Change the F(ahrenheit) to C(entigrade) on Park Avenue 1991

Since some time I own a Buick Park Avenue build 1991.

I am living in Holland and we commonly use Centigrade to indicatie the

temperture. On the display from the heating panel you can see the C for Centrigrate (off course also the F for fahrenheit). My car is in F when in use. I have seen Park Avenues with the indicator in C.

Is there someone who knows how to set it to C.

(a technican in Holland told me it should pressing a combination of keys from the heating module and start the car. I am not sure if this is the right solution)

Do you have an owners manual, as I would think the info to convert would be in there, if not let us know, I looked for an owner manual in my stash of stuff and don't have one, but may be able to find out how to change it from some friends, Hey, JT, The Old Guy, do you have an owners manual for Bernice's car?

Guest John Chapman

.... I can't resist.....

To convert Fahrenheit to Celsius (Centigrade), subtract 32 and divide by 1.8

Actually, I think the technician is correct. You can flash reprogram some computer chips using the key combo and repowering. I've not a clue what the key combo is, however.

If all else fails, I'd try contacting Buick's export sales office in Flint

I do a owners manual, but it is an american manual. The car was built for export. However there is no export manual for the car avaiable as far as I now.

I'm in the opposite situation: my 1991 Park Avenue is a canadian car and the climate control is set to work in Celcius. I'd prefer if it was in Fahrenheight but I don't know how to change it. There is nothing in my owners manual that suggest I could set my climate control in°F. Does anyone know if I could do it myself?

Guest Shaffer

I have a 92 Park Avenue and I do not know how to set it to Celcius. I am not even sure if it is possible. Does the American owners manual say how to change it? I do not have a owners manual currently with my car. If the American or European model can be switched to "C" or "F", they both should be able to change. So even if you have the American owners manual, it should state how to change it if it is possible to change. My 95 Chrysler Concorde has climate control as well, but it is only in "F", as far as I know. However, on the overhead console, that displays outside temperature, electronic compass and MPG/trip odometer, can be switched to farenhiet or celcius, with a push of one button. Also MPH can be switched to KPH, if "F" is switched to "C". I am guessing the Park Avenue can be changed as well, but maybe a code needed to change. Good luck.

It can be changed, you have to jump two connections at the HVAC programmer, but I'm not sure where the HVAC programmer is located, then turn the key on and it should switch to F from C, or vice versa. Depending on where the car was sold the default should be F for US and C for others, the HVAC programmer stores this bit in a capacitor, cavity 6 to cavity 12 in the connection. The shop manual may have this info, seems strange that it is such a secret and ordeal, but back then, the electronics was not as user friendly as it is now.

Disconnecting the battery and discharging the capacitor, should send it back to the default. I will see if I have a shop manual for a '91 and can find the HVAC programmer connector location. The other option is to see if a nice dealer can do it for you, they will probably have to look it up in their database, which is where I got the info, from the Technical Assistance guys that work in my building, which by the way says it is GM Confidential info, like I said not sure why it is such a secret???