MrEarl

ATTENTION Midwest City "Coming Together of Friends"

4 hours ago, Pete Phillips said:

When I bought the '46 Roadmaster conv., seller assured me that the brakes had just been done. On test drives around here last week, I thought the brakes were atrocious--would barely stop the car with all the pedal pressure I can muster. Decided to check the wheel cylinders yesterday afternoon. Took the front wheels and drums off (had to pull one off with a drum puller), brand new shoes, brand new brake hoses, ancient wheel cylinders with jellied brake fluid, sticky rubber caps, and plenty of rust--probably the original ones! Luckily, I had some NOS front wheel cylinders on the shelf. Got done last night about 9 pm., so a very late evening meal! Car should be in tip-top shape for the highway now. This one gets driven, not trailered to the show.

Pete Phillips

IMG_2890.JPG

Pete, The brakes had been done in 1946!!!

9 hours ago, old-tank said:

Wash it after you get there...after you help me with mine.;)

Why wash it.  We have a work truck.  We haul all kinds of stuff in it including moving desks, chairs, etc.. for friends around the neighborhood.

We drive it in the rain to clean the dirt and mud off.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

We will be meeting Dave Blaufarb near Strasburg VA. around 8:30 in the AM to caravan with his 41. See you soon!

DSCF7500.thumb.jpg.e81e8f75fcc4045939c6eed5f047ad1a.jpg

• Like 6

“ Hon, let’s buy a camper, that way we can take it to the Buick Nationals every year. IT WILL BE FUN “she said. 

D8AFD124-D630-4A98-8A95-CDEB81F1993E.thumb.jpeg.72fcdb4798f2a5516d13fb9696a9dcf4.jpeg

0FC2DF83-DCE9-4FA6-ACDB-39D7C1E2E6C5.thumb.jpeg.14c52b0a0d85ac22395eeeffe7919d4c.jpeg

Tongue jack failure. Thankfully it happened BEFORE I got on the scales to weigh and not during as there were two semis waiting behind me. So didn’t get to check my weight distribution adjustments on the scales but the front bumper is only 3/4 inch higher than when unloaded and the trailer tongue is a tad low, she steers great so I’m good. 

Now to find a new tongue jack in town or figure out where this jack and stand is riding 

• Like 4

22 hours ago, NTX5467 said:

No box/small suitcase full of tapes?

You mean like these? 

D34A8A44-6444-4F11-A41C-0D23C7E08B8A.thumb.jpeg.fb2e6a5a83f584cb8f22cf433b8b22f4.jpeg

DFD4763B-C6D3-4601-8604-D0B5AD0F17CB.thumb.jpeg.8e96ca69e6aae1cc55388e27e89769f0.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, MrEarl said:

“ Hon, let’s buy a camper, that way we can take it to the Buick Nationals every year. IT WILL BE FUN “she said. 

My wife stays on me all the time to get a camper or motorhome.  She thinks it's a cheap and easy way to travel across the USA.  I'm going to get her to read this thread about the ordeal you have went through to get your camper ready for a trip.  If that doesn't change her mind I don't know what will.  :)  Good luck and safe travels my friend!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My dad used to always say "Son, I say Son, it's all in the prep work"...(well he didn't quite say it exactly like that, but Mr. Earl would appreciate it).

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, MrEarl said:

...the front bumper is only 3/4 inch higher than when unloaded and the trailer tongue is a tad low...

If you're going to be towing at night, you might think about reaiming your headlights.  Otherwise you'll be blinding oncoming traffic with your low beams, your high beams will be bat signals, and none of the light will be on the road.  

Of course, your lights would then be low if you drop the trailer, but if you remember the differential adjustment, it's easy enough to go back and forth with X turns of the screw.  Besides, headlight adjustment is one of those things that folks never seem to get around to doing; your lights might be off-kilter anyway.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Larry Schramm said:

Why wash it.

I just have this thing about traveling in clean vehicles, can’t even take a day trip in the Silverado unless it’s been cleaned. Plus when you got a nice wash bay you can use in the rain might as well 

😄

989FFC87-830C-4529-839C-77247679043F.thumb.jpeg.bc0b226af7f08510b86de3498e5c5a87.jpeg

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Ronnie said:

My wife stays on me all the time to get a camper or motorhome.  She thinks it's a cheap and easy way to travel across the USA. 

My wife thinks the same thing. She doesn’t pump gas though… 

50 miles away from OKC!  Then I get to go back home tomorrow,  load the 56 on a trailer, and do it all over again!  Glad I have a tail wind with the camper… 966336E2-FF1F-4129-AFBA-A3B85F0733C7.thumb.jpeg.0e9d48678056178b7ba407fe60c33c69.jpeg

7 hours ago, MrEarl said:

I just have this thing about traveling in clean vehicles, can’t even take a day trip in the Silverado unless it’s been cleaned. Plus when you got a nice wash bay you can use in the rain might as well 

😄

989FFC87-830C-4529-839C-77247679043F.thumb.jpeg.bc0b226af7f08510b86de3498e5c5a87.jpeg

Did this used to be the sand volleyball court at Buick Gardens??  Wet sand between your toes?

• Haha 1

On ‎6‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 7:23 AM, MrEarl said:

Tongue jack failure. Thankfully it happened BEFORE I got on the scales to weigh and not during as there were two semis waiting behind me. So didn’t get to check my weight distribution adjustments on the scales but the front bumper is only 3/4 inch higher than when unloaded and the trailer tongue is a tad low, she steers great so I’m good. 

Now to find a new tongue jack in town or figure out where this jack and stand is riding 

I have been reading a lot about the power jacks because I have been wanting to get one for my car trailer.  From what I have read, they are very prone to failure, all brands, etc.  I have read the reviews for a lot of them and that is the one single theme of all of them.  I am going to stay with a manual jack on my trailer.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Ronnie said:

My wife stays on me all the time to get a camper or motorhome.  She thinks it's a cheap and easy way to travel across the USA.  I'm going to get her to read this thread about the ordeal you have went through to get your camper ready for a trip.  If that doesn't change her mind I don't know what will.  :)  Good luck and safe travels my friend!

Like houses, the bigger the rig, the more possible issues.  My wife and I have been camping for over 40 years and our sweet spot for a "motor home" is a VW Westfalia camper. At one time our family of five all slept in the camper and traveled across the country on vacations.  Keeps us off the ground as in tenting, and has the basic amenities like sink, stove, frig, etc.  Best thing is it fits in a standard garage.  We've had ours for about 35 years.  We are getting ready to do the Route 66 tour west next year with the Lincoln Highway for the return route.

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Oh no big problem with the camper, it just got jealous of all the attention the Buick was getting and thought well I'll show him. We searched hard and long for the best vintage camper we could find for the money and lucked up on this one that had been restored several years ago and used very little since. You may want to have your wife stop reading before she reaches this as I will have to say we love the camper and the freedom it gives to travel. We have no regrets on our purchases of either the Argosy or the Wagon. Of course that may change depending on the final results of this trip, if we ever get to leave in the first place. More on that later...

55 minutes ago, Larry Schramm said:

our sweet spot for a "motor home" is a VW Westfalia camper.

a friend and I traveled the US in a VW bus I built cabinets and a fold out bed into back in the early seventies. I'd be fine doing so again with this friend but she probably wouldn't trade the Argosy at this point. 😁

• Haha 1

On ‎6‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 10:18 PM, dibarlaw said:

We will be meeting Dave Blaufarb near Strasburg VA. around 8:30 in the AM to caravan with his 41. See you soon!

DSCF7500.thumb.jpg.e81e8f75fcc4045939c6eed5f047ad1a.jpg

So.... very... sorry.... but Dave did not meet up with us at Strasburg VA. at 8:30 Monday. After several weeks of prep and a shake down up to our place in Chambersburg the 41 made it down the D.C. beltway to where Dave was about to take the exit to the highway to cross VA. and connect with route 81 and our meeting point. (over an hour away) He said it lost power, backfired a couple of times and the quit! Dave did troubleshoot the best he could. He did have good spark, checked that the fuel pump was pumping but the car refused to cooperate. All during rain on the busy beltway somewhat shielded under an overpass. He ended up having the car towed the short distance home. I believe around 10 miles. I tried to console him with that it was better it happened near home rather than the hour long traffic tie up on route 40 outside of Knoxville Tenn. We would of both had to deal with that this morning. Once Dave got the car home he got it started and it ran fine!!! But I just spoke with him a little while ago and it still may be an erratic fuel pump. We are now at Conway Ark. We have to make the final leg of our journey so we can pick Dave up at the OK City Airport tomorrow afternoon.

• Sad 1

Posted (edited)

Folks, due to a small medical emergency and continuing problems with getting the Wagon ready for the trip we will not be making it to Midwest City. I can not express how disappointed and sad both Rita and I are that we will miss seeing all of you and enjoying what is sure to be one of the most fun events of all time. I do hope someone will consider taking over this little "Coming Together" event and still hold it as after this somewhat contentious last year I really think there needs to be a meeting or something to bring back some peace and good feeling among at least the forum members.

I am sure the biggest disappointment most of you will have is missing the Classic, Hot & Spicy, Black Pepper, Bacon, and Cheese Spam and other exquisite hors d'oeuvres including jalapeno stuffed olives, three kinds of smoked oysters, them little smoked sausages, saltines and Ritz crackers that were on the menu. Not to mention some fine cigars I had specially ordered from my friend Felix Mesa at El Galan Cigars

Missing me yet? 😁

See you next year in Ohio. Hmmm, wonder what the shelf life of all the above is....

Peace my Buick Brethern and Sistern

Edited by MrEarl (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Sad 6

2 hours ago, MrEarl said:

Folks, due to a small medical emergency and continuing problems with getting the Wagon ready for the trip we will not be making it to Midwest City.

WHAT?!?  There was a WHOLE ROW dedicated just to you!  Do I need to bring my camper up from Thunderbird to fill the space?5D2CE598-96B7-41B0-A1F4-5370BCFC332A.thumb.jpeg.ac11d5fad265e9cd7c3d78b5a9ea3352.jpeg

• Like 1

This is a bit of a hijack (apologies for that), but what are the different classifications in the parking layout above (F, G, H, etc.)?  And do you have a copy of the entire diagram?

Those would be the judging classes preceded by (I’m assuming) the number of registrants in that class.  There would be an overall layabout...just a question of who has access at hand.

Sorry to hear Lamar...it’s already been grand in less than 24 hours.  I don’t know what Fr. Buick will do without those cigars you were bringing.  Willie just pulled up to the hotel a little while ago.  I’ve seen a number of Buick friends from both on and off the forum and enjoyed catching up as well as meeting some new folks.  Some money has already been spent in the swap meet and more needs to be (saw something we are short on for a Reatta).

Take care of yourselves.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, KongaMan said:

This is a bit of a hijack (apologies for that), but what are the different classifications in the parking layout above (F, G, H, etc.)?  And do you have a copy of the entire diagram?

The different categories of car as registered; for instance, Tux is a 54-58 V8 car, which is a class H, so it will be roughly in the H area. Those lables are all post-it notes and subject to change.  The numbers are based on current registrations. 

I’m away from the hotel, but when I see Chuck Nixon again, I’ll get a photo of an updated diagram. 

4 minutes ago, Thriller said:

Some money has already been spent in the swap meet and more needs to be (saw something we are short on for a Reatta).

lol... I saw remotes, but no recievers. The keyless entry reciever for Pepper recently went bonkers and started cycling solenoids randomly.  We didn’t get a remote with the car so I just unplugged the box. Problem solved, for now. 

Just now, SpecialEducation said:

lol... I saw remotes, but no recievers. The keyless entry reciever for Pepper recently went bonkers and started cycling solenoids randomly.  We didn’t get a remote with the car so I just unplugged the box. Problem solved, for now. 

Saw those...missing those too...thought about it, but it’s a wheel Center that we need to get from Jim.

• Like 1

Speaking of the swap meet,  BUY SOME ROUTE 66 signs!  My wife is getting tired of moving them. 🤣

Every state available except NM. 

10 minutes ago, SpecialEducation said:

The different categories of car as registered; for instance, Tux is a 54-58 V8 car, which is a class H, so it will be roughly in the H area. Those lables are all post-it notes and subject to change.  The numbers are based on current registrations. 

I’m away from the hotel, but when I see Chuck Nixon again, I’ll get a photo of an updated diagram. 

could you please start another thread for that Matt