66coupe

2020 Grand National Allentown-UPDATED!!!!!

Steve Moskowitz

The Grand National dates have been changed due to a trailer parking issue.  New and final date is July 23-25th

Message added by Steve Moskowitz

I have a question about the 2020 GN in Allentown.  Location is shown as "AACA Headquarters, Allentown, PA."  What is the actual location, or has one been identified?  tx    Charlie  Buhl

4 hours ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

actual location in the NB Center.  Nicola Bulgari's wonderful campus.

Excited to go back here (previous visit BCA 50th Celebration)!!!

I am going to go from Allentown direct to Cleveland for the BCA National meet a week later with my 80C, should be an awesome week plus...

• Like 2

The 2020 AACA Grand Nationals are in Allentown, PA, at the Nicola Bulgari Center.  (This will be a great opportunity to view Mr. Bulgari's outstanding collection.)  The Zenith Award Judging will take place on Friday, 10 July, and the Grand Nationals judging will be on Saturday, 11 July.  AACA HQ is organizing the event, with Tom Cox & Steve Moskowitz serving as the Co-Chairs and Stan Kulikowski as the Chief Judge.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Is there a "host hotel" or at least hotels with rooms blocked for AACA?

Also forgive the silly question but do non-Zenith cars participating need to be on the field Friday was well I assume not, but want to check.

There is no host hotel designated for the 2020 Grand Nationals in Allentown, PA.

And no, vehicles going for the First Grand National and Grand National Senior Awards do not have to be on the show field on Friday.  Only the Zenith Award nominated vehicles are being judged on Friday.  (It would be next to impossible to do both on the same day.)  Grand Nationals judging is on Saturday, and all vehicles need to be on the show field no later than 10 AM when judging begins.

I look forward to seeing you there, Brian!  What vehicle(s) are you planning to bring?

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Mark McAlpine said:

What vehicle(s) are you planning to bring?

My 1938 Buick Roadmaster 80C Convertible Phaeton (Buick's term, techincally a convertible sedan)... at the moment my only senior awarded vehicle...

Thank you for answering my questions as well.

Edited by 38Buick 80C (see edit history)

23 hours ago, 38Buick 80C said:

My 1938 Buick Roadmaster 80C Convertible Phaeton (Buick's term, techincally a convertible sedan)... at the moment my only senior awarded vehicle...

Thank you for answering my questions as well.

Great car--I look forward to seeing it, Brian.  What color is it?

1 hour ago, Mark McAlpine said:

Great car--I look forward to seeing it, Brian.  What color is it?

Botticelli Blue...IMG_9923.JPG.e5636ee44ee556dc9bb7063084ee3f83.JPG

• Like 2

On ‎7‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 9:32 PM, 38Buick 80C said:

Botticelli Blue...IMG_9923.JPG.e5636ee44ee556dc9bb7063084ee3f83.JPG

Beautiful car, Brian!  And nice photo in the Charlotte Speedway Winner's Circle.

• Thanks 1

Judging is Saturday.  The show is open to all on Saturday.  As to Friday, the only events at the NB Center will be judging school, registration and possibly roundtable.  AT THIS POINT, since the facility is privately owned we are unsure of what access the public will have to the facilities other than open  on Saturday.  We are still working on the activities which may be open to all members depending on space availability.  We are limited to 650 cars for the AGN and will have to make sure those folks are taken care of for all activities.  Later in the year the tri-fold will be available and will give out all information of the event.

• Like 2

When The NB Center hosted the Buick Club of America

a few years ago, the Bulgari collection was not open to the

general public, nor was it open on Saturday's show day.  It was

open Friday when only club members could attend.

From what you're describing, that's the way it may be

arranged for the AACA visit too.

Is it known yet if Bulgari will only have some of his cars on the show filed or will spectators be able to view 

more of his collection at the campus?

Tours of the collection are being discussed but nothing is finalized at this point. I assume they will show a car or two at the show but that is not for certain.  

Brian, we have blocks of rooms at most of the same hotels you guys did for BCA.  We will be publishing that list soon.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Today is three years to the day of the 50th Anniversary BCA event at Mr Bulgari's "NB Center for American Automotive History". I just reshared my album of the event on the AACA FaceBook page to give everyone an opportunity to see where next years (2020) event will be held. Just over 200 pictures.

Edited by philip roitman (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

I believe that when the 50th Anniversary BCA event was held at Mr Bulgari's "NB Center for American Automotive History", the trailer parking for that event was a few blocks away at the baseball stadium that is the home of the Lehigh Valley Iron Pigs minor league baseball team. I am told back then the team was playing on the road so the trailers used the parking lot at their stadium.

I cannot speak for the 2020 Grand National's trailer parking but I would think this location might be an option as well if the team is playing on the road the weekend the 2020 GN is held. No doubt Steve M will discuss the trailer parking situation once that has been locked in/finalized.

• Like 2

On 7/14/2019 at 5:34 PM, Mark McAlpine said:

There is no host hotel designated for the 2020 Grand Nationals in Allentown, PA.

The AACA or The NB Center should arrange some

group pricing at a few of the near-by motels.

Last year, I arranged a half-day tour of The NB Center

for our own AACA region, and looked at local motels

for anyone wanting to stay overnight.  I found that

the motels ("hotels") near-by were very ordinary

but were very expensive for what they were.  They

were conveniently close, but located near a congested,

rather grimy interchange and were still asking around

$175 for a night.

I negotiated a rate of about $119 a night, as I recall,

as a small-group rate.  The place was nice, nothing

amazing, though still located by that congested interchange.

But without such arrangements, people will be paying

high prices if they want to be close.

John, my friend, do you think we do not have any experience with hotels? :)  We have at least 18 hotels with blocks at all range of prices.  Several are at $119. One or two below I think. We negotiated the best we could with each hotel but no one would give us a large block at a deep discount.  We will end up with over 20 hotels, just waiting for a couple more confirmations.  Not only do our regions out through this all the time in putting on national meets but national staff have been running the event for the most part in Auburn for several years.

Since there was no host hotel, as one person

stated, I figured--thankfully incorrectly--that

attendees were on their own to find lodging!