Sign in to follow this  
ROBERTWILLIAM

1955 Packard Model 400 Coupe

I questioned the hubcap in trunk part.  Not a big deal,  but why not just snap it on. (It's not like putting in a new windshield)  The thumbnail without the hubcap makes it look like a project.   Many people never get past the thumbnail.   Obviously once you get into the listing the car looks pretty good and not a real project.  It's a first impression thing.  

Still a neat car. 

• Like 2

The hubcap in the trunk isn't a 1955 Packard hubcap. It's for an earlier car. 

Judging from all the handprints on the trunk lid, it might benefit from a wax job. Beautiful car, nice color combo. What's with all the bags in the trunk? Looks like someone was on the way to the laundromat. I've heard the first-year Packard V8's had some issues. Maybe a Packard person can weigh in?

Posted (edited)

Sorry, I misspoke on my previous post. There IS a 1955 Packard hubcap in the trunk,  the hubcap mounted on the spare tire caught my eye first. The  overall shots of the car would look better with the wheelcover installed. I guess I was paying too much attention to the laundry bags!

Edited by The 55er
added more info (see edit history)

Looks like car covers in the bags.  Agreed the seller could use some pointers on the photos.  The car is from his late father in law’s estate so good chance the person is not car savvy.

• Thanks 1

Ok guys, this is part of the new normal.  While the next generation has been selling cars from the older generation, often deceased parents, for years - the new generation now is like the family in GRAN TORINO, the Clint Eastwood movie where he owns a pristine 72 Gran Torino and the sons/grandkids could care less.

It's not fair to paint with such a broad brush for micro viewing an ad, but I am probably 75% correct here.  Dad passes away, son has spent zero time with his dad in regards to understanding the Packard.   In all fairness Dad probably did not spend much time with son's technology interests or other hobbies.  Different eras.

Now Mom asks son to help sell off some of Dad's stuff.  He really does not want to put any time into it, but hastily takes some photos, knows about ebay, looks up some values and guesses at price.   Throws it on ebay Buy It Now or Make Offer.  As the auction moves along with no buyer bidding, he will probably pull the trigger on any offer.   Within reason. 

That car looks authentically accurate and I am sure it provided the Dad with countless good memories.  For others information, the 1955 Packard V8 was a good motor and what foibles it might have had 65 years ago are likely now resolved.  Interior looks very nice for a driver.  In one respect, I believe the price is fair. But, I also believe the car is a bit over-priced because whoever buys it is going to need to gain trust in the car by going through the brakes, suspension and drivetrain.  The body paint looks original or a 60's repaint and will need detailed.  Hubcaps are easily available, maybe even repops. 

No, I think this is a nice car for $12,000.  You will be instantly transported back to the fifties when you roll down all the windows after a storm front goes through in July, dropping temperatures a few degrees but whipping up the fully leafed neighborhood trees which are competing for air sounds with early season cicadas.  Stop at the local ice cream shop for some sundaes while everybody looks at the car, then drive home in twilight smelling the fresh cut lawns and late season flowering bushes waft through your hardtop.  Back seat passengers are treated to an entirely stress free ride which can't be duplicated in a modern SUV which usually has windows that only go half way down, with a 6 inch thick B pillar, not the same. 

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, B Jake Moran said:

As the auction moves along... 

It's not an auction. It just a for sale ad and if you don't like his price you can make a lower offer. A lot of people prefer doing it this way without all the auction BS....

15 minutes ago, Lebowski said:

It's not an auction. It just a for sale ad and if you don't like his price you can make a lower offer. A lot of people prefer doing it this way without all the auction BS....

You are correct, but it's semantics.  I chose the word auction.   The correct word might be for sale, or presentation.  My point was that many posts in this thread are curious why the seller does not do more to try and sell the car, when the answer is he wants nothing to do with it, it's a burden to even probably take the car cover off it and drive it around.

On 6/14/2019 at 8:57 AM, auburnseeker said:

I questioned the hubcap in trunk part.  Not a big deal,  but why not just snap it on. (It's not like putting in a new windshield)  The thumbnail without the hubcap makes it look like a project.   Many people never get past the thumbnail.   Obviously once you get into the listing the car looks pretty good and not a real project.  It's a first impression thing.  

Still a neat car. 

Never understood why anyone would not mount hubcaps on a car they are selling - upgrades looks of car like 1000%

7 hours ago, John_Mereness said:

Never understood why anyone would not mount hubcaps on a car they are selling - upgrades looks of car like 1000%

I've done it once before on a car I was selling but it had all new freshly painted body color wheels with new whitewalls shiny lug nuts and all so you could see everything was fresh.  That was the only reason for leaving them off.  I did end up polishing them all up though and mounting them.  It presented better as you would expect.  People want ready to go cars and seem to care less what's been done,  as long as it appears ready to go. 

• Like 1

It could be no one knows how to install the hubcap without putting dents in it. 

16 hours ago, TerryB said:

That is a reason in itself to not ever buy a car from someone like that. 

3 minutes ago, John_Mereness said:

That is a reason in itself to not ever buy a car from someone like that. 

With an estate sale like this Packard is supposed to be its very common to find people with things that are beyond their knowledge.

Actually, the owner may have mounted a hubcap - if you look at the trunk photos there is a correct hubcap on one photo and in another photo is a different incorrect hubcap.

By the way - this is a nice looking 55 with V-8 in Scottish Heather 

• Like 1

Always liked the look of the 55 and 56 Packard.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, TerryB said:

Have you bought a cheap set of baby moons from China lately and tried to install them without denting them? I have and it's somewhere between extremely difficult and impossible. Are there any US companies that still make thicker baby moons? I don't think so.... 

On ‎6‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 10:24 AM, John_Mereness said:

Actually, the owner may have mounted a hubcap - if you look at the trunk photos there is a correct hubcap on one photo and in another photo is a different incorrect hubcap.

By the way - this is a nice looking 55 with V-8 in Scottish Heather 

Yes a classic 50's color combination, looks great on the Packard because of the separation of colors.

• Like 1

The eBay car looks like it has great potential at a decent price.  The seller would probably accept a fair offer to get it to a new home.  

eBay car is a good deal if it could be gotten at $12K (or less). Imagine what a comparable Coupe DeVille would cost.