Jason Zerbini's 66GS for sale on Hemmings.com for 110K

Seafoam65

Wow,Jason is swinging for the fences. I hate to see him sell it after all the work

he did on it.........if that car belonged to me it would be going nowhere until I passed away.

That would certainly be a world record price for a second gen car! I wish I had the coin to buy it!

The link, which I believe is okay to provide:

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/buick/riviera/2275622.html

Agreed that it is a gorgeous car. One line from the description saddens me: "Though it was built to run as good as it looks, this Riviera is too rare and exceptional for me to drive and enjoy without causing mental stress."

1 hour ago, j3studio said:

The link, which I believe is okay to provide:

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/buick/riviera/2275622.html

Agreed that it is a gorgeous car. One line from the description saddens me: "Though it was built to run as good as it looks, this Riviera is too rare and exceptional for me to drive and enjoy without causing mental stress."

I can understand his feelings.  I believe it took him 6 years to complete the restoration/reconstruction.  I remember him trailering the completed chassis to the 2010 ROA National in Hershey/Harrisburg and then the completed Riviera to the 2016 National in Williamsburg. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, DShip said:

I can understand his feelings.  I believe it took him 6 years to complete the restoration/reconstruction.  I remember him trailering the completed chassis to the 2010 ROA National in Hershey/Harrisburg and then the completed Riviera to the 2016 National in Williamsburg. 

I'm not knocking his choice—it just saddens me. The stunning expenditure of sweat equity does make you think. On my NCRS Corvette I definitely am more careful and take more consideration than I did before I started the restoration process—and I'm known in that part of the hobby for driving mine.

I might be reading a little too much into what he writes, but I think he might be hoping for a buyer who drives it at least a little more. However, at that price he may just get someone who wants to have one of the most perfect highly optioned second generation Rivieras in existence in his or her presumably expansive garage.

Edited by j3studio (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Well, if you can't drive it, why keep it?

For all the value we place on these cars, the fact is that most of them are worth less than the pickup you're parked next to at Walmart.  Which means: drive the damn things.  For those very rare exceptions, the conflict between risk and use is one that not everyone can resolve.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KongaMan said:

Well, if you can't drive it, why keep it?

For all the value we place on these cars, the fact is that most of them are worth less than the pickup you're parked next to at Walmart.  Which means: drive the damn things.  For those very rare exceptions, the conflict between risk and use is one that not everyone can resolve.

I have three collector cars that are basically perfect like Jason's Riviera and then I have my 65  Riviera  which is an unrestored low mileage original car with

an undercarriage that looks like a 50 year old rust free car and a paint job that is not a show job but very nice 44 year old lacquer repaint. My Riviera

is the only car I have that I drive on freeways and highways at high speed. The perfect cars I drive only on boulevards at 45 mph or less. I enjoy driving the Riviera a lot more than the other cars because I can go as fast as I want and on any road I want and I don't worry about getting a rock chip, although in six years of ownership I haven't gotten any chips so far. Because the paint is 44 years old and not perfect, I don't worry about the paint at all. My other cars were restored decades ago and still look perfect but I've had to repair a lot of minor damage from driving them, especially replacing chipped windshields.    

My Riviera has it's original windshield with a couple of chips in it, but so far I have held off replacing it because then I would be afraid to drive it on the freeway! When you go to the trouble of restoring a car to the level of Jason's car, it takes a lot of mental mind games to get your mind adjusted to the idea of driving the car.......I wrestled with this for a few years until I got used to the idea that I will just have to ante up and fix the damage when it happens. The worst thing that has happened to my serious show cars over the years was when I was driving down a boulevard in Dallas at 30 miles per hour and my GTO's quarter panel got hit by what I believe was a ball bearing fired by a sling shot. That incident led to an entire repaint of the car when mission creep took over.

21 hours ago, RivNut said:

Oh yeah! Lots of MZ coded engines lying around to sacrifice.  😎

It would have been easy to do this when those cars were new—when GM did cutaways in the 1950s and 1960s, it was usually with an engine that was defective in some way, so it was QC thing.

Nowadays, as many have pointed out, it's much harder and far more painful.

Edited by j3studio (see edit history)

I wonder if Jason could reach out that guy from Florida, John Saluppi ( Staluppi?) the guy who has his own booth at Mecum Auctions? I saw him sell  literally millions of dollars worth of his collection, then buy a like amount. The announcers said he like to "rotate his stock" so to speak. Obviously $ is no issue to him, and he would appreciate a work of art like this. Anyone know Jay Leno?

1 hour ago, rocky5517 said:

I wonder if Jason could reach out that guy from Florida, John Saluppi ( Staluppi?) the guy who has his own booth at Mecum Auctions? I saw him sell  literally millions of dollars worth of his collection, then buy a like amount. The announcers said he like to "rotate his stock" so to speak. Obviously $ is no issue to him, and he would appreciate a work of art like this. Anyone know Jay Leno?

Forget those guys...Im going to hunt gold in California and hopefully I will find a few massive nuggets to cover the bill!

I don't think Sienfeld has one yet.

Now, which comedian (with coffee) would fit this ride?

I'm thinkin' some domestic, senior, classy guy...Johnny Carson would have fit the bill.

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Seafoam65 said:

there's lots of R12 floating around.....I have about 60 lbs of it on my shelf.

Yep. Plenty of it, though getting more expensive.

R12 recover and recharge machines are cheap.  Seen several recently on craigslist.   Worrisome thing with R12 going forward is finding a tech with the right equipment to remove the gas for any kind of service/repair to the system.  Intentional venting to the air is a huge no no.  

2 hours ago, Zimm63 said:

R12 recover and recharge machines are cheap.  Seen several recently on craigslist.

There's one on the local CL now for $150 OBO.  R12 is going for $25 per can in a different ad.  Assuming those are 12 or 14 oz. cans, that $100-125 for a full charge.  IOW, if you can recover and reuse a full charge, you got the machine for free.

On 6/13/2019 at 12:48 PM, Pat Curran said:

It looks like something GM would have displayed in the show circuit back in the day.  The only thing that could enhance this display would be to have a cutaway of the nailhead on an engine stand!

20 hours ago, 1967 - 1997 Riviera said:

I wonder where he got the R-12 refrigerant to recharge the AC?

20 hours ago, 1967 - 1997 Riviera said:

I wonder where he got the R-12 refrigerant to recharge the AC?

Not a problem if you are willing to look. A friend just got 66 lbs tested pure R12 for $500.00. No joke I witnessed the transaction.

Turbinator

PS as much aggravation I’ve had with my AC I should buy stock in the companies that make the stuff.

3 hours ago, Zimm63 said:

R12 recover and recharge machines are cheap.  Seen several recently on craigslist.   Worrisome thing with R12 going forward is finding a tech with the right equipment to remove the gas for any kind of service/repair to the system.  Intentional venting to the air is a huge no no.  

Zimm, R&M on the shore told me they handle what you need. I’ve never dealt with them, but that is what they told me.  Secondly, using the recovery equipment requires genuine know how. You could hurt yourself big time if you are not careful.

3 hours ago, Zimm63 said:

R&M in Cambridge?  

Picking up a pair of snap on machines in working condition on Monday.  They are a bit up the road, but cheap enough to make the trip worthwhile.  Worse case, I'm out a couple bucks and some time.

Spent some time reading the 609 certification sudy guide and plan to read the manuals very carefully before attempting to use them.  I also have a friend who has experience in this area.  We'll see how it goes.

21 hours ago, RivNut said:

When, how, and why did this thread about the sale of Jason's '66 get hijacked into a thread on a/c refrigerants?

Well, Jason's car does have A/C...

• Haha 2

Yeah it does.  It also has tires, oil, brakes, and every thing else that all cars have.  Perhaps everyone should pick one item and ask where that was obtained.  😎  Just kidding.  I think everyone got the point.  DON'T HIJACK THREADS BECAUSE YOURE TOO LAZY TO START A NEW ONE. It ruins the integrity of the original thread.

• Thanks 1

Something like this huh. :D No real harm in this unless its really critical tech info that might be easier to find a year from now in a search.

As far as the R12 I have found it to be easier and cheaper to get now than 20-25 years ago. I believe this is because many people hoarded it and after many years they no longer have a use for it as many systems have been converted and/or they no longer have a car requiring R12, or heck, they may have even passed away.:( 

thread_direction_c431285376370a7c092e8682581a121b4a1b945d.gif

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 6/18/2019 at 7:17 AM, PWB said:

Now, which comedian (with coffee) would fit this ride?

I'm thinkin' some domestic, senior, classy guy...Johnny Carson would have fit the bill.

The guy Seinfeld picked to take out in a Riviera was named George Wallace.

image.thumb.png.deabe8d08fe9383f34e34adc4ceca492.png

No idea who he is. And I don't even know if Steinfeld is working anymore. I never got into his show. Maybe it was the butter knife edginess that was lost on me.

Bernie

• Haha 1