Sign in to follow this  
ford model t

Fat Mans wheel

its not that iam FAT, but i do have a serious question

iam in the process of buying a 1931 Chrysler Roadster

it seems the steering wheel is really close to the front seat as far as getting in and out.

the seat is not adjustable.

was there ever an option to replace the stock steering wheel, ( which is huge ) with a tilt fat mans wheel

there is a lever on the wheel that controls the lights, iam told.

i suppose even the thought of shortening that column would really mess up the original aspect of the car

thanks

On my '31 CG the front seat is adjustable with a winged knob in the center down at the bottom.

Turns a threaded rod to haul the whole seat up and back.

Check underneath and see if the rod is there.

You might just be missing the knob.

I moved mine back all the way, and use a pad to lean against so I can get my big feet out the door.

Mike in Colorado

1931_chrysler_imperial_4_door_sedan_limousine_6a43cde855.jpg

Posted (edited)

The Chrysler (guessing you are looking at a CM6) roadsters do have a little less room than the closed cars. Yes, the lights are controlled by a lever on the steering wheel button. Shortening the column would be doable and maybe not even noticed if done correctly.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

Are you sure that you can't just remove the seat base and with a little work, reposition the seat mount brackets back a little  ? 

hmmm....I am restoring a '31 Chrysler CD8 Roadster (8 cyl car), and while I don't know just how much of the specs are the same here goes. (1)The CD8 had adjustable steering 80 years before it became common on modern cars! It has a 3 position adjustment bracket for steering column, hidden up behind the dash as shown in photo allowing height/angle to be changed as desired. On the CD8's, the steering box (shown) is not bolted directly to the frame but rather fits into a clamp style bracket (photo showing red rag in hole) that allows steering column to be easily moved up and down, thereby allowing clearance between steering wheel and seat to accomodate "fat" people!! LOL. Actually it is not fat people so much as long legged people who typically have their knees hitting the steering wheel. (2) If your car does not have these features, and like the CD8 the bench seat is not adjustable, moving the wheel forward (shortening the column) will make things worse as it will put the wheel even closer to the seat. (3). What I have seen others do in mild "hot-rodding" is change the angle of the steering column (usually they want to make it lower). This can be done by modifying the dash column bracket to raise steering wheel to desired location, and "oblonging' the bolt holes for the steering box to allow it to rotate upwards 5 degrees or so. Not an easy fix, but......

So there are some options, if your car is not fitted with the adjustment common to mine. 

IMG_3236.JPG

IMG_5566.JPG

IMG_5569.JPG

My 1930 Chrysler has an adjustment to raise or lower the steering column. My steering wheel tends to rub my belly when I drive. I think people weren't fed as well as we are then!