MrEarl

Why the limit on giving likes / thanks / reactions

Question

So what if I happen to like or want to thank someone for posting, why should this forum software care. @gwells or @Peter Gariepy can you explain or if you don’t see that it is of value maybe turn it off. 

This happened after I liked or thanked maybe 3-4 posts 

21D10BA1-E2B8-41F8-A8C2-98B626DBC9D1.thumb.png.73dfbf05f4cb033da10b9155676627c2.png

10 answers to this question

Earl,

This is a setting in the forum software, i.e. a limit can be placed on the number of likes a member is able to make each day. One of the great aspects of the IP.Board community software is that darn near everything is configurable.

It is a fairly complex task to set up a board like this from scratch and in many cases the person doing that has to make stabs or guesses as to what parameters or values to select for the multiplicty of settings that have to be made. Sometimes there are default values one just lets stand.

My level of privileges on the forum do not allow me to change this setting and I can't speak to the thinking of the person who decided on its value. Wihtout checking, I think on my IP.Board forum I have the daily likes limit set at something like 10 or 12.

From my perspective the reason for placing a daily limit on likes is to preclude someone from liking every post he or she reads, thus diminishing the value of that information.

Let me throw the ball back into your court. You have brought this up as a potential problem or issue, so what do you propose would be a reasonable number for the number of allowed likes per day?

5 hours ago, gwells said:

From my perspective the reason for placing a daily limit on likes is to preclude someone from liking every post he or she reads, thus diminishing the value of that information.

I see your point, somewhat. But when there are our possible "reactions" and considering I and many others are frequent users all across the board I really don't see the "diminished value" of a reaction being of any great consequence. Not to the point of one needing to count on their fingers how many they might have given and being concerned with "oops, did I just waste a smiley" or "do I need to save this thanks for a more justifiable one." Of course I'm being somewhat facetious here now but do you get my point. 

To answer your question about a daily limit number, I guess my answer would be no limit, as it is not that big of an issue. But if a limit is deemed necessary let's at least let the folks know what that number is. 

OK, I'm done whining for the day... I think I've met my limit.  🤣

Oh and by the way, thanks for the reply, I tried to "like" it but...  :D

• Haha 1

MrEarl,

If the limit is set to 4 or 5, I'd agree that is probably too low. A limit of 12 or 20 or higher would be more reasonable to my thinking.

For me, this forum is not like Faceboook, where I might 'like' a much larger number of posts of far less import (and with much less reflection) in a single session.

As I said, this parameter is not under my control.

• Like 1

I've never gotten on facebook except when someone sends me a link of a car for sale and then I get on on my wifes's account so not familiar with how that works. But anyways I started out fresh this morning and on purpose as a test "reacted" to at least 20 so either the other day was a snafu or the limit has been set to 20 or so which should be more than sufficient.  So alls well that ends well, thanks!

• Like 1

This perplexes me. We want people to use the forum and participate. I see no downside to unlimited likes. If one user abuses it then he should be punished, not all. Do you want us to use this forum or not?

I was actually looking for a solution to the previous thread about the photo limits. If someone finds it please point me in the right direction. Thanks. 

• Like 2

I concur with @victorialynn2 — I ran into this limit one day. I went back and looked at what I commented on and every one was meaningful (at least to me).

18 hours ago, victorialynn2 said:

This perplexes me. We want people to use the forum and participate. I see no downside to unlimited likes. If one user abuses it then he should be punished, not all. Do you want us to use this forum or not?

I agree that reactions should be unlimited. Don't know the real reason for a limit being set on the number of reactions but I can give you my opinion on what the reason might be.

The number of reactions you make is tied in with the Leaderboard, (which I almost never look at). The number of reactions you give, or you get, contributes to your overall Community Reputation. A lot of other things, like post count, and number of forum visits, probably contribute to your Community Reputation as well but it appears the number of reactions you have might be the biggest factor that determines your ranking on the Leaderboard.  

Your Community Reputation determines your position on the Leaderboard.  For example take a look Matt Harwood's Reputation stats. He is at the top of the Leaderboard right now.  And now compare them to my Reputation stats.  As you can see I have a lot more total posts but I'm not even on the Leaderboard because my  total reactions aren't even close to what his are.  That is fine with me because I'm not interested in the Leaderboard rankings. Maybe other members are.

Perhaps the limit on reactions was set in an effort to make the rankings on the Leaderboard more equitable.  I don't know if that is the reason but if that is the case, I personally I would rather have the reactions set to unlimited and not worry about the Leaderboard rankings.  I think being able to give someone a thumbs-up or a thank-you for a post they made is a lot more useful than a ranking on the Leaderboard.  Just my opinion...

Perhaps @Peter Gariepy will chime in and give us his thoughts on why reactions are limited.  After all, he is the only one that can change the forum settings.

Edited by Ronnie (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Hopefully Peter will answer the question but if I was going to bet, I would say the current setting is a default setting in the forum software and Peter has never given it any thought or changed it. Hopefully he can change it. I doubt anybody cares about the "Leaderboard". I have been here for many years, quite a few of them previously as a moderator, and I don't think I have ever looked at the "Leaderboard". From your post, I am debating if it is worth my time to try to figure out where the heack the "Leaderboard" is even at on the forum. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, MCHinson said:

From your post, I am debating if it is worth my time to try to figure out where the heack the "Leaderboard" is even at on the forum. 

"Leaderboard" can be found at the end of the Main Menu at the top of this page.   I doubt many people on a car forum pay much attention to it or even care what it is.

Everybody likes to use the reactions feature, especially the Like button.  It acknowledges to other members that you have read their post.  I don't think any forum members would want to limit how much you can do that.

• Like 1

I agree with you both and also don’t care about the Leaderboard. I do, however want to acknowledge people who comment on my posts or make good posts on other’s threads. This is essentially social media where interacting is important. 

Hopefully the admins will reconsider. I don’t think any of us care enough about the Leaderboard to warrant limiting the reactions. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1