Str8-8-Dave

"31 Buick 60 Float for Marvel Carb

I got my car running recently but the one recurrent problem is carburetor flooding.  Float valve is in excellent condition but float appears to have lost some of it's buoyancy.  I'd prefer to avoid the nitrophyl plastic floats that Bob's sells, I had bad experiences with nitrophyl floats becoming saturated with fuel and sinking including a fire. I'd like to either make another cork float or find a brass float.  Does anyone know of a source for a new cork float or brass float? 

If I make one what kind of fuel proof sealer could I used to seal it after I make it? 

Carburetor 001.jpg

Carburetor 002.jpg

I have used model airplane dope to seal old cork floats. It was a common suggestion on the old outboard sites.

Dave

Posted (edited)

Model airplane dope, or POR-15 may be used to seal a NEW (never been placed in fuel) float. We were unsuccessful when we experimented trying to re-coat a used float. 

I am unaware of a brass float for this application, although we have a few left for earlier Marvels (replacing Marvel 30-504).

We started machining Marvel floats from the closed-cellular polynitraphyll foam maybe 30 years ago. The reason: we could find no source for natural cork in quantities that were economically reasonable. The cork we could buy was "recombined" cork. Recombined cork was the scraps of natural cork from those who used the natural cork, ground, and a filler added to glue the crumbs together. IT DOESN'T FLOAT!

We suggest to our customers that the foam float SHOULD be sealed, after the float arm is installed on the float.

Jon.

Edited by carbking (see edit history)

I forgot to mention (senior moment? ;) ) that floats may also be machined from Balsa wood. Again, the float must be sealed after the arm is affixed to the float.

Jon.

• Like 3