1930 Graham Special Six Value

lelshaddai

This nice 1930 Graham Special six has been offered to me for sale. Trying to see what the value is. It was a frame off restoration. Frame, wheel drums, other parts powder coated. Excellent shape. Mohair interior. Everything in prime condition. Runs and drives like it should. Thoughts?

IMG_1313.jpg

IMG_1314.jpg

IMG_1315.jpg

IMG_1316.jpg

IMG_1317.jpg

IMG_1318.jpg

IMG_1319.jpg

IMG_1320.jpg

IMG_1321.jpg

12-15k

cant go much higher, because it is an orphan car and you wont be able to find many parts for it.

restoration could be far more regarding cost.

Is this the car you really want? ask yourself that before buying. Looks nice.

• Like 2

Research this model car, past sale prices, parts wanted and parts for sale. Research the brake system. Is it mechanical or hydraulic, what is available? Is the body wood framed?  You usually can't see the wood framing but it is very difficult to repair unless you are a serious wood worker. Right now it looks beautful, the interior is very nice as is the outside but unless you know Grahams or know someone that does, you are flying blind.  A car is only worth what someone is wiilling to pay. You will be paying for it.  Due dilligence is required.  I don't think that you could do a frame off restoration for $20,000 today on any car even if you learned all of the skills required.  If you buy it you may become the official Graham garu on this site.  Good luck.

• Like 1

I agree Auburn,

but do consider that a model A has a great mkt for resale and availability of parts.

A Graham? not so much. When your manifold cracks, where do you find one? You must fix it.

Beautiful car.....................................

for 15-20k, I would consider a Buick first. Parts are out there.

Edited by mercer09 (see edit history)

I take it the car is local to you ? In the real world of car hunting, that is significant value added. EXTREMELY attractive car. Hear : I look at a car I want. Avoid any hint of buyers remorse thusly : If I buy today, could I get out from under it a year or two later for $5000 less than I paid for it in a "quick sale". If answer is yes, will I have had $5000 worth of fun with it for the duration ? If answer is yes, start peeling the cabbage. This is a VERY LOVEABLE car. A car to have and to hold 'till death do you part. A family and friends compatible 4 door sedan. It may not have an extra couple cylinders, but then again it does have TWO blocks. That will be another crowd pleaser at some gatherings.

Get to the bank Monday morn, tote a roll to your friend and start counting 'em out. Or offer ? Don't make it insulting. Anyone makes me an insulting offer on anything, I tell 'em "FULL PRICE to YOU now, hoss, or about FACE". If that Graham was done right, that is a whole lot of classic era elegance for the money. Wire wheels ? Sidemounts ? Hey now.!!! Count me with the folk who think the colors suit the car perfectly. No brainer : If you feel the love, go for it.          You know my 1927 Cadillac 4 door sedan, right ?    -    Carl 

• Like 1

An A is available any day of the week in any choice of options and colors and in many cases at several price points below this.  The fact that he is asking us about this car means that an A will not do or he would already own one.  I have an A in the back of the garage that I got for free, probably the only reason I haven't sold it and it's very needy.   I've had other A's as well.  Nothing wrong with them I just use them as a gauge for pricing other cars.   True parts may be more difficult to find,  but then again if it's really been properly restored,  you shouldn't need alot of them to keep it going.  I also don't think mechanical parts will be that hard to find or expensive,  especially with the bottom going lower on stalling projects and abandoned rod projects.  IT's not a Cord Or Pierce Arrow so I think guys will be happy to sell you parts at a reasonable price to keep it original and on the road, instead of trying to fund their retirements for a few years. 

As I looked at the photos, I thought it looked very nice, and probably worth $20,000-$25,000 or so.  Then I saw the asking price, which I think is very reasonable.  I am by no means an expert, but if you like it and think the price is fair, buy it!  It certainly isn't something you would see at a typical car show.  The Graham Owners Club members should be able to help with parts if the need ever arises.

• Like 1

Looks like a Second Series Model 56 (1931)  Nice looking car, the colors and interior look all original in material and original design.  It is the top of the line small 6 cylinder, should cruse at 45-50 mph no problem.  Hydraulic Lockheed brakes all around, with proper lining they should easily lock up all 4 wheels on dry pavement.  It will be a great running and driving car, a 1928 Graham-Paige 610 (same engine, shorter stroke) just drove around the world in the last few years, great engine, full pressurized oil, seven main bearings, Invar wrist pins, and aluminum pistons (the 56 should have an oil filter) AC fuel pump.  It might have the 4 speed transmission depending on when it was built, great for parades, or deep mud!  Is the original Detroit Lubricator still on the car? most have been replaced with a Carter BB1.  At that price I don't think you can go wrong, should be a great car for years to come.  You can check the model number by finding the engine number (under generator) or in the rear seat floor, passenger side, just lift up the carpet by the door sill.  Forgot to add 6 wire wheels was a $95 upcharge, plus $15 for bumpers (but that was not optional).  I have driven many Model A's this car is in a different league, but it should be at almost twice the price in 1930.

s-l1600.jpg

PS the 820 Graham on ebay had a bright yellow interior (someone's psychedelic dream? it is horrible!!!) to bad otherwise it is a nice car but 6-8K for a new interior will distract from the sell price.  Plus $1500 for shipping.  PS the 1931 Models share a lot of the same sheet metal.  (wow that is hard to look at)  Forgot to mention this car is not overdrive it is freewheel (standard in 820s)

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by Graham Man (see edit history)

I guess it couldnt possibly be dyed to brown?

anyway, if youre cruising the 8 is a better move. If going local, then yes, the car on this thread is nicer.

no way to compare this to a model A, but someday you might want to resell your Graham and there wont be that many takers........... that is my take.