DB26

Help with Leak from ‘26 Dodge’s Carburetor

Hello everyone,

My ‘26 Dodge’s carburetor is leaking from the area that has the shaft and bell crank. 

I have put new packing in twice. The first attempt failed immediately and the second attempt lasted about a year or so. 

In the second attempt I packed it and put light pressure on the packing nut. I took it for a longer drive than normal a few weeks ago and it started leaking again. Am I doing anything wrong, is the shaft worn, or do they sometimes leak?  

Here is a video:

I put new packing in mine and it hasn’t leaked a drop.  If it is leaking you should just be able to tighten the nut slightly and if that doesn’t work perhaps you have some wear on the shaft?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RichBad said:

I put new packing in mine and it hasn’t leaked a drop.  If it is leaking you should just be able to tighten the nut slightly and if that doesn’t work perhaps you have some wear on the shaft?

That’s exactly what I’ve been thinking. I did tighten the nut and the leak did not change. 

Did it get harder to turn the shaft when you tightened the nut?  It should do as it’s compressing the seal more against the shaft.  I think when I did mine I over tightened it (to the point it was to hard to turn the shaft) then backed off and then tightened slowly to the point that it was still easy for the shaft to turn (spring could close it).

• Like 1