1916 Kelly Springfeild truck

GasWorksGarage

From the pictures, it appears that the governor is a "sandwich" governor. That is, the governor is "sandwiched" between the carburetor and intake manifold.

We have no information on governors this early, and very little period.

The Zenith documentation indicates that Kelly-Springfield used a Zenith type L-4 carburetor. Difficult to tell from the pictures, but the carb doesn't look to me like a type L; more like a type O.

In any event, the type and size will be cast on the side of the carburetor. Often, this identification is on the side closest to the block, and the carburetor must be removed to see the identification.

"Clean out kits" (gaskets, fuel valve, fiber washers, body screws) are probably available if you are not in a hurry, but will not know until the exact type of carburetor is known.

Once you can see the identification (in letters and numbers about 5/16 inches tall), it will appear as a letter (or maybe two) representing the type of carburetor, followed by a number representing the size.

Example "L4" supposedly original, or "O4" which the picture resembles.

The numbers on Zenith carburetors do not correspond directly to an S.A.E. size, but do IF you make the correction. To get the S.A.E. carb size from the Zenith number, subtract 3 from the number. Thus an L4 would be an S.A.E. size 1. An O5 would be an S.A.E. size 2, an L8 would be an S.A.E. size 5.

The following information is copied from an article on my website:

Carburetor sizes – 1 barrel

The Society of Automotive Engineers developed standards for carburetor physical sizes. The more common sizes found on automobiles are listed below. Bore size is listed as approximate, as some carburetors were much more efficient than others.

Nominal ½ inch or 5/8 carburetor, center to center 1 13/16 on mounting bolts, bore size approximately 13/16 inch.

Nominal ¾ inch or 7/8 inch carburetor, center to center 2 ¼ on mounting bolts, bore size approximately 1 1/16 inch.

Nominal 1 inch carburetor, center to center on mounting bolts 2 3/8, bore size approximately 1 3/16 inch. (Often referred to as size 1).

Nominal 1 1/8 inch carburetor, center to center on mounting bolts 2 3/8, bore size approximately 1 5/16 inch.

Nominal 1 ¼ inch carburetor,center to center on mounting bolts 2 11/16, bore size approximately 1 7/16 inch. (Often referred to as size 2).

Nominal 1 3/8 inch carburetor, center to center on mounting bolts 2 11/16, bore size approximately 1 9/16 inch.

Nominal 1 ½ inch carburetor, center to center on mounting bolts 2 15/16, bore size approximately 1 11/16 inch. (Often referred to as size 3).

Nominal 1 ¾ inch carburetor, center to center on mounting bolts 3 5/16, bore size  1 15/16 inch. (Often referred to as size 4).

Nominal 2 inch carburetor, center to center on mounting bolts 3 9/16 inch, bore size approximately 2 3/16 inch. (Often referred to as size 5).

Get the identification from the carburetor, and I can probably give more specific information.

Jon.

Edited by carbking (see edit history)
  • Like 2

The U5 is a later carburetor. The serial number (yes, in that era carburetors were serial numbered) 223631 follows the U-5.

The record of first usage of the Zenith type U in my database is 1921.

Kelly-Springfield started using the type U in 1923, again, according to the information in my database.

The U-5 would not bolt to the 1916 intake manifold. Is it possible your truck has been repowered?

We do offer a rebuilding kit for the U-5, but it is one that is made to order, and we are currently swamped with orders. Seems we stay that way most of the time.

Phone number is in my signature.

Jon.

If you've posirively ID'd the engine as some Cont'l, it's almost certainly a replacement for an original K-S in-house built engine, introduced in 1912 per Mroz's Ency, which states proprietary engines were not introduced until 1925 (one of the K=S engines was used until 1929, when the company died)...

OOPS...are you sure about your date?? Tad's truck spotters guide shows the K-S as a shovel=nose (radiator behind engine) until 1924; the pic above looks very much like his illus for 25-28...maybe meant 1926 instead of 1916??

"Had" would be too harsh perhaps.  Maybe the owners before you had also been mislead.  Lots of errors have been and are being made.  We bought a new Toyota in 1976 in Manitoba and moved to BC in 1978.  To register a car in BC you have to take it to a motor vehicle or government agent's office to see that the serial number is correct.  They discovered that my registration from Manitoba did not match the serial number on the car.  We had the original paperwork from the dealer and it matched neither the car or the registration.  Easily fixed in about ten minutes. Since sharing this with friends there have been seven errors found among them.

DO YOU KNOW THAT YOUR PAPERWORK MATCHES YOUR VEHICLES????