I purchased some epoxy primer from a very well-known mail order supplier which I put on 2 coats over bare metal.  I went to a local automotive paint supply house to purchase the 2K primer and was asked what it was going over.  When I said epoxy primer I was then asked what was the mixing ratio.  I said 1 to 1 and he said 1 to 1 is not real epoxy that it should be 4 to 1.  I then told him where I had purchased it and he said I would be OK.   I felt relieved he said I would be OK but having almost no background knowledge in painting any comments are welcome.

I've never heard a determination as to what is "real" or not on the basis of mixing ratio.  PPG's DP epoxy primers are 2:1, other brands are 4:1 and 5:1.  You've not named names, but as a general rule the best insurance is to stay with a single brand's system to ensure compatibility start-to-finish.

• Like 1

I like to use a 2K primer-surfacer over epoxy primer as lacquer primer-surfacer is quite old school now, and fails earlier than most 2K systems. Of course I am speaking of cars that go outside.😉

IIRC, Old PPG DP series epoxy primer (before LF) could be 1:1 or 2:1 depending on if it was being used as sealer or primer.

I started as a PPG guy from '83 to '95 when our supplier went out of business & had no other reasonably close. I bit the bullet & switched to Dupont, had to relearn the numbers & what I liked & didn't. Recently I have seen a bunch of good stories about Tamco Products on the HAMB (very large traditional hot rod site) I decided to try their products on one of my own toys. The color covered very well & the high solids clear (which has a higher percentage of solids than the Dupont high solids clear I was using) laid down very nice & flowed out perfectly.  Add me to the list of very satisfied customers. I highly recommend folks give Tammy a call or check out their site or FB page. Also their prices are much better than the big name guys. Now when doing a high end car, price should not be the determining factor, but after reading recommendations from others, talking to her on the phone & trying it on one of my own, I feel comfortable using them.

A picture just after being wet sanded with 2000 & buffed!

God Bless

Bill

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/nationwide-single-car-transport-hauling-open-or-enclosed.614419/

IMG_20190607_133307369_HDR (800x450).jpg

Edited by Bills Auto Works (see edit history)
  • Like 1