Wanted 54 super/roadmaster temp gauge

NC-car-guy

1 minute ago, Buickborn said:

50/70 series gauges differ a little between the '54 and '55 versions.  In '54, indicator needles were white; in '55, they were red.

Oh thanks.  I havent had many large series cars. I'll edit the post.

The tube might be repairable.  Not long ago I repaired the tiny-diameter pickup tube for my roadster's gasoline heater by wrapping the break with extremely fine copper wire and then soldering the whole works.  Another possibility might be to turn the project over to a radiator shop -- ???

1 minute ago, Buickborn said:

The tube might be repairable.  Not long ago I repaired the tiny-diameter pickup tube for my roadster's gasoline heater by wrapping the break with extremely fine copper wire and then soldering the whole works.  Another possibility might be to turn the project over to a radiator shop -- ???

Interesting.  I seem to recall someone on here getting a new tube on one at one point. 

On 6/10/2019 at 5:45 PM, NC-car-guy said:

Before I turn to eBay, does anyone have a working temp gauge for a 1954 large series? My sender is stuck in the block and while trying to unstick it the tube broke off. 

I've got one, complete - $1,250.

Includes running when parked 322, 4 door body with decent chrome, potmetal and trim front to rear, power brakes, power antenna, Selectronic radio. Would make a great "go by" car for someone restoring a like make and model. PM if interested.

• Haha 1

Here's another idea that might work as a repair if there's a stump of the original l tube still attached to the engine fitting:  maybe you could slip a length of slightly larger tubing as a sleeve over the broken ends and then solder it in place?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, NC-car-guy said:

Holy Moly!  $200-300 to replace that tube!   @$!_!€€$?×&!!!

I don't think it is just a "repair the tube" issue.  Isn't there a gas inside the bulb and tube which is what causes the needle to move?

• Like 2

11 hours ago, JohnD1956 said:

I don't think it is just a "repair the tube" issue.  Isn't there a gas inside the bulb and tube which is what causes the needle to move?

Well, I've wondered the same thing.  But the type of gas present in the tube (including normal the normal atmospheric mix) may not be critical, since all gases are subject to Boyle's Law (having to do with the direct relationship between temperature and pressure).  Usually when nitrogen, for example, is used in shock absorbers or tires, the purpose is to minimize corrosion or transmission of the gas through rubber.