2020 Grand National Allentown NOW GETTYSBURG!!!

66coupe

Message added by Steve Moskowitz

The Grand National dates have been changed due to Covid-2019.  New and final date is August 21-22.  Email blast going out 7/24 AM with a massive new change to new venue but we have a signed contract and we will have the event.  See post by Steve Moskowitz

3 hours ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

Charlie we are, trust me, we are working on this hard and hope to have a decision very soon.  We have a good plan for all our members that involves doing our best to keep people "safe" but let them enjoy a day of old cars. It is frustrating as this state has not made things easy.  Trying to plan with no concept if the state will ease restrictions for some events is more than difficult!

Steve, I can certainly understand the frustration you are experiencing when trying to plan an event and get some answers.  I can also very much appreciate the need to be "safe". I live in a county east of Hershey that came ever so close to exceeding the two local hospital's capacity to deal with the virus. That and other reasons can make some people less "risk adverse" than those who live in other areas with MANY less confirmed cases and MANY less deaths from the virus. 

Hopefully we can all come together to enjoy a day of old cars be that at Allentown and/or Hershey. The way things are going (my county is still in the "Red" phase) I might be coming to one of these events with the longest hair I have had since the 1970s. In the cosmic scheme of things, that would not be so bad.

On ‎5‎/‎7‎/‎2020 at 5:09 PM, Mark McAlpine said:

Thanks for the great observations.  For those who've enjoyed participating in a Nationals/Meet but have never chaired one, there are a lot of things that need to be considered, planned for, and done.  As you pointed out, sometimes you have to base your decisions on what the region/chapter can afford and at the same time keeping registration fees reasonable for the associated activities (e.g., tours, ice cream socials, dinners, etc.) so that the event is affordable (especially for families with more people to feed and entertain).  It's like the proverbial duck paddling across the pond--they look so serene, but their feet are paddling like mad underwater to make forward progress.

Probably the most significant thing (at least in my opinion) that's changed since you last hosted a Nationals/Meet is that the AACA President now assigns one of the National Directors as a Liaison Director to the Nationals or Tour Chairperson to serve as an advisor and to coordinate support from AACA HQ.  Yes, everything you need to do is laid out in the AACA Policy & Procedure Manual, Nationals Checklist, and Important Dates for AACA Nationals timeline, and Tour Handbook, but it's helpful to have someone with experience to help review your planning and budget, offer suggestions, and coordinate the support you need from AACA HQ.

Truth be told, the only reason I chaired a meet so I could afford to go to another meet was so I could stay home without having to shell out the money for travel expenses.  It also allowed us to show multiple vehicles.

As for the changes.  Back then I worked with the Vice President of National Activities.  At the time it was Hulon McCraw.  Hulon was great to work with and truth be told, I think I was on track rather well to where he didn't have to do much to do with me.  Ironically out meet took place ten years ago today.  I don't know how much has changed, but that's the way it was back then...

On ‎6‎/‎3‎/‎2020 at 10:03 AM, Steve Moskowitz said:

Human nature sir...we DO understand how badly everyone wants to have an event.  No worries.

Steve,

With the age of a lot of our members (including my father), you cannot afford to take the chance.  It is very difficult to put what's good for the organization over your heart.    I'm still working every day and I haven't been within 8 feet of my father sense all of this happened.  It's better to go a couple of months without doing something with him, than it is to put him in his grave and end that forever.

If you don't have any meets, or many meets, would that mean that the annual meeting be cancelled next year??  My thoughts are if there are no meets, there are no national awards.  As for the National Board of Directors you could still get that done by conference call.

Granted I know the by-laws state Philly, for the safety of the board, that too might have to be overlooked.

Guest Mark McAlpine
1 hour ago, ex98thdrill said:

Truth be told, the only reason I chaired a meet so I could afford to go to another meet was so I could stay home without having to shell out the money for travel expenses.  It also allowed us to show multiple vehicles.

As for the changes.  Back then I worked with the Vice President of National Activities.  At the time it was Hulon McCraw.  Hulon was great to work with and truth be told, I think I was on track rather well to where he didn't have to do much to do with me.  Ironically out meet took place ten years ago today.  I don't know how much has changed, but that's the way it was back then...

I chuckled when you said you only chaired a Meet/Nationals so you could stay home, save money on travel expenses, and show multiple vehicles.  Maybe I should use that as an enticement when speaking with regions & chapters that are considering to host a national show or tour.

Ref the Liaison Directors assigned to each national activity, some regions/chapters need more assistance than others, especially if it's the first time they've hosted a national show or tour.  (I explain to them that if they've hosted a local show or tour, especially a large one, they can hold a successful national show or tour.)  Obviously, you had things well under control, so Hulon didn't need to do much and could concentrate more on those regions/chapters that needed assistance.

Hey, if it's been ten years since your last meet, maybe you and/or your region could host another.  You should be well rested by now.  (Just kidding.)  Thank you for hosting a show and serving as the chairman for it.  If every region with 25 or more members would host just one national activity, we'd have a full schedule for the next 25+ years.

Be safe and stay healthy.  Let's hope the current situation continues improving enough for us to be able to hold this year's Grand Nationals in Allentown and the Eastern Fall Nationals in Hershey.

Pat, each of us has to make the very best decision we can for our personal health and those that surround us.  That is prudent and should be expected.  The club is doing their best to provide activities yet this year for those that are willing to attend.  We will make the events as safe as we can given the parameters of an outdoor event and our ability to meet  CDC guidelines  in place at the time of our event.  We have listened to everyone in this terrible time in our country  and doing what we can to serve them.

There is NO intention of canceling the annual meeting.  The annual meeting is more than just about national awards.  We have a GIGANTIC surprise for everyone this year and will do our level best to make the annual meeting something that people will want to attend.  If we have the GN and Hershey we feel strongly we could have enough nominations to make choices for awards.  If not, we naturally will revamp what we are doing, but we do have a plan!

Our National Board has complete capability of meeting electronically and has before.  We shall see...the one thing is absolute right now is that we absolutely do not have all the answers!  Working on it though!

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Mark McAlpine said:

I chuckled when you said you only chaired a Meet/Nationals so you could stay home, save money on travel expenses, and show multiple vehicles.

Wait you mean that's not a good reason? That's why I am chairing the BCA National Meet in Concord in 2021 😜😎 I thought I was set to win the shortest distance award at just under 3 miles, but turns out my father of all people is a half mile closer...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Guest Mark McAlpine
4 hours ago, 38Buick 80C said:

Wait you mean that's not a good reason? That's why I am chairing the BCA National Meet in Concord in 2021 😜😎 I thought I was set to win the shortest distance award at just under 3 miles, but turns out my father of all people is a half mile closer...

I think it's a great reason, Brian.  (Actually, I think almost any reason someone decides to host a national show or tour is a great reason.) 

Ref the BCA National Meet, you still have plenty of time to find a house closer to the meet and beat out your father for the shortest distance award.  (Where's it being held?  Maybe you could live onsite in an RV and arrange the cars in a progressively expanding circles around you.)

Thank you and ex8thdrill for the light-hearted comments--I think all of us can probably use a little humor this days.

Best wishes--be safe and stay healthy!

9 hours ago, ex98thdrill said:

Truth be told, the only reason I chaired a meet so I could afford to go to another meet was so I could stay home without having to shell out the money for travel expenses.(#1)  It also allowed us to show multiple vehicles. (#2)

7 hours ago, Mark McAlpine said:

Hey, if it's been ten years since your last meet, maybe you and/or your region could host another.  You should be well rested by now (#3).  (Just kidding.) 

WOW, THREE great reasons for your region to host the 2024 or 2026 Grand National. That will give you another 4 or 6 more years to rest and get ready. 😁

It's been way too long since I have been up in your neck of the woods.  😁

Charlie, my dad and I are no longer affiliated with a region and haven't been for four years, so if another meet comes to my neck of the woods, it'll be at the direction of someone else.  The Wayne Drumlins region that was a huge help to me, is no longer in existence.  Other than taking our cars to national meets, we're not out anymore.

Steve, I'll be at the annual meeting, but I just can't imagine there will be much new business when not much has been going on.

My condolences go to current president Jim Elliott who really hasn't been able to enjoy his presidency.  To work your way up to be President and have the whole year come crashing down has got to be a real bummer.

21 hours ago, Mark McAlpine said:

I chuckled when you said you only chaired a Meet/Nationals so you could stay home, save money on travel expenses, and show multiple vehicles.  Maybe I should use that as an enticement when speaking with regions & chapters that are considering to host a national show or tour.

Yup, it is.  In 2010 we did the AGNM in New Bern, our meet, Louisville and Hershey.  Usually we'll do the Spring and Fall Meet and the AGNM if it's a reasonable distance.  The last couple of years we've also been doing Early Ford V8 as well.  The meet that I chaired, my dad and I had nine (9) vehicles on the show field and one of them served as a flagpole.

Ref the Liaison Directors assigned to each national activity, some regions/chapters need more assistance than others, especially if it's the first time they've hosted a national show or tour.  (I explain to them that if they've hosted a local show or tour, especially a large one, they can hold a successful national show or tour.)  Obviously, you had things well under control, so Hulon didn't need to do much and could concentrate more on those regions/chapters that needed assistance

Yup, I think what made the difference is that we'd been going to at least two meets a year for nine years before we hosted one.  I'd been to enough meets to see what worked, what didn't work, and planned accordingly.  I think one of the things that makes it tough is when you have a region hosting an event where no one has had any experience going to a national meet.  Year ago Rick Marsh wanted me to host a tour and I wouldn't do it just for that reason.

Hey, if it's been ten years since your last meet, maybe you and/or your region could host another

We're no longer affiliated with any AACA region.

Be safe and stay healthy.  Let's hope the current situation continues improving enough for us to be able to hold this year's Grand Nationals in Allentown and the Eastern Fall Nationals in Hershey.

Yeah I hope so too.  We've got the '41 Ford / American LaFrance entered for a Repeat Senior Grand National.  If the truck pulls that off, we're going to own two of the three fire trucks that have won the Repeat Senior Grand National Award.  As it is now, we're the only ones who have won a Senior Grand National Award, and the Peterson Fire Apparatus Award with two different fire trucks.  Speaking of fire trucks, the plan is to bring one or possibly two fire trucks to Hershey that have never been shown.  The nice thing is that it'll be shown in HPOF so we won't have to scrub and wax the frame.  As I'm writing this, Jimmy is out in my barn doing more paint work on the new hauler.  When you see the new hauler, you will see another picture of the "truck on the truck" among a few things more.  Jimmy does all of my lettering and striping.

AutoShow24.JPG

Edited by ex98thdrill (see edit history)

Charlie, my dad and I are no longer affiliated with a region and haven't been for four years, so if another meet comes to my neck of the woods, it'll be at the direction of someone else.  The Wayne Drumlins region that was a huge help to me, is no longer in existence.  Other than taking our cars to national meets, we're not out anymore.

My condolences go to current president Jim Elliott who really hasn't been able to enjoy his presidency.  To work your way up to be President and have the whole year come crashing down has got to be a real bummer.

Pat, sorry you probably told me that you and your Dad are not affiliated with the region any longer. I must have forgotten.

I agree, Jim Elliott's year as AACA President is a real bummer for him, no doubt. I remember the first time I met Jim was at the Grand National at Kalamazoo, Michigan. We were parked next to each other at that meet, my 1980 Rabbit and his 1980 Trans AM.

Yup, it is.  In 2010 we did the AGNM in New Bern, our meet, Louisville and Hershey.  Usually we'll do the Spring and Fall Meet and the AGNM if it's a reasonable distance.  The last couple of years we've also been doing Early Ford V8 as well.  The meet that I chaired, my dad and I had nine (9) vehicles on the show field and one of them served as a flagpole.

Speaking of fire trucks, the plan is to bring one or possibly two fire trucks to Hershey that have never been shown.  The nice thing is that it'll be shown in HPOF so we won't have to scrub and wax the frame.  As I'm writing this, Jimmy is out in my barn doing more paint work on the new hauler.  When you see the new hauler, you will see another picture of the "truck on the truck" among a few things more.  Jimmy does all of my lettering and striping.

I remember standing in the cramped parking lot of the hotel at the 2010 AGNM in New Bern when you and your Dad came rolling in with a firetruck on a trailer. No big deal for you guys in that packed, cramped parking lot.

Looking forward to seeing you and your Dad along with the HPOF Truck and the new hauler. With luck, we may cross paths at the AGNM in July or Hershey in October. Fingers & toes crossed.

Charlie

Folks, within 48 hours we will have a press release out with more information about the GN (6/8 10 AM post).  To all those attending we will have a very specific and DETAILED new "brochure" sent out. 

Don't fret about  President Elliott and VP Tuck!  The board had a plan in place weeks and weeks ago!

• Like 3

AACA Grand Nationals & Hershey Car Show Update

The Board of Directors of the Antique Automobile Club of America (AACA) has faced many new challenges this year and has been forced to make difficult decisions because of COVID-19. Our primary focus has been service to our members, along with a deep concern for the welfare of our membership. As we begin to rebuild our activities calendar, we are pleased and excited to make the following announcements:

We have rescheduled the Annual Grand Nationals at The NB Center for American Automotive Heritage in Allentown, Pennsylvania, to August 21 and 22, 2020. This will include our annual Zenith competition. The 22nd will be the date of the show itself. We will send out an email to all those who register for the event with further instructions and information. Naturally, there will be quite a few changes. A couple of very important items to note is that the grounds at The NB Center will be available to current AACA members only and that everyone will have to sign a waiver of liability to The NB Center. There also will be no closing banquet, but we are working on a potential replacement on the field. Any AACA member who would like to register for the Grand Nationals, please do so online at members.aaca.org. The limit on cars has been reduced to 600. You may also call AACA Headquarters at 717-534-1910 to request registration materials be mailed to you. If you have already registered, there is no need to re-register. Anyone who cannot make the new date can request a refund by emailing our registration chairman Pat Buckley at pbuckley@aaca.org. If the State of Pennsylvania does not approve our event by July 22, we will be forced to cancel it completely and as such refund in full all registrations.

Again, please understand preparation for this event is fluid, but we will communicate all details to registrants in plenty of time prior to the show.  Also we have called all the hotels on our original list to let them know about the date change but please call your hotel and confirm new dates.  There will be no Thursday activities. 

Additionally, we have previously announced that the Eastern Fall Nationals in Hershey, Pennsylvania, is planned as a car show only event on October 10, 2020. The Hershey Region AACA, AACA and Hershey Entertainment & Resorts are solidly behind this effort. We are all taking steps to ensure the show is done in a safe manner. This event is also fluid, but a plan is coming together and we believe you will be happy to have the opportunity once again to experience Hershey in the fall. Chocolate World is now open! As stated above, we can plan, work, spend and do everything necessary to host you, but Hershey will also require approval by the State of Pennsylvania to be held this year. We are cautiously optimistic this can be done.

Starting in July, any AACA member who would like to register for the Hershey car show may do so online at members.aaca.org or call headquarters to request registration materials be mailed to them. If you have already requested registration materials be sent to you, there is no need to request them again. If a refund is necessary, it will be done in the same manner as the Grand Nationals.

We look forward to hosting these events and welcome your participation and support of the AACA and the antique automobile hobby. In the meantime, stay safe, stay involved in the hobby in any way you can and hopefully soon we can enjoy being together celebrating the history of the “automobile.”

• Like 1

Hey guys, as a word to the wise, if you're still going to the AGNM, you need to book your room now.  At this point I'm still looking.  I can't find a room, and I need a place big enough to park our rig.  The Allentown / Whitehall Ramada Inn is booked solid through November

72664311_10219080795106724_7583270660990828544_o.jpg

Edited by ex98thdrill (see edit history)

8 hours ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

Don't fret about  President Elliott and VP Tuck!  The board had a plan in place weeks and weeks ago!

That's good!!  One national meet doesn't amount to much.  I just remember how much Terry Bond enjoyed his presidency....

1 hour ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

AACA Grand Nationals & Hershey Car Show Update

The Board of Directors of the Antique Automobile Club of America (AACA) has faced many new challenges this year and has been forced to make difficult decisions because of COVID-19. Our primary focus has been service to our members, along with a deep concern for the welfare of our membership. As we begin to rebuild our activities calendar, we are pleased and excited to make the following announcements:

We have rescheduled the Annual Grand Nationals at The NB Center for American Automotive Heritage in Allentown, Pennsylvania, to August 21 and 22, 2020. This will include our annual Zenith competition. The 22nd will be the date of the show itself. We will send out an email to all those who register for the event with further instructions and information. Naturally, there will be quite a few changes. A couple of very important items to note is that the grounds at The NB Center will be available to current AACA members only and that everyone will have to sign a waiver of liability to The NB Center.

Steve, god bless 'ya man.  You guys have your hands full.  It is so easy for everyone to find fault, but right now you guys are walking a tightrope and there is no win-win situation and I can only hope the armchair quarterbacks can understand that.

For those of you who don't agree with the way that Steve and the board are handling things, remember this....  We have a lot of members who are 70+ years old.  AACA cannot afford to jeopardize the health and safety of our vehicle owners, judges, directors, vendors and spectators as it would be catastrophic to the club and to the hobby.

The modifications, cancellations, and everything going on is not about friendship, it isn't about popularity, and it isn't about being politically correct.  It is about being morally and ethically correct, while trying to adhere to the guidelines that each state is trying to enact.

In my own case, every time my boss turns around, he gets a directive sent down by the Governor, nine times out of ten before my boss can develop a policy to adhere to the governor's directive, that policy changes and he has to rewrite and redevelop another policy.  Since the middle of March my boss has been like a cat chasing his tail, and now he has to deal with the riots and demonstrations on top of all of this.  To our good fortune, not one person in my department has come down with the virus and no one has been hurt on the job.  That would only make my boss' headaches worse.

But no matter what happens, I feel bad for President Jim Elliott.  That man has been in the middle of a $h!t sandwich since he took office in Philly, and he really hasn't been able to enjoy his presidency, and for no fault of his own.  While we agonize on having to adjust work schedules and travel plans on the 2-3 shows we do each year, poor Jim has had to do that with ALL of them. 

Now you have guys like West Peterson who is trying to publish an excellent magazine, that doesn't have as much material as he normally does because there aren't any shows or tours going on, and none of the regions are doing anything.  He too has his hands tied with all of that in addition to whatever obstacles he faces with the publisher. 

Then you have Steve and the office staff who are trying to perform a juggling act with all these meet, tours, and making changes while having to also coordinate moving out of the old headquarters and into the new building.

Ten years ago I was approached by several people about becoming a national director.  I didn't want any part of it (still don't), and right now I can honestly say that it's a good time to be an indian!! 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, avgwarhawk said:

What is the criteria for entering a Buick? Restored to original? Original?  Both? 

In order for you to take your car to a Grand National, you must have already shown your car at an AACA meet and have previously won both your First Junior and Senior award with the car.  Right now the first chance you can get to win a Junior with your car is by taking it to Hershey in October.

• Like 1

In terms of condition, if you enter a judged class your car should be in the condition in which it left the factory in 1954.  This means for it to be competitive, the condition of the paint, interior, engine compartment, undercarriage etc., must be as close to factory new condition as you can make it.  If it is an original, unrestored car, you might decide to instead enter the Historic Preservation of Original Features class. 

As previously said, you must qualify for the GN by entering the National Meets.

Good luck!

This is the best news I've had in months regarding AACA Nationals and it appears I'll finally get to judge two Nationals this year after all of the cancellations.  Will there be CJE's offered at the Hershey event?  I took my Judge's School in Philly, but it looks like Hershey will be the only opportunity for the annual CJE requirement.  

Also,  I just made a reservation for Friday August 21, at the Fairfield Inn & Suites on 2140 Motel Dr., Allentown.  It was pricey, but on the AACA Hotel Reservation list it was marked as Sold Out, the only hotel so marked.  I have an email confirmation from Marriott, so I feel safe that this is a legit reservation, plus I'm a Marriott Rewards member, but that usually is meaningless if a hotel is fully booked. 

Thanks you Steve and the Board for putting these Nationals together.  I'm sure you have had many sleepless nights working to get through these difficult months and the events they have brought.  Let us hope Covid-19 is contained by August 21 - 22, and October 9 - 10, and our governor allows these shows to go on as planned.

The bad thing about the thought of Hershey being cancelled?? 

Not being able to see our friends, and to see the cars.  

The good thing about the thought of Hershey being cancelled??

More money to spend next year, and more time for the office staff to get settled into the new headquarters.  The new building will be a great way to showcase the show field, the show field will be a great way to showcase the new headquarters.  

NO more driving across town to go to headquarters.  The national directors will be able to have several of their meetings while still being close to the flea market so that they'll have more time to enjoy Hershey too.  As for Steve, it'll allow him to remain close to both the flea market and the day to day operations at headquarters, and it'll be a lot easier for the headquarters staff to set up and tear down before and after Hershey.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Sadly yes, you must be a member to gain entrance.  That is the deal we had to strike in order to put the show on.  However, remember if you have a spouse on your membership she/he is free.  Kids free too.  You could always buy a half year $20 membership for anyone else attending.  Not a perfect solution but nothing this year is perfect at all!

Wow, that facility seems purpose made for car shows and perfect for the circumstances. We've been to two events there and are anxious to get back. Tom and Steve have really pulled the proverbial rabbit out of the hat. Thanks for making a great choice.

Terry

• Like 1

Steve,

An excellent substitute, as been to Riviera Meet there and proposing a future BCA Meet there. , I am afraid my wife is quite concerned about my health, so we will be withdrawing. This is not because of the venue change, but our decision not to travel. I applaud your, and others. outstanding efforts to make this happen and to make it a safe event.  I just wish I was about 10 years younger.

Again, I appreciate your efforts going above and beyond what was in " your job description".  Thank you so much.

John Scheib

Sorry, but I won't be able to make it! The big draw for me was having a location that was close to my home, where I could go down and back in the same day, and Allentown was perfect.My cataracts won't allow me to drive after dark and, with my wife's passing in November , I lost my copilot. I hope your event is a great success and I applaud your efforts in this impossible year. I'll see you at Hershey, "Good Lord willing and the creek don't rise"

cutlasguy

17 hours ago, jscheib said:

Steve,

An excellent substitute, as been to Riviera Meet there and proposing a future BCA Meet there. , I am afraid my wife is quite concerned about my health, so we will be withdrawing. This is not because of the venue change, but our decision not to travel. I applaud your, and others. outstanding efforts to make this happen and to make it a safe event.  I just wish I was about 10 years younger.

Again, I appreciate your efforts going above and beyond what was in " your job description".  Thank you so much.

John Scheib

15 hours ago, cutlasguy said:

Sorry, but I won't be able to make it! The big draw for me was having a location that was close to my home, where I could go down and back in the same day, and Allentown was perfect.My cataracts won't allow me to drive after dark and, with my wife's passing in November , I lost my copilot. I hope your event is a great success and I applaud your efforts in this impossible year. I'll see you at Hershey, "Good Lord willing and the creek don't rise"

cutlasguy

Cutlass Guy I am sorry to hear of the loss of your wife, I don't have cataracts, but don't like driving at night either. 

I am sort of with John and Cutlass Guy. My wife is afraid for her health, I do not want to listen to her complain. There is no way I can make there and back in one day so I am not sure at this point if I will attend. 

I applaud Tom and Steve for their efforts to make this happen one way or another

On 7/24/2020 at 10:23 AM, pyasher said:

So if I want to attend but will be bringing my late model vehicle I can by just paying at the event? 

I might be wrong, the way I read it is you'd have to have your vehicle entered in the meet and be registered.  

That in turn means that the vehicle you're bringing has to be a senior winner.

Of course if you have enough judging credits, you can sign up to be a judge.

• Like 1