46 Dodge clutch question.

Finally found the time to get the old girl back together after finding a cracked transmission among other things.  So while the trans was out I did a clutch replacement.  Bernbaums supplied the disc and pressure plate and the new bearing and sleeve were same length from another supplier as the old one that destructed to start the whole mess.  Now I have a couple of problems and the first being the clutch which I am hoping is just a rod adjustment. The floor pan is out. When I step on the pedal it goes over center and stays to the floor.  The over center spring is attached still. I notice now that with the pedal up there is an easy 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch of gap between the rod fitting in the socket of the fork when I have the bearing touch the pressure plate. When depressing the pedal with return spring attached it doesn't feel like much pressure is being applied to the pressure plate and the pedal just goes over center and to the floor and will not return. I notice a little "pop" as well from the torque tube as it goes over center. The torque tube has some movement to it   and I am wondering if something broke with the bracket and torque tube that is now causing the length differences in what is required to get the release bearing to make contact after clutch replacement.  Is the torque tube supposed to be rigid? The clutch pedal pull back spring is not a factory part at this time but it is the one that was in the car and functioning before the release bearing sleeve destructed.  That is function to pull fork away from the pressure plate.

The second one will deal with the trans not going into first but will go into that once I get the clutch issue worked out as I think it is related. I had the shift lever cover off to inspect and I might not have the the gears inside set correctly after inspecting.  But it does go into reverse, second, and third easy. When trying to get into first it sounds as if it is clunking against something in the trans.

Edited by Brooklyn Beer
new (see edit history)