Sign in to follow this  
48Firetruck

Newbie: First time being judged...advice.

Hello, first post on this forum. I own a few antique vehicles that I drive regularly,  but I avoid shows that judge. For me, prepping for judging turns my hobby into a job and just doesn't interest me. My recent acquisition however, I've been told is something special,  a 1942 Series 63 Cadillac. It's all original, unrestored, 31,800 miles, in very good condition. To be honest, I bought it on a whim, in the dark, (seriously) and had little idea of what it was at the time. Now, knowing more about it I was thinking about having it judged by real judges at an AACA event, mostly just to see where it stands and maybe get advice on what needs corrected. 

The car's been largely untouched in the last 77 years, far from perfect, has some normal wear and tear and would be driven to the show.  I don't want to be "that guy" that everyone talks about  for parking my weekend cruiser in a field of 6 figure show cars...  

How serious are these types of events/owners? Other than regular detailing what preparations should be done before arriving? Advice appreciated.

KIMG0476~2.JPG

KIMG0467~3.JPG

KIMG0265.JPG

KIMG0475.JPG

Wonderful car! I had a '41 60S that was all original and was one of my favorite cars I've ever owned. Your car is ideally suited for HPOF judging, which is Historical Preservation of Original Features. It isn't points judging like the other classes, more of a certification process that allows the judges to verify that the car is original (there are guidelines for what qualifies in the rule book). However, the car almost looks nice enough to compete in regular points judging as well. I don't know if you can do both or do points judging and then HPOF, but that might be worth looking into if you're curious about how it will stack up against restored cars.

Personally, I cherish original cars above restored cars--they tend to drive better and there's just no way to replicate the feeling of a car that has never been part. Enjoy the car whatever you do, that's a fantastic find!

Posted (edited)

Nice car! I agree that you should start out in class judging from what you have shown us. Even if you don't get a First Junior the first time out, you can still get an overview (not points deduction) from the VP of Judging. 

How about the engine and wiring. Does it look as good?

Definitely check maintenance items like spark plug wires, tires etc. to make sure of originality. 

You should go to aaca.org, under Publications download Judging Guidelines. That will answer a lot of questions for you.

BTW, you cannot switch back and forth from class judging to HPOF if you win a First Junior. It is a ten year wait to switch

Edited by Phillip Cole
Addition (see edit history)

Car looks nice in the pictures and as others have said, looks almost as if it could be points judged.  OTOH, not seeing engine pictures or undercarraige pictures, it could be a different story.  You will be showing ina class where most of the cars will be professionally restored so, while it is still possible, an unrestored car will probably not do so well.  Their engine compartments will be basically flawless as will their uncarriages.  

There is little doubt that you will get a HPOF certification but that may be less that what you are wanting.