2020 Grand National Allentown NOW GETTYSBURG!!!

66coupe
Message added by Steve Moskowitz

The Grand National dates have been changed due to Covid-2019.  New and final date is August 21-22.  Email blast going out 7/24 AM with a massive new change to new venue but we have a signed contract and we will have the event.  See post by Steve Moskowitz

Folks, very sorry things are up in the air.  We hope to have everything buttoned up in the next two weeks and get all your questions answered.  Sorry for the delay but we have been waiting on answers from others and I have been saddled with a medical issue the past month.  We are on it strong now!  There will be parking near the show site.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Steve......21st century parts in a Paleolithic chassis? Doesn’t sound like they used a Hollander Interchange Guide when ordering parts! I have heard of restorations using floor sweepings........but that is ridiculous! Hope your feeling better!

It's ok if you lean......as long as your leaning to the right of center...............😎

Hope you feel better and recover 100 percent soon!

Grand Nationals brochure soon to be posted!  Very shortly Pat Buckley will post the link to the brochure but registration will not be open until February 10.  Materials are being printed now and will be available at the Annual Convention in Philadelphia.  To those attending, this will be a great event but there are several distinct differences with this event due to being on private property and other logistics.  Lots for you to do but some locations can only handle minimal guests.  Carefully read the brochure and registration card please.

There was a question on here about parking cars on Friday inside the facility but we are not able to accommodate that for our event other than the Zenith cars which will be in a separate building.

• Like 2

Wish I had your doctors down here in the Boondocks Steve.  I'm about to take myself to Tampa General again.  This doctor says what I am suffering from (and was before the two heart deals --bypass and pacemaker) says this won't kill me, but you can't prove it by me or the medicines he has given me.  Get a new medicine today.  Sent in all the money for Miami and just hope to heck I can actually go.  EDB

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/24/2020 at 11:12 AM, Steve Moskowitz said:

YES, but some of the events will be restricted to those registering for the show as there is very, very limited space.

Will the Nicola Bulgari collection be open to any AACA member or do you need to register to show a car or be a judge to view the collection and the restoration facilities?

Two vehicle registrations sent. My friend Judy Stropus who picked up Karl Ludvigsen's National Award for his Reid Railton book tried to get me an extra registration form at the National Meeting. ( Couln't get there myself due to medical issues) She was unable to do so because the table for it was closed. She was told I should make a copy of the form which I did. Both registrations went out in seperate envelopes. My Hotel has been booked for quite a while. Looking forward to this and getting back to the NB Center for a third time. This is going to be a way cool event. As ex98th said if they don't for some reason get there, please let me know if possible. I watched my Mail man pick them up from the mail box about a half hour ago. Thanks!

Edited by philip roitman (see edit history)

9 minutes ago, Bhigdog said:

Well, Steve, You certainly know how to whisper sweet nothings in my ear. You do realize the FREE parking will now cost me $90......Bob

Hi, Bob.  Glad you re-joined the club.  If memory serves me correctly you ceased your membership.  See you there, bud.

i recieved the notice of acceptance back for 1 car so far. 😎  (My Yellow '73 Buick Sun Coupe)  Hoping I get the other one soon as it is the car going for it's Senior Grand National Award. (My Gold '73 Buick 4 speed) Thanks Ms Buckley for the quick response.

Edited by philip roitman (see edit history)

Guest Mark McAlpine
On 2/13/2020 at 6:09 PM, Bhigdog said:

Yes, Peter, I am a lapsed member.  But as long as long free trailer parking is seen as a necessary member benefit I'll get back "on the wagon". See you there...........Bob

Hello Bob,

Out of curiosity, when's the last time you hosted a national show?  It may not be as easy anymore as you think it is to find free parking for hundreds of trailers.  Yes, some regions that host shows are charging $25 for trailer parking to help partially cover some of their expenses (which can't be added to the registration fee--it's fixed by National), but a lot of regions are also having to pay big dollars to have somewhere secure for members to leave their trailers over night (or several nights). 

I know you've voiced your opinion about this on the Forum numerous times, but personally I don't think paying $25 for a 2-3 nights of secure parking for my trailer and car is unreasonable.  You do think it's unreasonable--and that's your opinion and you have a right to have it and voice it--but unfortunately that means the rest of us don't get to see and enjoy your cars.  (If I remember correctly, don't you have some really nice Tri-5 Buicks and Oldsmobiles?)

Best wishes!  Hope to see you at a future Nationals.

Hi Mark.

Obviously I've never hosted a national show. Just as obvious is the fact that there is a lot more to it than is apparent to the naked eye.

That said, I'd point out that the trailer parking fee is a relatively new addition to AACA shows. The fee has also been creeping up from $15 for the entire show to $25 per DAY. The last show I considered attending was $25 day per including DAY OF SHOW parking.

For the first 15 years or so of my entering shows parking was free and, to me at least, was a way the AACA showed it's appreciation to it's members for supporting the club with their attendance. I find I now feel I am seen merely as a profit center. Low hanging fruit.

I fully understand that providing space and security for trailers has costs in time, effort and resources.

I also realize that registration and associated costs are fixed by the National AACA.

My position is that the AACA is losing sight of it's raison d'etre. That is to put it's members and by extension the hobby first.

By limiting the flexibility of the locals to price and structure a show to best fit it's unique situation is lazy at best and destructive in the long run at worst.

There are many ways a show can be run to be solvent but they are proscribed from doing so by National. It seems to me that rather than explore those unique methods National finds it far easier to say: "we've always done it this way, just charge for trailers and say the 'S' word if anyone complains."

The hard core, written in stone, position that attendance will never be charged is incomprehensible.

Better to up charge the car owning, show exhibiting, members? ??????

Two shows that I attend locally (neither of which charge for trailer parking, give every entrant a participation gift, provide live entertainment, food, charge a MODEST $10 entry fee, have to limit attendance and STILL turn a profit) are Macungie and Strausstown.

Yes I know, oranges and apples.

Whenever this is brought up the answers are  always the same:  I. .E...."Yeah but", "You just don't understand", or "We are so busy and overworked."

I can easily afford the trailer fee whatever they might be, Mark, but I see them as indicative of the need for better strategic planning.

Whenever you hear "we have always done it this way" or " it's always worked before" you know there absolutely is a better way to do it. Whatever  "IT" may be.

I imagine I will be vilified as a heretic for the above thoughts but in actuality I care for the club and fear for it's future more than most imagine.

Thank you for your thoughts, Mark........Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)

Guest Mark McAlpine

And thank you, Bob--I appreciate your thought out and detailed response.

I'm not being defensive, but AACA HQ (nor I as VP National Activities) does not tell regions/chapters to charge for trailer parking.  I admit, when asked what regions can do to cover expenses like security, traffic control (if their city requires them to have police control traffic in/out of the show or the region feels it's prudent), EMT on site the day of the show (which we require and pay for 1/2), water for judges (which we recommend and pay for 1/2), hospitality room and rooms for Judging Admin, Judging School, Judges Breakfast, and Hospitality Room (if the host hotel doesn't provide them for free), snacks & beverages in the Hospitality Room, sometimes porta-potties on the show field, signs, and a host of other piddling expenses I'm not listing or even thinking of (but which will eat you up), I suggest looking for local and national sponsors/supporters to donate funds, goods, or services, silent auctions, and yes, possibly charging a reasonable fee for trailer parking.  (And, no, I don't think $25/day is reasonable, but in the one case I know of where a region charged that, I don't they had to pay through the nose for the trailer parking and covered their costs.) 

My mantra when I was a region president was "don't lose money--I don't care if we make money, but don't lose money."  I don't see anything wrong with regions/chapters making a little money for hosting a national show or tour--they put a lot of work into doing so--but I also don't think they should be building a clubhouse with the profits.  Keep all fees reasonable and affordable.  One piece of advice that I gave in my "Hosting an AACA Show or Tour" seminar at the Annual Convention in Philadelphia earlier this month was "What would you pay to attend your event?"  Always keep price and value in mind--remember that members are paying for travel and a hotel to attend or participate in your event.  You need to show real value (and fun!) to attract members to your event. 

The club doesn't charge a spectator admission fee because we want to attract more people than just AACA members participating in the show.  We want our shows to remain open, family-friendly, activities and hopefully attract more people to our hobby and our club.

We are trying to keep costs down for participants and host regions.  Anyone who has proudly hefted an AACA trophy knows they're not $20 plastic trophies.  The cost of vehicle registration doesn't cover a 1/3 of the cost of the trophy.  We could opt for less expensive trophies--and who knows, maybe some day we'll have to--but we want them to be special and want our members to take pride in their well-earned awards.

To help host regions/chapters cover some of their costs, they receive $5 of each registration fee for Nationals (currently $35) and $10 of each registration fee for Grand Nationals (currently $50).  We print & pay for all the necessary judging paperwork, information trifolds, etc., cover $1.75 for each dash plaque, up to $8 for each Judges Breakfast (this is in addition to the $8 the judges pay), etc.  We also now assign a national director to each Nationals (and Tour) to serve as an advisor and as a conduit to AACA HQ to ensure the region/chapter gets the support they need.  In addition to helping the region plan the show and not overlook anything, we hope the Liaison Director can help host regions/chapters be reasonable in the planning projections, budgets, and what they charge for the various associated activities.

One thing in particular that we're encouraging regions/chapters to do is plan lower cost award dinners (and to start them earlier so members who want to hit the road home that day can still participate) so that more members, especially those with kids (and the cost of meals adds up quickly), can and will participate.  Yes, the Grand Nationals and Hershey awards banquets are different/special and will probably always be more formal than those at our other Nationals, but for Nationals we're encouraging the host regions/chapters to hold costs down--barbeques, informal dinners, etc.  It's simple economics--the higher the cost of the meal, the fewer the people likely to participate.  That said, it's their call.

I don't view you as a "heretic," and I appreciate your input and feedback.  We all need to think outside the box and come up with ways to keep our national activities fun for members and spectators, but also to keep them affordable, while at the same time not alienating our members.  We can't please everyone--but we need to try to please the majority of our members while simulataneously trying to address the concerns of all of them.

Just one guy's thoughts . . .