lancemb

1957 76C

Some more progress:

Major repairs have been completed to the frame, and it's been stripped and sandblasted.  This uncovered a couple small areas up front that will need a patch welded in.  Overall, looking much nicer though!

20200214_110613.thumb.jpg.11bd5ccc3cc0e0e1c8d8e64729ac170d.jpg

20200214_110631.thumb.jpg.72e9557198fa5e629d3ea0bc3db56aea.jpg

• Like 3

They noticed these marks, same on both sides, where it looks like frame had been modified and then repaired.  Right above this in trunk the sheetmetal was separated.  We speculate this was where the frame for the gates for the harness racing were mounted originally.  Kind of cool, and the repair is good, so I might just leave the marks for history.

20200214_095846.thumb.jpg.b382dc506d1175413b0f310f187fcc26.jpg

• Like 4

The body is on a rotisserie now, and most of it will be sandblasted soon, especially underneath since that will be painted before going back on the frame.  I am going to leave dash and most of firewall intact for now.

20200214_110637.thumb.jpg.963f66e336afa0b39a93b22334c1729c.jpg

• Like 3

The trunk lid has been repaired (that thing was ugly) but not finished yet.  After its sandblasted it will be finished off.  Since it is specific to 1957 Roadmaster and Super convertible only, I was not about to count on finding another!

20200214_105917.thumb.jpg.8c494ce900199cf9813a3f2c69f89b52.jpg

• Like 2

Hi Lance

Looking good. I didn't realize this was a harness racing car and a Roadmaster convertible with heater delete! I had a white 1956 Roadmaster Convertible that was used to open the gate for harness racing and it had bars welded on the frame in the exact same spot as yours. Unfortunately for me, it was missing the trunk lid. The car is fully restored now, but was a big project.

If they are going to blast the entire body, might as well strip the firewall and remove the dash, everything will be nicely cleaned up.

Keep up the great work.

Steve

• Like 1

Gets me every time...that heater delete!

Great progress...thanking my lucky stars I didn't get to deal with the trunk lid.🤣

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, FireballV8 said:

Hi Lance

Looking good. I didn't realize this was a harness racing car and a Roadmaster convertible with heater delete! I had a white 1956 Roadmaster Convertible that was used to open the gate for harness racing and it had bars welded on the frame in the exact same spot as yours. Unfortunately for me, it was missing the trunk lid. The car is fully restored now, but was a big project.

If they are going to blast the entire body, might as well strip the firewall and remove the dash, everything will be nicely cleaned up.

Keep up the great work.

Steve

Steve, that's great to confirm that your car was affected in the exact same spot on the frame!

After further consideration, I think it makes sense to blaat the outer firewall as it's pretty flaky.  I do want to keep the dash intact for now, though.

Thanks for the encouragement

• Thanks 1

A bit more progress.  Frame is all repaired, and with first coat of primer.

20200226_1246121.jpg

• Like 4