1929 DeSoto K starter problem

GaryBudd

Starter not engaging,took it to rebuild shop and he can't locate drive motor clutch for it.Info on starter: Serial # 929,Model 58H,Type 6590-A 6 volt.The part # from my book shows 37832 Drive,motor clutch.Is there a starter from anything else that would work on my car? I have enclosed a photo of the part needed.I would love to be driving my car but that won't happen without starter.Thank you for any help.

IMG_1053.JPG

2 hours ago, GaryBudd said:

I would love to be driving my car but that won't happen without starter

When I was young and poor I drove my Pontiac for almost a whole year with a broken starter.  Learned how to use the crank very quickly.

My information shows the early 1929 De Soto K fitted with a Delco Remy 714-J starter motor. The late 1929 K had the NE starter motor. The 1930 six and the 1930-31 CF eight had a 714-Q cranking motor.

A 714-L was fitted to Chev 1929-33, maybe more years. Other makes too.

I don't know the differences between the 714- models, but it might be worth looking for one of them?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, GaryBudd said:

Unfortunately I'm not young and have tried cranking and I just can't do it.Does anyone know where I could find the part needed or another starter.

It may be worth a try to take it to the local tractor dealer. They may be able to match it up

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Spinneyhill said:

My information shows the early 1929 De Soto K fitted with a Delco Remy 714-J starter motor. The late 1929 K had the NE starter motor. The 1930 six and the 1930-31 CF eight had a 714-Q cranking motor.

A 714-L was fitted to Chev 1929-33, maybe more years. Other makes too.

I don't know the differences between the 714- models, but it might be worth looking for one of them?

Apparently mine is a late 1929 K because it has a NE starter.Has anyone used a DR 714-j? I'm having no luck finding the clutch for NE starter.

20 hours ago, Spinneyhill said:

I suspect it maybe the nose cone (drive pinion/bendix cover) variations for different engines. My '28 Chrysler also uses a 714 (D).

It maybe possible to just interchange the nose cone from another 714* starter with other models.

I have NOT had two different models to compare to be confident of my above comments though.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...