SOLD ... 1 of 454 LX non-GS ’65 Riviera … Rare but Rusty

Rivman

Thought I would post this here along with on the Riviera forum …

Long story short, I have more projects than I will EVER be able to complete. I bought this car because of the novelty as much as anything else, and thought it would be a decent project. However, once I got it home, I realized just how much of a project it was going to be. AND, a few years after buying this one I found more what I had been wanting, a flame red/white interior ’65 GS. I need to downsize and am starting here with this one so I can hopefully get something going on the red GS.

I paid WAY too much for the car, it has rust issues as stated in the subject, runs OK, has brake issues, possibly the booster, and will be a huge project to get it right. The trunk, floors, and pretty much everything is rusty. I can’t really tell much about the body panels, the paint is years old, pretty thick, and cracking in several places. Where the paint has cracked off there is a good bit of surface rust. I am attaching several pictures that hopefully capture the details. I am reducing their size so I can post several, if interested in bigger pictures you can zoom in on, let me know and I will send them to you.

1215243871_Adforforum-June2019-1.thumb.jpg.fc32d40b56fbdb86a14df89547660dc7.jpg    700048181_Adforforum-June2019-2.thumb.jpg.74ee3d45a585b33d6919a5f504af39e2.jpg

2147134619_Adforforum-June2019-3.thumb.jpg.65d209be78cea7f4749234dbfa32f835.jpg   235617712_Adforforum-June2019-4.thumb.jpg.5ab287d711e06be3823aeb0df5de7791.jpg

168673452_Adforforum-June2019-5.thumb.jpg.9be55d95e99817a9e76bc70cfa68fbc0.jpg

As I said, I paid way too much for it, I am posting it here to see if there is ANY interest in a rare project at a fairly reasonable price. I would think that even if the car is not worth fixing the LX engine has to be worth “something.” If you are interested in a project that “could” have some value when complete, make me an offer.

Edited by Rivman
Title change (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Randall

Like most of us, I have too many cars but this one actually would be a color combination I like.  I like the Beiges, Browns, Golds.   I agree it does not "pop" like your Flame Red car would but remember Buicks were more conservative on the GM pie chart.  I like it and thank you for saving it.  It would be tempting for some people to part it out. 

Surely someone in the Riviera club world will grab it. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, B Jake Moran said:

Randall

Like most of us, I have too many cars but this one actually would be a color combination I like.  I like the Beiges, Browns, Golds.   I agree it does not "pop" like your Flame Red car would but remember Buicks were more conservative on the GM pie chart.  I like it and thank you for saving it.  It would be tempting for some people to part it out. 

Surely someone in the Riviera club world will grab it. 

Bryan,

Thanks for your input.

I actually do like the color combination too, I did check into a Beige/Saddle '65 GS several years ago too, but that fell through. But yes, once I came across the Flame Red/White GS this one pretty much took a back burner. With what it is I agree, parting it out is not the way to go, that is why I am trying to find it a new home.

Thanks again for your input, guess we'll see what happens.

2 hours ago, NC-car-guy said:

Where in NC are you. I had an out of state buddy ask if I could look at the car for him.

The easiest reference would probably be for me to say a few miles south of High Point, so almost right in the center of the state east to west.

Rivman,

That‘s a nice Riviera! To be very honest I own pretty much the same combination just with the standard engine.

I would be very interested in the wire wheel covers on your Riv.

Do you maybe think about selling them separately?

Greetings from good old Germany

Thorsten

3 hours ago, Thorsten65 said:

Rivman,

That‘s a nice Riviera! To be very honest I own pretty much the same combination just with the standard engine.

I would be very interested in the wire wheel covers on your Riv.

Do you maybe think about selling them separately?

Greetings from good old Germany

Thorsten

I agree, it is a nice enough Riviera, I just have too many and this one needs to find a new home.

I am not interested in selling the covers that are on it, I don't want to "part it out."

However, I do have 20+ wire wheel covers, some of which I would probably part with. The covers I have range anywhere from pretty rusty to NOS MINT condition. I am not ready to sell the NOS covers, what are you interested in?

Thanks for the reply.

Since I plan to restore my Riv completely frame-off in order to make it a grade A classic I‘m looking for pretty neat wire wheel covers.

So if you ever change your mind about the NOS condition ones I would greatly appreciate to buy them from you.

23 hours ago, Thorsten65 said:

Thanks for the reply.

Since I plan to restore my Riv completely frame-off in order to make it a grade A classic I‘m looking for pretty neat wire wheel covers.

So if you ever change your mind about the NOS condition ones I would greatly appreciate to buy them from you.

Thanks, but the offer I already turned down was pretty substantial.

But, I will keep you in mind IF I do decide to sell and the first offer falls through.

I thought I would bring this back to the top and throw a price at it …

Any interest at $12,000, OBO of course?

That is negotiable of course, just thought I would put a starting point out there.