Recommendations for engine fluids

JudyD

Hello All,

Thank you kindly for your previous thoughts about the Dynaflow on the 52 Super I am looking at.  

I do have one more question to pick your brains about. I am going to make an offer on the car but before I drive it home (about a 20 mile trip)  I want to make sure all the important engine fluids are topped off. Do you guys have any recommendations for modern day equivalents for the transmission fluid and brake fluid?  I am including a pic of the car with my better half.

Thanks again,

Judy

52Super.jpg

• Like 1

Unless a previous owner changed the system to DOT5, use DOT 3 brake fluid.

Dexron III, Dexron/Mercon, but not Dexron IV are OK for your Dynaflow.

• Like 5

Dex 3 is fine for the transmission. 

DOT 3 is probably fine for the brakes. Some of us have converted to DOT 5 because it’s not as corrosive, but that is unusual. I’d ask the previous owner to be sure, because 3 & 5 are incompatible, but 5 is fairly unusual. If you dip a towel in the brake reservoir and find that it is straw colored fluid, it’s DOT 3. 

• Like 2

I somewhat suspect anything unusual in fluids were used by the prior owner.  Just a gut feeling.

You might not find a fluid rated "Dexron III" any more, as GM ceased to license that product when they upgraded to the Dex VI fluid.  Look on the bottle of "multi-make ATF" to see if it's compatible with USA-built GM vehicles, as some multi-make atfs are for Hondas and such.  The GM-oriented stuff is available, just read the bottle.

"Normal" antifreeze.  The old "green stuff", unless you do a complete fluid/flush and use something else.  I think Prestone has some "one size fits most" coolant?

DOT 3 and 4 are pretty much interchangeable.  DOT 5.1 is the non-silicone upgrade from those.  I suspect that what's in it is DOT 3-oriented.

If the fluids are currently "not empty", fur not completely full either, then use just enough to get them to the "low" mark and ease it on to its new residence.  Gently over shower routes to that destination.  THEN once stabilized in its new residence location, you can further check things out and progress from there.  Flushing new brake fluid through the lines, changing engine/trans/rear axle lubes, etc.  Checking the spark plugs and such, too.  Lots of stress-relieving "fun" stuff!

DO check the tires' production date codes, too!

But for now, engine oil and tire pressures would be main things to check.  No atf unless it doesnt' want to move when put into gear.

Enjoy and keep us posted on your progress.

NTX5467

• Thanks 1

I apprecite all the advice! I have all I need now to ensure that I can get it home without doing any damage. 

Made an offer today and he is thinking about it.  The owner is asking way too much based on the condition and I don't know if he will be willing to come down to what it is worth. We'll see, but now I have the BUG so if this one doesn't work out, I suppose the hunt will begin in earnest.

• Like 2

An old car sitting near a building with "antiques" written on it or even across the street is a red flag price-wise. On Friday my Wife and I drove along an 80 mile stretch of Rt 20 in western New York that is dotted with antique shops quite similar to the building picture. My comment, no kidding, was "Gee, none of the perennial cars were out". She's a flower person and there was no problem with her understanding that I meant the same old cars that come out for sale in front of those places every year.

For the new owner of an undocumented car that has had brake service in the past 25 years (we kind of hope), you can take a small sample of brake fluid from the reservoir and put it in a saucer. Put a drop of water into it. If the water and fluid appear to mix the fluid is mineral based, DOT 3 or 4. If the water beads and looks like it is bouncing away it is silicone, DOT 5.

Just got the bug, join a local chapter of the make you like. Use all the talent they have available to buy the best car you can get. It could mean the difference between "This would be a really good car for you" or "Oh, you bought that car".

Nothing better than a flatbed to get your new car home. Taking short trips around the neighborhood in ever expanding circles may not be adventurous, but each one builds confidence,

Bernie

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

An old car sitting near a building with "antiques" written on it or even across the street is a red flag price-wise. On Friday my Wife and I drove along an 80 mile stretch of Rt 20 in western New York that is dotted with antique shops quite similar to the building picture. My comment, no kidding, was "Gee, none of the perennial cars were out". She's a flower person and there was no problem with her understanding that I meant the same old cars that come out for sale in front of those places every year.

For the new owner of an undocumented car that has had brake service in the past 25 years (we kind of hope), you can take a small sample of brake fluid from the reservoir and put it in a saucer. Put a drop of water into it. If the water and fluid appear to mix the fluid is mineral based, DOT 3 or 4. If the water beads and looks like it is bouncing away it is silicone, DOT 5.

Just got the bug, join a local chapter of the make you like. Use all the talent they have available to buy the best car you can get. It could mean the difference between "This would be a really good car for you" or "Oh, you bought that car".

Nothing better than a flatbed to get your new car home. Taking short trips around the neighborhood in ever expanding circles may not be adventurous, but each one builds confidence,

Bernie

Good points! One thing I know is that this car is new to the local market.  That said if he is holding out for an out of this world price we could see it in this parkig lot for years to come! 

We are so much in the boonies here that there is no local Antique/Classic Buick Club, but there is a quality Antique Car Club that accepts all make and model lovers.  I am sure I could get some good advice from them! Really did appreciate your comment..."Oh, you bought that car".  Made me laugh...but so true!

And thanks for the tip about the brake fluid! I will definitely do this.