Wrist pin bushing - 1931, 60

StianOland

Are you trying to bush the small end of the rod or the pistons?  Buick used "semi floating" wrist pins in 31, meaning the wrist pin pivots at the piston only, the wrist pin has a relief machined across it's width on the center of it's length and small end of rod has a clamp bolt that passes thru the relief to positively clamp the pin to the rod and prevent it from coming out of the side of the piston and scoring the cylinder wall.  There are no circlips in the original pistons to retain the wrist pin, they weren't needed.  If during the cars life someone replaced some or all of the pistons the replacements may have had larger pins and small ends of rods may have been bored out to accept them, I had a 31 80 series car that had 6 original iron pistons and 2 aluminum pistons that had oversize pins.  The small ends of the 2 rods had been bored to accept the larger pins.  I installed 8 new pistons with standard size pins and had the small ends of the 2 rods welded up and resized to original dimensions.  Putting a bushing in the small end of the rod is probably not a good idea, either find a couple of rods or have yours welded up and machined back to size on a Bridgeport mill by a reputable machine shop.

If your bushing problem is with the pistons and you are using the original iron pistons that's a machine shop job to have them re-bushed.  I'm not sure who will have aluminum replacements, the source used to be Egge Machine and they have babbiting services. 

https://egge.com/

Keep us posted on what you decide to do...

Dave

• 2 years later...

I know this post is old, but if you are still looking for the bushings, the 31-60 piston piston pin bushing Buick part number is 226281, 13/16" long, 1" OD, 0.812 ID.

It was used on the 31-32 series 60, 272 engines, and the 1930 series 30 engine.

Trolling for a piston for my car, I have come across numerous bushings on ebay and the other sites - 

www.2040-parts.com

www.oafsopi.com

www.classicnosparts.com

gm.donsautoparts.com

www.ctcautoranch.com

www.dvap.com

www.classicbuicks.com

www.fusickautomotiveproducts.com

I am looking for a 31-32 series 60, 272 engine piston to replace one with the broken skirt.

The engine was running fine 2 weeks ago, the skirt has been in the pan for 20yrs....I could probably put the bad piston back in the engine and keep driving it, but...

I don't want to rebuild the engine and install new pistons, rebalance the crank, etc.

If any of you know where I can get an original piston, I would appreciate the help!

I have called around to vintage scrap yards, called Egge for advice, sent an email to Mac Blair, and Bob Engle is checking with his network, spoke with a local shop who has redone many Buick straight 8s, but I am not losing hope yet.

If I can get a piston, I can have the engine running in a day!