2020 Grand National Allentown NOW GETTYSBURG!!!

66coupe
Message added by Steve Moskowitz

The Grand National dates have been changed due to Covid-2019.  New and final date is August 21-22.  Email blast going out 7/24 AM with a massive new change to new venue but we have a signed contract and we will have the event.  See post by Steve Moskowitz

4 hours ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

actual location in the NB Center.  Nicola Bulgari's wonderful campus.

Excited to go back here (previous visit BCA 50th Celebration)!!!

I am going to go from Allentown direct to Cleveland for the BCA National meet a week later with my 80C, should be an awesome week plus...

• Like 3

Guest Mark McAlpine

The 2020 AACA Grand Nationals are in Allentown, PA, at the Nicola Bulgari Center.  (This will be a great opportunity to view Mr. Bulgari's outstanding collection.)  The Zenith Award Judging will take place on Friday, 10 July, and the Grand Nationals judging will be on Saturday, 11 July.  AACA HQ is organizing the event, with Tom Cox & Steve Moskowitz serving as the Co-Chairs and Stan Kulikowski as the Chief Judge.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Mark McAlpine

There is no host hotel designated for the 2020 Grand Nationals in Allentown, PA.

And no, vehicles going for the First Grand National and Grand National Senior Awards do not have to be on the show field on Friday.  Only the Zenith Award nominated vehicles are being judged on Friday.  (It would be next to impossible to do both on the same day.)  Grand Nationals judging is on Saturday, and all vehicles need to be on the show field no later than 10 AM when judging begins.

I look forward to seeing you there, Brian!  What vehicle(s) are you planning to bring?

2 hours ago, Mark McAlpine said:

What vehicle(s) are you planning to bring?

My 1938 Buick Roadmaster 80C Convertible Phaeton (Buick's term, techincally a convertible sedan)... at the moment my only senior awarded vehicle...

Thank you for answering my questions as well.

Edited by 38Buick 80C (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Guest Mark McAlpine
23 hours ago, 38Buick 80C said:

My 1938 Buick Roadmaster 80C Convertible Phaeton (Buick's term, techincally a convertible sedan)... at the moment my only senior awarded vehicle...

Thank you for answering my questions as well.

Great car--I look forward to seeing it, Brian.  What color is it?

Guest Mark McAlpine
On ‎7‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 9:32 PM, 38Buick 80C said:

Botticelli Blue...IMG_9923.JPG.e5636ee44ee556dc9bb7063084ee3f83.JPG

Beautiful car, Brian!  And nice photo in the Charlotte Speedway Winner's Circle.

Judging is Saturday.  The show is open to all on Saturday.  As to Friday, the only events at the NB Center will be judging school, registration and possibly roundtable.  AT THIS POINT, since the facility is privately owned we are unsure of what access the public will have to the facilities other than open  on Saturday.  We are still working on the activities which may be open to all members depending on space availability.  We are limited to 650 cars for the AGN and will have to make sure those folks are taken care of for all activities.  Later in the year the tri-fold will be available and will give out all information of the event.

• Like 2

When The NB Center hosted the Buick Club of America

a few years ago, the Bulgari collection was not open to the

general public, nor was it open on Saturday's show day.  It was

open Friday when only club members could attend.

From what you're describing, that's the way it may be

arranged for the AACA visit too.

Today is three years to the day of the 50th Anniversary BCA event at Mr Bulgari's "NB Center for American Automotive History". I just reshared my album of the event on the AACA FaceBook page to give everyone an opportunity to see where next years (2020) event will be held. Just over 200 pictures.

Edited by philip roitman (see edit history)

I believe that when the 50th Anniversary BCA event was held at Mr Bulgari's "NB Center for American Automotive History", the trailer parking for that event was a few blocks away at the baseball stadium that is the home of the Lehigh Valley Iron Pigs minor league baseball team. I am told back then the team was playing on the road so the trailers used the parking lot at their stadium.

I cannot speak for the 2020 Grand National's trailer parking but I would think this location might be an option as well if the team is playing on the road the weekend the 2020 GN is held. No doubt Steve M will discuss the trailer parking situation once that has been locked in/finalized.

• Like 2

On 7/14/2019 at 5:34 PM, Mark McAlpine said:

There is no host hotel designated for the 2020 Grand Nationals in Allentown, PA.

The AACA or The NB Center should arrange some

group pricing at a few of the near-by motels.

Last year, I arranged a half-day tour of The NB Center

for our own AACA region, and looked at local motels

for anyone wanting to stay overnight.  I found that

the motels ("hotels") near-by were very ordinary

but were very expensive for what they were.  They

were conveniently close, but located near a congested,

rather grimy interchange and were still asking around

$175 for a night.

I negotiated a rate of about $119 a night, as I recall,

as a small-group rate.  The place was nice, nothing

amazing, though still located by that congested interchange.

But without such arrangements, people will be paying

high prices if they want to be close.

John, my friend, do you think we do not have any experience with hotels? :)  We have at least 18 hotels with blocks at all range of prices.  Several are at $119. One or two below I think. We negotiated the best we could with each hotel but no one would give us a large block at a deep discount.  We will end up with over 20 hotels, just waiting for a couple more confirmations.  Not only do our regions out through this all the time in putting on national meets but national staff have been running the event for the most part in Auburn for several years.

Guest Mark McAlpine

Steve Moskowitz

The Grand National dates have been changed due to a trailer parking issue.  New and final date is July 23-25th.  Message added by Steve Moskowitz

Thanks for the update and information, Steve--appreciate the notification so we can change our hotel reservations.

• 4 weeks later...

Steve,

Have you and the team considered having the showfield open to registered cars and members on Friday for display only?  I was at the BCA show at the NB center in 2016 with our car and Friday was the most enjoyable day of the whole event.  Just about everyone that registered a car for the show was there with their car and everyone had a chance to walk around and see all the cars since they did not have to focus on prepping their cars until the next day.  Having the showfield open on Friday also gives everyone a chance to get registered the day before and find their assigned spot, taking all of that effort out of Saturday so the event team can focus on judging and other things.  

I was at the 2019 AGNM in Auburn, and my biggest disappointment was not getting to adequately walk around see all of the cars.  With close to 400 cars at the meet, there was no way to see all of the cars at the show as well as get mine preped for judging and stay with the car til it was judged.  If the show field had been open on Friday, everyone could have walked around to see all of the cars and socialized more around their cars.  Then Sat. everyone could focus on their car and judging.

• 4 weeks later...

Not yet!!  Sorry, but we are still nailing down the details and will let everyone know ASAP.  Hope is January/February things will be ready if not sooner.  We had hope to have it done This month but it is not going to happen.  This is going to be a big meet with 700 cars expected and that is presenting a lot of challenges.

Will be going to the NB Center in Allentown for a private tour Veterans day (Nov. 11) with Marty Schorr of Cars magazine, Motion cars and Buick PR fame. We will be getting a private tour and spending the day with Keith Flickinger. Mr Bulgari is heading back to Rome this Wednesday. Will post pictures when I return home. Looking forward to being there again and having the private tour and lunch on the premises.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Photos are now posted on the AACA FaceBook page. Almost 300 pictures. A huge Thank you to Mr. Bulgari for inviting us. Another thank you to Marty Schorr for arranging this. You are a great friend and I highly value our relationship. Thank you also to my new friend Kieth Flickinger, your enthusiasm and knowledge, and you and your crews workmanship are second to none. The 50 Anniversary of the BCA at the facility was a wonderful experience. Yesterday was even better.

IMG_2076.JPG

IMG_2352.JPG

IMG_2364.JPG

IMG_2078.JPG

Edited by philip roitman (see edit history)

Well the new date ruined my plans for going. I had already planned on the National antique Oldsmobile show (July 22-24) because it’s in Lansing and can’t be in a more appropriate venue. It will be my first NAOC show with my 32’. My original plan was to go to Allentown first, the Lansing. Oh well.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Mark McAlpine

Thanks for posting the photos, Phillip!  I just saw them.  Marion & I are really looking forward to the 2020 Grand Nationals and visiting the NB Center (and to seeing you at the show).

• 3 weeks later...