Sign in to follow this  
Seafoam65

Jason Zerbini's 66GS for sale on Hemmings.com for 110K

Recommended Posts

Wow,Jason is swinging for the fences. I hate to see him sell it after all the work

he did on it.........if that car belonged to me it would be going nowhere until I passed away.

That would certainly be a world record price for a second gen car! I wish I had the coin to buy it!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have seen this car and it is awesome!  The 66 Riv GS with the MZ engine is the rarest of them all.  I hope the car finds a good home.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

An invaluable piece of extremely rare art on wheels.

 

The car gives me chills...the good kind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The link, which I believe is okay to provide:

 

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/buick/riviera/2275622.html

 

Agreed that it is a gorgeous car. One line from the description saddens me: "Though it was built to run as good as it looks, this Riviera is too rare and exceptional for me to drive and enjoy without causing mental stress."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, j3studio said:

The link, which I believe is okay to provide:

 

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/buick/riviera/2275622.html

 

Agreed that it is a gorgeous car. One line from the description saddens me: "Though it was built to run as good as it looks, this Riviera is too rare and exceptional for me to drive and enjoy without causing mental stress."

I can understand his feelings.  I believe it took him 6 years to complete the restoration/reconstruction.  I remember him trailering the completed chassis to the 2010 ROA National in Hershey/Harrisburg and then the completed Riviera to the 2016 National in Williamsburg. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, DShip said:

I can understand his feelings.  I believe it took him 6 years to complete the restoration/reconstruction.  I remember him trailering the completed chassis to the 2010 ROA National in Hershey/Harrisburg and then the completed Riviera to the 2016 National in Williamsburg. 

 

I'm not knocking his choice—it just saddens me. The stunning expenditure of sweat equity does make you think. On my NCRS Corvette I definitely am more careful and take more consideration than I did before I started the restoration process—and I'm known in that part of the hobby for driving mine.

 

I might be reading a little too much into what he writes, but I think he might be hoping for a buyer who drives it at least a little more. However, at that price he may just get someone who wants to have one of the most perfect highly optioned second generation Rivieras in existence in his or her presumably expansive garage.

Edited by j3studio (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, if you can't drive it, why keep it?

 

For all the value we place on these cars, the fact is that most of them are worth less than the pickup you're parked next to at Walmart.  Which means: drive the damn things.  For those very rare exceptions, the conflict between risk and use is one that not everyone can resolve.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, KongaMan said:

Well, if you can't drive it, why keep it?

 

For all the value we place on these cars, the fact is that most of them are worth less than the pickup you're parked next to at Walmart.  Which means: drive the damn things.  For those very rare exceptions, the conflict between risk and use is one that not everyone can resolve.

I have three collector cars that are basically perfect like Jason's Riviera and then I have my 65  Riviera  which is an unrestored low mileage original car with

an undercarriage that looks like a 50 year old rust free car and a paint job that is not a show job but very nice 44 year old lacquer repaint. My Riviera

is the only car I have that I drive on freeways and highways at high speed. The perfect cars I drive only on boulevards at 45 mph or less. I enjoy driving the Riviera a lot more than the other cars because I can go as fast as I want and on any road I want and I don't worry about getting a rock chip, although in six years of ownership I haven't gotten any chips so far. Because the paint is 44 years old and not perfect, I don't worry about the paint at all. My other cars were restored decades ago and still look perfect but I've had to repair a lot of minor damage from driving them, especially replacing chipped windshields.    

My Riviera has it's original windshield with a couple of chips in it, but so far I have held off replacing it because then I would be afraid to drive it on the freeway! When you go to the trouble of restoring a car to the level of Jason's car, it takes a lot of mental mind games to get your mind adjusted to the idea of driving the car.......I wrestled with this for a few years until I got used to the idea that I will just have to ante up and fix the damage when it happens. The worst thing that has happened to my serious show cars over the years was when I was driving down a boulevard in Dallas at 30 miles per hour and my GTO's quarter panel got hit by what I believe was a ball bearing fired by a sling shot. That incident led to an entire repaint of the car when mission creep took over.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not an easy decision to make, but I do wish you well with the sale of this impeccable creation Jason.

I took many photos of the chassis he had trailered to the ROA meet in Hershey, PA in 2010.

It was most impressive ! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jason's frame at the ROA meet in Harrisburg, PA in 2010

 

792596046_1963-64Rivieras-Hershey038.thumb.jpg.d06e4e0a0cbdbcb377855ef633952cf7.jpg226899921_1963-64Rivieras-Hershey037.thumb.jpg.4f78606a39c29590d1b515392e216e75.jpg

 

In the first picture, you can see this white piece of tape showing the VIN on the frame behind the large hole in the frame just above the muffler.  

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, RivNut said:

white piece of tape showing the VIN

Wow, this must have been a great opportunity to take plenty of reference photos! You don't often get to see this stage of restoration displayed in public!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It looks like something GM would have displayed in the show circuit back in the day.  The only thing that could enhance this display would be to have a cutaway of the nailhead on an engine stand!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Pat Curran said:

 The only thing that could enhance this display would be to have a cutaway of the nailhead on an engine stand!

Oh yeah! Lots of MZ coded engines lying around to sacrifice.  😎

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Definitely the nicest 66 Riv on planet earth by a large margin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, RivNut said:

Oh yeah! Lots of MZ coded engines lying around to sacrifice.  😎

I was thinking Nailhead in general.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Pat Curran said:

I was thinking Nailhead in general.  

I figured that.  Had to post it anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, RivNut said:

Oh yeah! Lots of MZ coded engines lying around to sacrifice.  😎

 

It would have been easy to do this when those cars were new—when GM did cutaways in the 1950s and 1960s, it was usually with an engine that was defective in some way, so it was QC thing.

 

Nowadays, as many have pointed out, it's much harder and far more painful.

Edited by j3studio (see edit history)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎6‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 1:38 PM, Seafoam65 said:

Definitely the nicest 66 Riv on planet earth by a large margin.

 

You mean the nicest '66 "restored"  Riviera on planet earth Winston, and I agree 100% ! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if Jason could reach out that guy from Florida, John Saluppi ( Staluppi?) the guy who has his own booth at Mecum Auctions? I saw him sell  literally millions of dollars worth of his collection, then buy a like amount. The announcers said he like to "rotate his stock" so to speak. Obviously $ is no issue to him, and he would appreciate a work of art like this. Anyone know Jay Leno?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rocky5517 said:

I wonder if Jason could reach out that guy from Florida, John Saluppi ( Staluppi?) the guy who has his own booth at Mecum Auctions? I saw him sell  literally millions of dollars worth of his collection, then buy a like amount. The announcers said he like to "rotate his stock" so to speak. Obviously $ is no issue to him, and he would appreciate a work of art like this. Anyone know Jay Leno?

Forget those guys...Im going to hunt gold in California and hopefully I will find a few massive nuggets to cover the bill!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Check the equity in your house then see your lender about a home equity loan. 😄

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think Sienfeld has one yet.

 

Now, which comedian (with coffee) would fit this ride?

 

I'm thinkin' some domestic, senior, classy guy...Johnny Carson would have fit the bill.

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, PWB said:

Now, which comedian (with coffee) would fit this ride?

 How 'bout Adam Carolla?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 1967 - 1997 Riviera said:

I wonder where he got the R-12 refrigerant to recharge the AC?

there's lots of R12 floating around.....I have about 60 lbs of it on my shelf.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this