1964 Pontiac Tempest Convertable ???????????????

1937hd45

I'm thinking about braking my Number One rule, buying something I don't have any interest in. I can pick up a 1964 Pontiac Tempest Convertable, 6 cylinder three speed on the column for real short money. Is there any value/interest in them? Can you swap some trim and make it a GTO? This is pure dollars and college fund deal. The car is no cremepuff, a project, but still a one owner car.The faster I flip it the better.

How much money and what condition is the motor/tranny in. Is it complete and do the numbers match. Is it rod material or is it in good enough shape to put back original without going bankrupt?

The car is in a garage with so much stuff piled around it that I can't see the rockers. I did get the hood open, and there is an engine in there. There are three ladders on the top, like I said it is a project. If this was any pre 1941 vehicle I'd be jumping on the deal. I just would like to know if there is any interest in this era car. It is stone stock, what ever the new owner does with it is his/her business. Someone told me that the Tempest & GTO share the same bodies and chassis, I've always thought the GTO was more desirable.

If you have no interest why take the risk of dumping money in something you don't want? Don't get me wrong I love toys too, but if there is no interest I think you will be sorry. Just my 2 cents.

Edited by brh (see edit history)

Yah- but how many GTOs and GTO clones are running around now vs a 6 cylinder 3-speed stick Tempest ragtop? Rarity- of course all that means is that such cars didn't sell well when new.

I tend to like the offbeat stuff now that I'm older. Used to be I wouldn't even look at a four-door or six-cylinder car, but I realise now that even though they were the most common, they're worth a look and a save now too. You'll never make money on one, but you'll have a memory preserved.

And yes, it will take more than some trim pieces and a 389 to make a GTO. Beauty was more than skin deep in this case.

Look at it this way, hd45. It sure wouldn't be the first time this has been done. As long as you sell it as what it is- a clone- and the buyer understands it is not a real GTO, you'll be OK and reasonably immune from legal action down the road.

RR

Well,

I played with tempest and GTO 64-67 for along time. In any case the tempest is worth much much less than GTO, In this order GTO>LEMANS>TEMPEST. In 1964 and 65 The GTO was and OPTION PACKAGE, and 64 it is harder to decode the Vin tag where as 66 (when it beame its own line you spot a fake right off if the first numbers in the Vin are not 242.

BECAREFUL of THE FRAME they have a nasty habit of rotting out just looking at moisture convertibles are worse because of boxed frame. Look at frame under front fenders,and just before rear wheels, and mid section those are typical rot spots, Also rear body mount braces just behind rear wheel and the center floor brace and floor to toe pan joint. Trust me thsese are the spots. I've owned about 8 of these cars and looked at many.

If its got the cancer and you can get it under $500.00 you would be ok for parts car. If it doesn't have the rot just been sitting I'd say $2500 is limit unless it was a REAL CLEAN under 60K miler. You could sit for a while.

on the otherhand the 6 banger in that car is pretty peppy I think that is a 215 like the chevy design, and it is pretty reliable, and fun to drive.

My 4cents

Long and short it isn't a quick sell unless near perfect

56 Roadmaster, THANK YOU!!!!!!!!! That is exactly what I wanted to hear!I don't like stepping into the unknown without a guide. My guess is that the frame might be shot on this thing. I don't know if the parts would be worth more than the whole. MR.SAWSALL is my friend, but do I really want to get that dirty, and be stuck with the leftovers?