64 Riviera A/C condenser

The orig R-12 condensers were "serpentine flow", but R-134a allegedly works better with a "mass flow" condenser.  Which is what the OEM R-134a condensers are.  The trick might be finding one of the correct physical dimensions (hopefully a bit larger than the OEM R-12 unit), with the correct line fittings/hookups to match the new receiver/drier you'll probably need, too.  All in a manner that looks "OEM Stock", as much as possible.

Be sure you also have all applicable fan shrouds and a good clutch fan installed.  Air flow through the radiator/condenser at idle is more critical to good cooling in that operational mode in traffic.

Keep us posted on your progress, please.

NTX5467

6 hours ago, KongaMan said:

New condenser, new hoses, new drier...  At some point, the prudent decision is to fix the original R12 system.  Change doesn't always equal improvement.

Mr. Konga Man, have you estimated the cost for new components? You are pretty sharp individual. If a person were to replace all components, rebuild hoses, and do the work themselves they might be smart to compare real costs with a real restoration shop after market AC system.  Replacement of new components, rebuilt hoses, cost of R12, labor/leisure time consideration  to fix/replace an AC in a 63 Riviera is significant. Consider mechanical skill level and special knowledge to do AC work. How about gauges, vacuum pump, dry nitrogen and regulator, sniffer, Investment costs? You think PepBoys is going to rebuild the AC hoses for $25.95 each?

Id like to understand more about the  basis for your  assumptions regarding your  your statement, “ prudent decision to FIX the original R 12 system. “ I’m respectful of your knowledge and experience in the automotive world. I would like to know more about your thoughts On how any hobbyist can replace and or fix a mobile AC system.

You are welcome to ask me how I know about installing a new AC system with no prior experience. Putting in a mobile AC system in a 63 Buick Riviera is not like changing an oil filter.

Encouraging hobbyists that want to fix their AC system must be advised they do significant amount of reading and study on mobile AC systems. Replacing and or fixing a mobile AC in a 63 Riviera can be done, but you have to really know what you are doing, OR, be willing to do work over.

Turbinator ( soon to be mobile AC Certified ...only kidding 🤣)

12 hours ago, Bill Stoneberg said:

It’s advisable to use a new condenser for R 134.  It works much better...

Bill, if you are moving from R12 to 134a how about the TXV, and evaporator replacement? I replaced my TXV and evaporator in my 63 Riv along with the condenser, drier, compressor, rebuilt hoses, and STV bypass. My experience trying to repair a 50 some year old system was met with many failures. I finally decided to replace everything. I should have compared the cost of a  first class restoration shop aftermarket installation. I have information that indicates costs would be very close  IF new replacement is the direction you want to go. My experience with repair was not successful. My replacement of the total AC in my 63 is just about ready to produce cold air. It has been a real learning experience.

Turbinator

I ripped everything out on my 64 Riviera after spending much money and time trying to get the original system to work.  I replaced it with a complete Vintage Air system, evaporator, condenser, compressor, lines, dryer etc. Now it is so cold, it could be used as an ice maker.

I have also spent the time to get my EPA certification and have the tools and knowledge to have been able to repair the R 12 system on my 1960 Electra.  It also blows ice cubes.  I replaced the condenser on that with a  new cross flow condenser after finding leaks. Luckily it was fairly easy to do as the A5 compressor is not easy to find or rebuild.

It is a learning experience to try to fix any of these old systems but also lots of fun once it works.

49 minutes ago, 60FlatTop said:

"The level of perfection one can achieve is directly proportional to the number of times they are willing to do it over"

Shouldn’t be a problem for me I’m accustomed to doing it over. Maybe a couple times or even more. If it were too,easy I’d think something was wrong.

Turbinator

1 hour ago, Bill Stoneberg said:

I ripped everything out on my 64 Riviera after spending much money and time trying to get the original system to work.  I replaced it with a complete Vintage Air system, evaporator, condenser, compressor, lines, dryer etc. Now it is so cold, it could be used as an ice maker.

I have also spent the time to get my EPA certification and have the tools and knowledge to have been able to repair the R 12 system on my 1960 Electra.  It also blows ice cubes.  I replaced the condenser on that with a  new cross flow condenser after finding leaks. Luckily it was fairly easy to do as the A5 compressor is not easy to find or rebuild.

It is a learning experience to try to fix any of these old systems but also lots of fun once it works.

Bill, once I get my 63 Riv original system working my fun fun meter will be off the scale! I have everything buttoned up and a small charge of R12 in my system. The cheap Sniffer I have may be giving me false readings. The operations manual was written in Germany in English and items are lost in translation.  The indicators  on the sniffer do not perform as described. 

‘I’ll probably buy a sniffer  with an operations manual written in English by an American.  With all the grammatical errors written by an American will be easy to understand how the thing works.😂

Turbinator