Brake springs for pre-war cars

Tom Devoe

So - I need a few brake springs for my 31 Studebaker.  I think I'd like to just replace them all if new ones are available. Are there vendors out there who supply brake parts for vintage cars?  Since the Stude is an orphan, would I need to see if other, more popular makes used the same size springs in order to rebuild my brakes?  Maybe there are small spring manufacturers that could copy the old springs?  I'd love to here what others have done to get a hold of these special springs.  TIA!!

Thanks Steve!  I will check through those part numbers tonight and see if they are correct for my car!  I guess I have been conditioned not to look at the usual Stude parts suppliers, as they usually don't have anything pre 1938.  I should have googled first!

Edited by Tom Devoe (see edit history)

You need to find out what make of brakes your Studebaker has. Ford made there own brakes for a few years and all/most of the other manufacturers used specific brake companies parts such as Wagner, Bendix, Midland Steeldraulic and Huck to name a few. Wagner and Bendix had several different systems each.  Once you know what system you have it greatly widens your parts base.  I don't have a listing of what years, makes, models used whose system but if you could post a picture showing the shoes and springs I could probably tell you what system you have.

As Steve Moskowitz said, Google is your friend.

• 10 months later...

I'm now armed with the drawings and Bendix part numbers for the brake shoe return springs that I need.  Anyone know of a vendor that could cross reference these to find out if they're used elsewhere?  It would be great to find they were also used on a more common make and readily available off the shelf.  Bendix numbers are 23724, 23722, 23566 & 26351 if your reading this and can help.

Thanks!

Tom,

I don't remember if we talked about this. Please provide the Studebaker parts numbers that you need, and I will take a look, at my stuff. I actually own S1 and S2, that are the Studebaker dealer inventory boxes, for brake parts, for the late 20's and early 30's. Some of my brake parts have been placed in the wrong bins over the years also. So besides the Studebaker parts #, I might need a pic. in addition.  Of course, some of those little bins are empty, after all these years.