Summershandy

What's the history on auto Venetian blinds?

On ‎6‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 1:38 PM, Summershandy said:

I picked up my blinds and put them in yesterday.

I like the look! may I ask where you got them from?  would like to put a set in my 51 Hudson.

Thanks

On 6/28/2019 at 1:38 PM, Summershandy said:

I picked up my blinds and put them in yesterday. I liked the color they came in, matches the exterior. Quick easy install. Longest time was having to trim each blind but I didn't want to start hacking and come up short. I only had one example from the website to see the results and it looked like the blinds went straight down due to the curvature of the rear window. When in fact, they have a little contour to them. I'm happy and can't wait to show them off. I've yet to see any at the shows I've been at. 

IMG_7857.JPG

IMG_7856.JPG

Congrats on the period-correct aftermarket upgrade at a time when A/C was a rarity.

My 1952 Nash Ambassador 4-door sedan had a set of Venetian Blinds in the rar window,

and had the seats which folded into a bed.

I remember picking up a date to go to a Drive-In movie in New Jersey around 1962/1963.

Her father took one look at my car's blinds and bed,

called it a "hormone-driven Play Pen",

and had me park it and drive his MG-TD instead.

Image result for 1952 nash ambassador airflyte

3 hours ago, Flim Flam Man said:

may I ask where you got them from?

AVB Auto Venetian Blinds - Ruben Tapia. Seems like a good guy. Good communication too. Just a heads up. When I picked up the blinds shipped USPS the box was very badly beaten up. Worse I've ever seen in all my years of ordering. Luckily, nothing was damaged or missing. I reported it to Ruben for future. 

2 hours ago, Marty Roth said:

Congrats on the period-correct aftermarket upgrade at a time when A/C was a rarity.

Thanks for that observant comment. I like my accessories/options for any of my toys but I wanted to keep the poncho as you say, period correct as much as possible.

Thanks for the story and picture, that's just too cool! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Summershandy said:

Thanks for that observant comment. I like my accessories/options for any of my toys but I wanted to keep the poncho as you say, period correct as much as possible.

Thanks for the story and picture, that's just too cool! 

Your Pontiac is just so cool. Years ago, my own very first every day driver in 1959/1960 was a 1949 red Pontiac convertible, Straight-Eight, and three-on-the-tree. It was a blast through my high school senior year, and the following summer when I played trumpet with a band at a resort hotel in New York's Catskill Mountains, as well as trips to Tanglewood for time with the Boston Philharmonic and the Boston Pops. Arthur Fiedler was not only an amazing conductor, but also as enamored as I with fire fighting equipment.

Now, as a father and grandfather, Per my date, my Nash and the MG, I can appreciate her dad's insistance that I drive his MG-TD.

I've taken the car to 3 shows this summer and the blinds are a hit! Still the only car with them. 

I've also been using the movie as a reference of them as I speak to the spectators.....to sound like I know what I'm talking about of course LOL

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Summershandy said:

I've taken the car to 3 shows this summer and the blinds are a hit! Still the only car with them. 

I've also been using the movie as a reference of them as I speak to the spectators.....to sound like I know what I'm talking about of course LOL

Try going to some of the low rider car shows in East L.A. and you'll find plenty.

Image result for low rider cars with window treatmentImage result for low rider 40's 50's cars imagesRelated image

The one that sticks out in my memory was a black '47 or '48 Chevrolet with blinds in the back window.  Mom's cousin and her husband  and the cousin's mother stopped by to see us on their way to Indiana to visit relatives.  That car had blinds in the back window.  I believe the car was brand new and had been purchased to make the trip to Indiana.  Our neighbor also had a black '48 Chevy coupe and I believe it also had blinds in it but not sure about it.  I would have been about 8 years old then.