sprag --can a bad sprag cause no reverse??? chrysler

gregchrysler

What do you mean by a "sprag"?

......looking up "sprag"......

Are you thinking of a "sprag clutch" arrangement, which I suppose is the term now used for the freewheeling part of the O/D boxes in the '30s?

If there were one, selecting reverse needs to disengage it somehow. In the pre-war OD, it was a rod that pushed a sleeve over the "sprag clutch" to lock it.

Edited by Spinneyhill (see edit history)

Is this the gearbox known as Prestomatic Fluid Drive in Chrysler, Tip Toe Shift on De Soto and Gyromatic Drive on Dodge?

Basically an overdrive box with no first gear, operated hydraulically?

I can copy the pages in MoToR's Manual 1950 if that will help. There is a bit on Diagnosis and Tests and on Electrical Tests. Quite a few pages.

I am a bit confused (in not knowing what you are talking about plus what MoToR is talking about). They talk about 1946-50 (C & DS) and 1949-50 Dodge as above, then sort if imperceptibly slide into calling it the 1949-50 "automatic" transmission and then further on it becomes the 1946-50 automatic transmission.

Reading on, Fig. 80 shows a freewheeling unit with rollers. So it looks like there is a "sprag clutch" in there on the countershaft. So the question is, how is that locked to select reverse? It says the "free-wheeling rollers cannot engage when the direct-speed clutch sleeve is moved forward or engaged with the main drive gear". I think Rusty is right: adjustment might help.

Use 10W engine oil (not SAE 10 but SAE 10W) all year round.

I was thinking of parking sprag, that locks the trans in Park. The M6 trans doesn't have a sprag or a park position, it has a hand brake on the back.

If you mean sprag clutch or freewheel there are two, one in the Fluid Drive and one in the transmission but they seldom give trouble, and have nothing to do with shifting into reverse. If he is lucky it is a simple linkage adjustment.