GaryBudd

1929 DeSoto K starter problem

Starter not engaging,took it to rebuild shop and he can't locate drive motor clutch for it.Info on starter: Serial # 929,Model 58H,Type 6590-A 6 volt.The part # from my book shows 37832 Drive,motor clutch.Is there a starter from anything else that would work on my car? I have enclosed a photo of the part needed.I would love to be driving my car but that won't happen without starter.Thank you for any help.

IMG_1053.JPG

Thank you for the info.Any idea where I might find a parts source?

2 hours ago, GaryBudd said:

I would love to be driving my car but that won't happen without starter

When I was young and poor I drove my Pontiac for almost a whole year with a broken starter.  Learned how to use the crank very quickly.

• Haha 1

Unfortunately I'm not young and have tried cranking and I just can't do it.Does anyone know where I could find the part needed or another starter.

My information shows the early 1929 De Soto K fitted with a Delco Remy 714-J starter motor. The late 1929 K had the NE starter motor. The 1930 six and the 1930-31 CF eight had a 714-Q cranking motor.

A 714-L was fitted to Chev 1929-33, maybe more years. Other makes too.

I don't know the differences between the 714- models, but it might be worth looking for one of them?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, GaryBudd said:

Unfortunately I'm not young and have tried cranking and I just can't do it.Does anyone know where I could find the part needed or another starter.

It may be worth a try to take it to the local tractor dealer. They may be able to match it up

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Spinneyhill said:

My information shows the early 1929 De Soto K fitted with a Delco Remy 714-J starter motor. The late 1929 K had the NE starter motor. The 1930 six and the 1930-31 CF eight had a 714-Q cranking motor.

A 714-L was fitted to Chev 1929-33, maybe more years. Other makes too.

I don't know the differences between the 714- models, but it might be worth looking for one of them?

Apparently mine is a late 1929 K because it has a NE starter.Has anyone used a DR 714-j? I'm having no luck finding the clutch for NE starter.

The 1929 Plymouth 55 also had the 714-J cranking motor. Here is the electrical comparison between the DR and NE motors.

DR:

image.thumb.png.46933c4217fc2ae96c688a4e9981a518.png  NE: image.thumb.png.d47fd9499fef72015a935dccbc67213d.png

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Spinneyhill said:

I suspect it maybe the nose cone (drive pinion/bendix cover) variations for different engines. My '28 Chrysler also uses a 714 (D).

It maybe possible to just interchange the nose cone from another 714* starter with other models.

I have NOT had two different models to compare to be confident of my above comments though.

• Like 1

OK,really appreciate the info. Can anyone direct me to where I might find one of these starters? I've looked in the usual places but nothing yet.

Hello

Have you disaasembled the part? 

Mine was all gummed up and couldnt freely move. It can feel like one part this way. 

The forward motion of the gear on the spline occurs due to the rotation of the motor, these need to be able to move freely, 

Regards

• Like 1

Fortunately I was able to find the part from a company in Chicago. Certified Auto Electric Inc,they are very friendly and willing to help.I'm back on the road again and loving it.

• Like 2