Thoughts on the National, BCA, etc.

Thriller

On 6/21/2019 at 12:35 PM, Thriller said:

I have trailered some of my cars to National meets at times.  In 2007, the 1941 was new to me and the meet was 3 days drive.  Putting it on a trailer behind the truck actually saved fuel money.  It cost me a headlight though on the open trailer.  Sometimes it’s a matter of expediency in getting there.  Damage control is a factor now that I have an enclosed hauler.  Of the cars that have been judged, the highest they’ve gotten is silver, so it isn’t about extremely fine examples, but more about preserving my investment in them.

Damage control:

I recently trailered a car and parts from Atlanta through the midsection of the US using an open trailer.  After about 1,200 miles these photos show what I picked up along the route.  I also have giant Rockguard mudflaps on the back of my vehicle. 

IMG_7061.thumb.jpg.ed350b7a9aa2a50bb2d83da9590470ea.jpg

IMG_7060.thumb.jpg.954e3192d32e3b4b518acc6aa3d7562c.jpg

I was pondering all the nationals I have been to,  few were perfect but I can't think of one that wasn't exciting and fun or one that I regretted going to. Some certainly were better than others or more memorable such as Flint meets or the Allentown meet, but absolutely none of them were anything less than awesome.  I can remember driving around the Indy track in I believe 86/87, that was certainly memorable.  Each one certainly has a different flavor and that's what makes them special. The turnout back in the 90's and early 2000's was spectacular but as times change and people have 100 irons in the fire, big turnouts for regular meets is a thing of the past.  

Edited by Y-JobFan (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Y-JobFan  I agree always fun in one way or another.  Always happy we went.

love seeing the special cars that are there like the Brewster in Danvers, which made me want to see the collection, which my wife and i did a few years later absolutely Beautiful!

and the 60 convert at Allentown 

all the special cars at Flint 03

just love being surprised at a national

• Like 1

On 6/22/2019 at 2:41 PM, Thriller said:

I know some folks can get grumpy when someone wants to modify cars, but that’s a whole other ball of wax...again, tolerance is useful in cases like that.

That's really surprising, too. A lot of times I have seen restored Buick owners see or own a car like this and say "That would be a good car for some hot rodder". (alternate would be a good father and son project)

Maybe they just want to be involved in choosing the car.

image.thumb.png.dbab62751297eee6b1baf0e034d4c070.png

On June 26, 2019 at 1:39 PM, MRJBUICK said:

Y-JobFan  I agree always fun in one way or another.  Always happy we went.

love seeing the special cars that are there like the Brewster in Danvers, which made me want to see the collection, which my wife and i did a few years later absolutely Beautiful!

and the 60 convert at Allentown 

all the special cars at Flint 03

just love being surprised at a national

I have had the opportunity to ride many miles in the back seat of that Brewster. Not a rattle or a squeak, and I think it has a fairly high rear end ratio. It pulls better on the hills of New England than my 1940 model 91. You really can not appreciate the expression carriage trade until you have ridden in a custom bodied Classic automobile . Not sure if you followed the history of that car at all, but it was actually built after Brewster had stopped production. The body was originally on a '36 Buick I believe, and the owner wanted to upgrade , so Brewster built one last car and that lovely Brewster Buick is it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/19/2019 at 8:10 PM, Thriller said:

One thing that came to mind is that the club needs to look at something between 400 point and Modified judging.  There are a number of Buicks out there that aren’t modified enough for Modified judging, but they are different enough that they don’t stand a chance in 400 point judging.  Perhaps we could create a “Personalized” class where we could recognize those that have changed wheels, added pinstriping, etc to personalize their cars.  I’m not about hardware, but either the Mild category of Modified judging is too wild/radical, or we ought to create something in between so that these Buicks and their owners can get some recognition.

I hear ya, but I think at some point you just have to choose a class.  Too many classes, and they get spread kind of thin. 

I encounter the same issue regarding cars that are partially restored, like my blue 57.  Interior, trunk, and underside are completely survivor.  Not flawless but way too nice to restore.  Engine compartment is partially restored, and only partially for same reason.  However, outside has been cosmetically restored due to it having lost its survivor status before I got it. 

This leaves me with a car that can never be perfect without molesting the loads of originality that remains, but cannot qualify as archival due solely to the new paint and chrome.

• Like 2

Certainly a challenge.

Here’s a different but related thought.  What if the registration fee for a Display car was significantly less than that of a judged car?  I think that’s one os the reasons we see some of these in judging in the first place - “If I’m gonna pay that much, I may as well get it judged and make them earn it” sort of an attitude.  If the cost of judging, materials, breakfast, lunch, hats, awards, etc were fully incorporated into the cost of registration for a judged car, perhaps there would be a greater differential.  Some of that is behind the scenes stuff that I don’t know much about, like how much sponsorship may cover.

For me, for the foreseeable future I don’t expect to have anything judged in 400 point nor archival.  They’ve either already been judged, or are far enough away yet that it doesn’t make sense, so primarily Driven and / or Display for me for the next little bit.  Oh, I guess there is an archival Reatta here, but we’ll see if that gets a pampered trip in the trailer.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Thriller said:

Certainly a challenge.

Here’s a different but related thought.  What if the registration fee for a Display car was significantly less than that of a judged car?  I think that’s one os the reasons we see some of these in judging in the first place - “If I’m gonna pay that much, I may as well get it judged and make them earn it” sort of an attitude.  If the cost of judging, materials, breakfast, lunch, hats, awards, etc were fully incorporated into the cost of registration for a judged car, perhaps there would be a greater differential.  Some of that is behind the scenes stuff that I don’t know much about, like how much sponsorship may cover.

For me, for the foreseeable future I don’t expect to have anything judged in 400 point nor archival.  They’ve either already been judged, or are far enough away yet that it doesn’t make sense, so primarily Driven and / or Display for me for the next little bit.  Oh, I guess there is an archival Reatta here, but we’ll see if that gets a pampered trip in the trailer.

Isn't your Skyhawk archival?  It sure looked like it to me!  I think it's great btw!  Sorry you were not by the car when I was checking it out and didn't get to meet. 

10 hours ago, lancemb said:

Isn't your Skyhawk archival?  It sure looked like it to me!  I think it's great btw!  Sorry you were not by the car when I was checking it out and didn't get to meet. 

Yes, the Skyhawk was in Archival judging, class U3.  Thanks.  It really is a nice little car and we are enjoying it.  It’s now dwarfed in the garage by the 1959 LeSabre Estate Wagon.

My comment was based on something someone else had said.  They knew their car wouldn’t do well in judging, but the cost differential between Display and judged was small enough not to matter ($20 versus $35).  Aside from printing a window card, what does a Display car get that a member who registered without a car get?  Is the cost of the awards and judging process really only $15 per car?  Somewhat rhetorical questions.

I agree it’s a shame we didn’t meet.  As big or as small as any given meet it, we don’t get a chance to see everyone...and based on the forums, we don’t necessarily know what each other looks like.  I’ll have to do a better job remembering for next year and get someone local started on a forum gathering.

I brought a magic marker with me to the Wisconsin meet and put my Forum name on which helped a few put a face to the name.

Planning on putting it on the car placard in Strongsville and hope we all meet up!

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Thriller said:

Yes, the Skyhawk was in Archival judging, class U3.  Thanks.  It really is a nice little car and we are enjoying it.  It’s now dwarfed in the garage by the 1959 LeSabre Estate Wagon.

My comment was based on something someone else had said.  They knew their car wouldn’t do well in judging, but the cost differential between Display and judged was small enough not to matter ($20 versus $35).  Aside from printing a window card, what does a Display car get that a member who registered without a car get?  Is the cost of the awards and judging process really only $15 per car?  Somewhat rhetorical questions.

I agree it’s a shame we didn’t meet.  As big or as small as any given meet it, we don’t get a chance to see everyone...and based on the forums, we don’t necessarily know what each other looks like.  I’ll have to do a better job remembering for next year and get someone local started on a forum gathering.

I wondered about your comment, and I just received my paper Bugle.  I had not looked too close re: what opportunities there are for display, as it is a show after all. 

The issue is that for display only you have to move the car before Saturday.  I know Willie will put the dead horse on a follow up to this, but a lot of people don't bother bringing their car even for display only because they have to move it on Saturday. 

I was thinking about my Reattas.  Neither will be done in time for Strongsville next year but I am really going to try to have the 1991 ready for Charlotte because it is the 30th anniversary of 1991 Reattas.  It would be display only but likely would be at least a 370 point car, maybe higher.  I will likely purchase display only credentials but I doubt I even bother putting it on the show field during the week, if I have to pull it late Friday and park it in the parking lot with all manner of cars. 

Therefore, a work around I guess, is to pay for 400 point judging, as you and others have mentioned it's only $15 more and then say "I won't be 400 point judged."  Does that mean even though I paid for the "highly valued" spot of inclusion on "show day" that I would still be asked to leave rather than stay on the show field?  Reattas are about 5 feet wide and with the 3-4 feet around it, that's a lot of walking for the judges, and it's likely to be hot.  What would be funny is if I said go ahead and judge it so I can stay and then I just toss the plastic trophy or never look at the judging sheet. 

Edited by B Jake Moran (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, B Jake Moran said:

The issue is that for display only you have to move the car before Saturday.  I know Willie will put the dead horse on a follow up to this, but a lot of people don't bother bringing their car even for display only because they have to move it on Saturday. 

Bryan,  What is your source for this information? 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, B Jake Moran said:

The issue is that for display only you have to move the car before Saturday.

You should go to a show and pay attention!  I register as 'display' every year and I park on the show field with the show cars in my class (class H).  Only at South Bend did I have to park briefly in a different location.  And what a drag that was:  I had to make some new friends, parked next the Wildcat II replica where I had a private showing and a brief ride.

You should go to a show and pay attention! 

• Thanks 1

Let's not stir up the parking thing again, especially with incorrect information. Originally all the cars were going to have to be moved on Saturday at Midwest City. That situation was rectified for us and we were able to leave all the cars in place. At a great many national Meets parking is a challenge for one reason or another. What we should be seeing here is kudos for the North Texas Chapter for doing a great job with the parking for all participants.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Jack Welch said:

Let's not stir up the parking thing again, especially with incorrect information. Originally all the cars were going to have to be moved on Saturday at Midwest City. That situation was rectified for us and we were able to leave all the cars in place. At a great many national Meets parking is a challenge for one reason or another. What we should be seeing here is kudos for the North Texas Chapter for doing a great job with the parking for all participants.

I agree with Jack. Entire Midwest city meet went well.    Thanks, folks.

Ben

• Like 4

My apologies.  I have always thought that cars not in the 400 point judging had to move late Friday or very early Saturday so that judging would go quicker and smoother.  I am wrong.  This is a good wrong.  If anyone brings a Buick, and is display only, then my new understanding is they are assigned a spot on the show field and can use it for the meet to display their car and have a reserved spot to park.   Thank you for correcting me. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Some things are just more of a PITA than they're worth.  If you don't care about judging or awards, park with the hoi polloi and walk into the show field.  I mean, you already know what your car looks like, and the time spent sitting by it takes away from the time you could spend looking at others.

19 minutes ago, KongaMan said:

Some things are just more of a PITA than they're worth.  If you don't care about judging or awards, park with the hoi polloi and walk into the show field.  I mean, you already know what your car looks like, and the time spent sitting by it takes away from the time you could spend looking at others.

Yeah, but I like to TALK about mine.   

Ben

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, KongaMan said:

You don't learn much when you're doing the talking. ;) 

Yea  But if Ben is explaining how he put the Fuel injection on his Straight 8 and the type of cam he had ground for more horsepower, the listeners do.

Beside, if he bores you, you can walk away.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

41 minutes ago, Bill Stoneberg said:

Yea  But if Ben is explaining how he put the Fuel injection on his Straight 8 and the type of cam he had ground for more horsepower, the listeners do.

By definition, those listeners aren't sitting by their own cars.  Which kinda makes my point.

• Thanks 1

I don't care to hover around my car all day, but I do enjoy chatting about it to passers-by when I am wiping it down or putzing in the general area.

I really get a kick out of the comments I hear when I am hanging around Mike's red 72 GSX.  The general theme is "they didn't make them in that color."  I just have to take a breath and realize that I can't correct everyone that makes that assumption.

• Like 1