Flggg

50 Windsor

does the positive terminal from the battery attached to the block 

Yes. They are positive ground 6 volt. Also, watch out for left hand threads on the left side wheels, a Chrysler feature that not everyone knows about. Check for L or R on the bolts, sometimes the hubs get switched.

Apparently someone had it hooked up backwards what kind of damage was due to the starter system

Apparently someone had it hooked up backwards what kind of damage was due to the starter system With the charger hooked up I Hit the key The starter solenoid gives off a really loud humm for a while  then stops  what might the problem be

Have you ever had it running? Is it a new car to you?

The starters on a 1950 Chrysler can have problems with the solenoid contacts.

They are very costly starters and difficult to find.

Hooking the cables up backwards won't damage it...

Possibly the starter pinion gear is not engaged into the fluid coupling ring gear and is just spinning at 4000RPM  causing the humming sound.

Yes it is new to me it was running when they put it in the garage back in 89

Did you hook the charger to the battery terminals or one to ground on the car frame or block?  I you put the positive terminal from charger on the positive battery post and the negative terminal from the charger on the block or frame you had a dead short.  

I hooked them positive on positive and negative on negative terminals I would get a domelight at times then when I hit the key it goes out and stays out

The battery is not yet charged. The charger is not stout enough to turn the starter without the battery almost charged. SO, everything sounds good, just need a charged battery and try again. If it is a 1989 or earlier battery, first thing is to get another battery.....😉

If the battery is over 3-4 years old get a new fully charged battery.

Don't waste your time charging an old battery.

Get a New group 2 six  volt battery.

Then try starting it before tearing into the starter.

The positive battery cable connects to the block as the ground cable.  Negative cable to the starter solenoid  

Edited by c49er (see edit history)
  • Like 1

O’Reilly gave me a group one battery said  it would work fine when I hooked up the negative started smoking 

You have to take the starter out to properly check it out and repair it...probably a solenoid issue?

Starters 1946-53 Chry DeSoto (4).JPG

Solenoid C39 1941 1948 Chry DeSoto Canted (24).JPG

I use a crow foot, 5/8 swivel and a short 5/8" combo wrench to pull starters on 46-52 Mopars.

The 230 engine has a head length of approx. 23"... the 251 head is 25" long ...

To check the engine's stroke length..

There is a 7/16" hex plug over # 6 cylinder... remove it and measure the piston stoke length with a straight piece of coat hanger or welding rod inserted down to the piston top.

Rotate the engine over and measure the up down movement of the rod .......4-1/2" is a 251.... 4-5/8" is a 230

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, c49er said:

The 230 engine has a head length of approx. 23"... the 251 head is 25" long ...

To check the engine's stroke length..

There is a 7/16" hex plug over # 6 cylinder... remove it and measure the piston stoke length with a straight piece of coat hanger or welding rod inserted down to the piston top.

Rotate the engine over and measure the up down movement of the rod .......4-1/2" is a 251.... 4-5/8" is a 230

C49er....you always have GREAT information for this forum. Thanks for sharing.

• Like 2