities close to where you reside but for those of us in the North West wilderness a project Pierce is the stuff of dreams. North America is a very big place. Unfortunately Project Classics are not evenly distributed.

Greg in Canada

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

What you pay in shipping a car from anywhere else even overseas will reward you greatly as opposed to rebuilding a stripped out carcass that needs parts shipped in from all of these places to fix.  It's like living in the Northeast USA and buying Florida or California cars because many of the cars around here have experienced "exposure" that is extremely expensive in time and money to reverse the effects of.  The good part is you are dealing with high end enough cars that the value of shipping is a much smaller percentage than say a 70's Pickup where you could easily spend the cost of purchase to get the truck to you. 

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, auburnseeker said:

What you pay in shipping a car from anywhere else even overseas will reward you greatly as opposed to rebuilding a stripped out carcass that needs parts shipped in from all of these places to fix.  It's like living in the Northeast USA and buying Florida or California cars because many of the cars around here have experienced "exposure" that is extremely expensive in time and money to reverse the effects of.  The good part is you are dealing with high end enough cars that the value of shipping is a much smaller percentage than say a 70's Pickup where you could easily spend the cost of purchase to get the truck to you. 

I agree 100%. Shipping is always cheaper, faster, and easier than restoration. Pay whatever it takes to get a good car home, no matter where it is. You will still be money ahead. 

I deal with a lot of people who are afraid of shipping costs. Worst case, it's $2000 to go coast-to-coast in an enclosed truck. How much restoration work can you buy for $2000? Not very much. Maybe 1/4 of a simple OHV V8 rebuild? Rechrome one bumper? Some of the materials and none of the labor on a paint job? A set of tires?

Shipping a good car is cheaper than fixing a crappy local one every single time.

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 6/20/2019 at 8:22 PM, 1912Staver said:

Sounds like a bit of a catch 22. That explains why when I find a part I need I get the impression it either also fits a popular model of helicopter or is made of platinum . And any parts I try to sell are clearly made of lead.

Judging by the price on the above sedan Pierce Arrows must be the cheapest Classic out there. People around here want that sort of $ for Buicks , not even very good Buicks at times.  Too bad there are only a very  very small handful of Pierce Arrow's in Western Canada . I definitely would be tempted to buy one.

Greg in Canada

Try owning a 1934 Nash. The distribution dual ignition. Shares the same rotor , points and cap system  at the Pierce Arrow dual ignition. The carb. The same as Auburn 12.  So when I am at swap meet and I see part. I jokingly as for Nash price. 

Edited by Nash34 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

I agree 100%. Shipping is always cheaper, faster, and easier than restoration. Pay whatever it takes to get a good car home, no matter where it is. You will still be money ahead. 

I deal with a lot of people who are afraid of shipping costs. Worst case, it's $2000 to go coast-to-coast in an enclosed truck. How much restoration work can you buy for $2000? Not very much. Maybe 1/4 of a simple OHV V8 rebuild? Rechrome one bumper? Some of the materials and none of the labor on a paint job? A set of tires?

Shipping a good car is cheaper than fixing a crappy local one every single time.

I sure have to use your shipper. When I tried to buy a car near Milwaukee two months ago everyone I tried wanted $1.50 a mile, 2000 miles back to Seattle $3000.00 . And a shorter distance than coast to coast.

Seller is in the trade and tried to find a better deal, same quotes even with outfits he had previously used.

Greg

Just now, 1912Staver said:

I sure have to use your shipper. When I tried to buy a car near Milwaukee two months ago everyone I tried wanted $1.50 a mile, 2000 miles back to Seattle $3000.00 . And a shorter distance than coast to coast.

Greg

None of that changes my point. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 1912Staver said:

Seller is in the trade and tried to find a better deal, same quotes even with outfits he had previously used.

I didn't pay that much more than that to get a car to Australia... The car was in St Louis and I used curves ahead to get it California and on the boat