Looking for someone to sell some cars for me

supercargirl

I have a collection of cars in Livonia New York that I would like someone to sell for the owners.  They are all project cars needing some type of work.  Many of them run.  They are owned by two elderly gentlemen and they really need to be sold before winter.  I am very fond of these two and I took them on as a favor because they were referred to me by another client.  I simply don't have the time to dedicate to this collection.  If anyone has an interest in helping these two guys let's talk.  I have descriptions and pictures and I can bring you up to speed.  You need to have an infinite amount of patience to see this through but if you love old cars and old cranky men you will do fabulously.  They really are two characters and it has taken me three years to bring them around to agree to reasonable selling prices.  I have just bumped the list on this site.  E-mail with your contact information and let's talk.

The cars are listed in Cars For Sale. Listing is  "Collection for Sale". Quite a few. A couple of pictures of each would be a first step for this demanding effort. I think most of us have sold cars to help others. I have done so as a favor. Frankly, although no one has asked my opinion, I feel that the liquidation of these "project" cars, would be a labor requiring a huge dedication of time. Commensurate, generous financial incentive would seem to be a prerequisite.   -    Carl 

P.S.  Looks like about 15 cars. Since they "need to be sold before Winter ", I think that realistically an auction is justified /necessary. Late Summer, early Fall ?

Edited by C Carl
Add P.S. (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Without photos, and the fact that you state they are project cars, and given the prices listed, these 2 old guys are like a thousand others - too much money for too little vehicle, as in they seem just a bit overpriced.

BTW, I'm surprised that a car salesperson such as yourself doesn't know that "brome" is spelled brougham and the divider between the driver and passenger compartments in a limo is a partition, not a partician. 

• Like 1

Thanks George.  I copy and pasted the seller's list exactly as he wrote it so I of course can change that.  I am not posting the pictures and the cars because I am looking for someone to take the entire collection and all of the work that it entails with it.  As well as all of the profit (10% of the final sale).  These types of cars are not really my wheelhouse and try as I might I do not have the time to dedicate to them.  So if I find the right person the whole project goes over to them lock, stock and barrel.  And yes the prices are sort of high because they need  someone to help them price them.  Hence a job for the new gal or guy that would like to take it on.

I am starting another side business that will be taking a lot of my time in addition to continuing to sell exceptional cars to exceptional collectors.  This is my new side gig Veloce Cars  Which is part of an bigger project to be announced the first of the year.

17 minutes ago, C Carl said:

The cars are listed in Cars For Sale. Listing is  "Collection for Sale". Quite a few. A couple of pictures of each would be a first step for this demanding effort. I think most of us have sold cars to help others. I have done so as a favor. Frankly, although no one has asked my opinion, I feel that the liquidation of these "project" cars, would be a labor requiring a huge dedication of time. Commensurate, generous financial incentive would seem to be a prerequisite.   -    Carl 

P.S.  Looks like about 15 cars. Since they "need to be sold before Winter ", I think that realistically an auction is justified /necessary. Late Summer, early Fall ?

Auction is not an option.  Owner does not want the liability.  If someone is interested and sends me the contact information the pictures and the information will go to them.

16 minutes ago, mike6024 said:

1956 Ford T-Bird Convertible

with A/C & V8 312 Engine. Runs and drives. $42.500.00

Compare that to these two:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/ctd/d/palm-desert-1956-ford-thunderbird/6905196038.html

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/ctd/d/moraga-1955-ford-thunderbird/6903891824.html

Thanks.  I will forward that to the new guy or gal that takes on the collection.

Just now, mercer09 said:

so Supercargirl only wants to list the Ferraris and Maseratis?

yes I am kidding..............

dont blame you.

10% wouldnt be worth anyones time, as Mike so aptly pointed out.

Supercargirl will never stop selling Ferrari's or Maserati's or Bugatti's or Auburn's or Lancia's or Alfa Romeo's and on and on.

I wouldn't make this more than it is.  I've sold cars for them from the collection already.  10% is not shabby.  It's hardly rocket scientist work.  Posting them on this site, Craigslist, etc,  sending pictures and descriptions and setting up inspections.  

".............. and setting up inspections." WooooEEEEEEE !!!!!! Whew.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  It could take until "before Winter", (or easily much longer) to sell JUST ONE of these projects. I believe an auction house mightt  clear over 10% after all in for WAY less work than trying to get over market prices for one of these projects these days. These, not a one of them, are not Type 46s, A6GCSs, 8C2300s, W196s, or even a humble one of many Ferrari 250s. Not even. Not even close. C or D Jag, neither. Please don't shoot the messengers here. We post to help.             And I certainly know the charm of still somewhat lucid, but aging, fading eccentrics. I'm one of 'em.    -     Carl 

• Haha 1

While I appreciate your input I have already sold several of the cars.  I even had the opportunity to return a Mustang to a woman that had been looking for the car since she was forced to sell it by her father-in-law when her husband went off to Vietnam.  That took two weeks.

If I were the buyer I would go and inspect the cars if I am close.  If not they are able to send someone.  So I am  not quite sure what the inspection excitement in your post is all about.  Perhaps  you have the wrong impression of me as a fancy pants dabbling in a little American Metal.  Nothing could be further from the truth.  

If I was just starting out, and I was young and hungry to learn and make a little money I would be all over this.  As far as prices go I am pretty sure I don't need to repeat this because it is noted in almost every post - but the owner's ARE OPEN ON PRICING!  

So hopefully the next post will be someone that sees and opportunity and isn't afraid of a little work.

Not trying to be disrespectful, but I sold my father’s collection and the amount of work and time it took, I’d never do that again for anyone, at any price. Prepping/cleaning, photos, writing descriptions, creating listings and ads online, fielding calls and meeting potential buyers, etc. 

Never again for any amount of money. I hope you find someone to help these gentlemen out, but an auction seems way more likely and if they are not open to that then I’d worry that it would be hard to deal with them in selling the cars at all. I based that on my former real estate experience. Sellers who want someone to do all the prep and are not open to various options tend to be hard to work for. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

At the prices listed they will never sell by this fall/ winter.   Many are common and easy to find comps, which double as competition for the dollars buyers have to spend. A beautiful squarebird coupe can be had under 20.  Just pick your colors. 15G for a 60's Chrysler imperial 4 door.  It needs to be pristine to pull 10G.  Same with 55-56 Tbirds.  They are all over the place for 30G. 

Good luck to whoever really wants the challenge but buyers won't pay a dime over what anything is worth and if asking prices are above market you won't even get inquiries. 

• Like 3

So to recap:  If anyone out there has a son or daughter maybe home for the summer without a job yet and has a love of cars this would be a great way to make some money and learn a lot along the way.  Even use it on their resume.  I have been buying and selling for twelve years going on thirteen and I will assist throughout.  Pictures have been taken, descriptions are written owners are open to reasonable offers.  Would be a heck of a lot more fun than painting houses or going door to door selling pest control.  Or selling your father's collection when its not your real job choice.

Speaking of resumes : please verify the competence and experience of that youngster looking for a Summer job. Talk to their parents about their "burnout" threshold. This will take at least Eagle Scout level dedication. And then some. Oh, and speaking of experience : your good friends here have combined centuries of experience. AND WE ARE ALL ON YOUR SIDE !!!! Do you remember me ? I'm the guy who partied with Buster, Randy, Poogie, and their one time road manager, Rick. That was before you were born. I am not accusing you of wishful thinking, myopia, or succumbing to assumptions founded on thin ice. But please re-calibrate if you are considering using a novice youthful student to save the old gentlemens bacon before class is back in session.             Too old these days to even bring the bacon home, just an ancient on your "Cyberteam" here at AACA.     -   Cadillac Carl 

• Like 1

I'm sure he or she is going to bring to the table the exact same thing I brought to the table over a decade ago.  Nothing.  Zilch in the way of experience.  But tons in the way of eagerness and a willing to learn.   Far be it from me to have a youngster hit its "burnout" threshold.  What was I thinking.  Let's close the subject.  I don't want angry parents knocking down my door because junior is lying prostrate on his bedroom floor having hit his "burnout" threshold.  We have to protect our young.  Otherwise they may leave the nest and learn to fend for themselves.

Edited by supercargirl (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Might have been a dream job as a kid when I was that age,  but at the end of the summer when you haven't sold one car you have a whole lot of nothing but memories and that unfortunately doesn't go far in funding college or a regular car which is most motivated kids are after. 

• Thanks 1

I was told that I was burned out. You see there were people trying to over load a person, me. Burn me out, and crash my business. In my case out here, it was tied to a big attempt to push me into fraud. I guess everyone has drank enough kool aid to except that behind the scenes, some dumb a*s burn out thing goes on. What people are failing to recognize, is how far and what else people are tagging onto this little burn out thing. And when the power of the State,. drinks and pours the kool aid. You have a very big problem. What a story out here, still trying to lease a building. Cut off wheels waiting. The price I have paid, for the greed of others. And going on seven years later, it is all right back to where it started. Just laying there for anyone to look at. Be careful with the burn out stuff. It is used as a way to push people into fraud. If priced right the cars in question will sell themselves.  

Honestly, we all wish you luck. Wouldn’t be the first time someone accomplished something some of us thought was not possible. 

Be careful about wage and hour laws. We live in a pretty litigious society. Minimum wage most likely applies and the younger generation doesn’t have the same work ethic we did. At least not from what I’ve seen as a Manager. 

Edited by victorialynn2 (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I offered a cranky old man $25,000 for a car once and his heirs sold it for $6000 right after his death.

Sometimes you cant get them to take their fingers off from around their cars.

Another local man would not sell anything, as he was keeping them for his retirement.

He finally sold them for scrap, as they rusted into the ground.

There is no help for some people.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It’s already mid June and most colleges return at the end of August so the time to get all the work done to attempt to sell these cars is short.  If you are dealing with clients who have unrealistic expectations for price, the chance to sell anything and make a few bucks is extremely slim.  A better deal would be to offer a per hour rate with commission on cars sold.  Unless this is a fundraiser for a charity, working for free has little appeal to anyone.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 6/20/2019 at 11:59 AM, supercargirl said:

They really are two characters and it has taken me three years to bring them around to agree to reasonable selling prices. 

According to your statement I quoted above, it appears you're the one that set the "reasonable" selling prices. If not, and they were the ones that did, either way, you obviously don't know prices of these cars the way you make it appear you know. I will bet not only my bottom dollar, but all my dollars that these guys now have the prices quoted fixed in their brains & won't change them for anything. 

You say you took them on as a favor, and now you want to dump them on some other poor schmuck & renege on your favor. Thanks, but no.

You also say you already sold several of the cars. Makes me wonder if you cherry picked the easy to sell stuff & now it's time to cut & run.

All of this is, of course, IMHO.

• Thanks 1

I have my Jeepster for sale.

I see comparable and lesser cars at double my asking price.

The flakes are everywhere, Three replies from want to look at it guys since I put out the 100 bucks on Hemmings but no follow ups.

I have a 37 Desoto that I have almost 100 thou in receipts that I cant get any offers over 15K. (which I wouldn't take).

I have had better luck the last couple of weeks selling a couple of golf cars that I fixed up.

• Like 1

Thanks to George's latest posting, I have another idea which might help. See, from my point of view, George has a pretty good grasp on valuation of old cars. He sometimes links us to some of his "finds" for our consideration. I am still pining away over a '29 Cadillac I fell in love with after he alerted us to it a couple years ago. HPOF car with an original interior in extraordinary condition. I am in lousy condition, too old, and had to pass. 10 years ago it would have been mine with no dikering on the price. Would have been an insult to the seller. 

Therefore, since no one here wants to insult anyone, and since all of our suggestions and criticisms are of the constructive type, why not USE THEM to aid the gents to bite the bullet. Better to chomp down on the "lead" to ease the understandable pain, than to get shot in the heart by it. You have something like ten or a dozen girls and boys so far, generously giving very good advice. We have no "dog in the fight",  and just want to help out in a difficult situation. Some of us try to put things gently, while being realistic. George often "tells it like it is" in very direct terms. That is what gave me the idea of showing this topic to the guys, so they can read it and get a better perspective on reality, and the inevitable. IMHO, it might be an insult to their intelligence NOT to do so.     -    Carl 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, mercer09 said:

Jack,

I watch those jeepsters sell and not sell on ebay- the price range varies wildly!

5k-15k depending on condition and peoples moods for the month.

That vehicle IS NOT an easy sale.

That was my father’s Jeepster. I think there is a very limited group that really  likes them. There were not many made and this is one of the most original one I’ve seen advertised. 

Hoping that the Hemmings ad is productive once the print comes out. Some of my father’s other cars were limited appeal but ultimately fetched good prices. I wish I could buy it as intended, however I had to quit my job and move and I’m still working on recovering from that. 

Jeep people are kind of like Corvair people. Just have to find the right buyer. 

• Like 2