Does anyone know if a '57 Cadillac will fit on a U-Haul trailer?

Lebowski

I'm considering buying a Caddy that's 600 miles away and would tow it home on a U-Haul trailer but I've heard that they may not be big enough to handle an 18 foot long car with an 11 foot wheelbase. I can't find the trailer dimensions anywhere online so I was wondering if anyone knew if the car would fit on it. One guy said to leave the loading ramps partway out but I'm not sure if that's legal. Thanks...

The 57 Caddy on that short trailer won't have enough tongue weight to tow safely.  It will/can spin the towing vehicle around. 

The voice of experience 40 years ago.  57 Coupe DeVille behind a F-150 Ford, only damage was to my ego and my shorts. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

After seeing some of the U-Haul equipment guys have used to try to move cars, I wouldn't trust that stuff to move a lawnmower. The equipment is badly neglected and/or abused. Cracked welds, broken ramps, bald tires (that are undersized--usually passenger car tires) and that hokey tie-down system they use is really sketchy. Either pay a hauler to move it for you or see about renting/borrowing a real car trailer. For something as big and heavy as a 1957 Cadillac, I wouldn't want to take a chance with U-Haul gear.

It's always tempting to do it yourself and try to save a few bucks, but I bet the cost difference between a U-Haul rental and having a pro deliver the car isn't really that much. Always better to be safe than sorry!

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I'm having a pro move my literature right now.  They had 2 flats yesterday on their brand new trailer.  I was at home and the only thing I had to deal with was telling the guys they are picking up from that they are running late.

It's worth the cost to let someone else deal with the headaches when there is any distance involved,  especially if you aren't all set up with your own equipment to do the job. 

• Thanks 1

It was over 36 years ago (boy does time fly) when all the talk at Hershey was about the red mid '50's Caddy on a roll back that rolled on its was to the Swap Meet. We saw the ball on the way home on Sunday. it left an impression on moving Cadillacs. Bob 

you might try this. they probably have a van with similar demensions at the rental place. tell them what you plan to do, try putting the van on the trailer, if that works, you're home free. btw good luck with that caddy. i had a 1957 series 75 limo, talk about an adventure, try putting one of those up on a lift.

I've used a U-Haul trailer four times to pick up a car. Three of the four times, it was a good experience. The important thing you need to know is they have two different size trailers. The small one has orange runners and will only hold up to a 4,000 pound car. The larger one is silver and will haul a 5,200 pound car IIRC. They do not make any distinction when you make your reservation. The one time I got stuck with the small trailer, it was the time I was towing the largest car, a '39 LaSalle. I didn't realize the trailer was lower rated until I loaded the car. Fortunately, it was a short tow at lower speeds, so I pressed on. In my experience, the small trailers are older and not in the greatest condition. With this trailer, the 120" wheelbase on the LaSalle barely fit.

The other three times, I was towing light, small cars (all under 2,200 pounds). Twice I did over 1,000 miles and did not have any issues. The trailers appeared to be newer with good upkeep. I wouldn't hesitate to rent one again.

Old, small

AP1010405web.jpg

Newer, large

08f394b1145d4346b1dbd192ff07ed4f.jpg

Edited by Buick64C (see edit history)

A buddy was cleared to rent from uHaul/tow a '66 Toronado (WB: 119") last year (tho he didn't pull the trigger once we looked it over).
U-Haul was more concerned with the towing vehicle; they nixed his infiniti QX4 but had no issue with my 2500HD DuraMax.

I decided to pass on the Caddy after talking to the owner and finding out more about it that wasn't in his ad (below). He says it's in excellent condition and was "professionally restored 15 years ago" but there's a big tear in the front seat, the headliner is sagging, the foam in the padded dash has collapsed, the tranny leaks and there's a bulls eye in the windshield, among other things. I'm going to make it easier on myself and find a car a lot closer to home. Thanks for the comments and advice....

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/cadillac/62/2249586.html#

Edited by Lebowski (see edit history)

56 minutes ago, mercer09 said:

nice looking car- worth buying if the price could be negotiated.

It's been on Hemmings for at least 2-3 months so I figured he would be flexible on the price which he was-he came down to $25k over the phone. I looked it up on the Hagerty evaluation tool and it said  #3 (good) condition was $20,700 but he said no way because he still thinks it's in excellent condition which it isn't so I decided to move on. If anyone is interested in it go for it.

I forgot to mention that he also said there are some rust bubbles on the lower door corners....

Edited by Lebowski (see edit history)

600 miles?

If it wont drive that far why would one buy it at all?

Unfortunate that it was misrepresented. I expect that about 90% of sellers fail to mention something that they should have.

Buick, those uhauls are ALL short. wouldnt even consider towing a Caddy any distance on one of those. short distance, maybe........

you need at least an 18' trailer for a caddy, unless it is from 1903. then you can put the caddy in your pu bed.............!

21 hours ago, mercer09 said:

Buick, those uhauls are ALL short. wouldnt even consider towing a Caddy any distance on one of those. short distance, maybe........

you need at least an 18' trailer for a caddy, unless it is from 1903. then you can put the caddy in your pu bed.............!

Back in the late 1950's a friend won a $50.00 bet when he bought two 1903 Cadillacs, he got both of them on a rack bodied truck and they made the trip home safely. 

Bob