Sign in to follow this  
Rivdrivn

‘65 Dual Quad set on eBay

Wow.  I have that set up on the shelf and debate whether to put it on my 63.  For that $$, I might let it go and stick with the single carb.

I also have a new Offenhauser dual quad mainifold, but don't hear people on this board talking about them. Is anybody running one and how does it compare to the stock dual quad?

6 minutes ago, Zimm63 said:

Wow.  I have that set up on the shelf and debate whether to put it on my 63.  For that $$, I might let it go and stick with the single carb.

I also have a new Offenhauser dual quad mainifold, but don't hear people on this board talking about them. Is anybody running one and how does it compare to the stock dual quad?

Stick with the single carb.  It takes a lot of work to hook the 65 carbs to the 63 transmission.  With a Dynaflow transmission, dual quads are just eye candy

"Google" 'Russ Martin nailhead' and find his Centerville Auto Repair website.  Read what he has to say about the "Awfulhauser" dual quad intake.   

There are stupid prices being asked (and presumably paid for) any number of "look at me" options for these cars (2x4 setup, wood steering wheel, turbine wheels, center armrest, etc.).  Save yer money and put it into something that makes your car better.

2 hours ago, KongaMan said:

There are stupid prices being asked (and presumably paid for) any number of "look at me" options for these cars (2x4 setup, wood steering wheel, turbine wheels, center armrest, etc.).  Save yer money and put it into something that makes your car better.

Excuse me sir, but my "wood" steering wheel, turbines, and 2X4 make my Riviera MUCH better!

Hehe...

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Have never tested the Offie against an original Buick 2x4.

As a general rule (opinion), the Offies of this period were the best of the aftermarket intakes, at least for performance street use. 

General rule number 2: the aluminum aftermarket intakes lost weight, and power, when compared to original.

However, dual quads, when properly set-up WILL out-perform a single quad, and are WAAAAAY better than the eye-candy tripowers.

As to the ebay link (not mine, I wouldn't sell them that cheap) being stupid prices; try putting a set together using current production "stuff" that will perform as well for less.

Jon.

Edited by carbking (see edit history)

2 hours ago, Chimera said:

Excuse me sir, but my "wood" steering wheel, turbines, and 2X4 make my Riviera MUCH better!

Hehe...

Been there so I know of what I speak.  The "wooden" wheel will develop cracks, you'll hit a pot hole and knock a chunk out of your turbine wheel cover.  Nothing wrong with dual quads but unless you're really disciplined, you'll use more gas than needed.  But whats the use of having them if you don't open them up occassionally.  None will get you there any safer but you'll arrive with a ring to your bling.

Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, RivNut said:

None will get you there any safer but you'll arrive with a ring to your bling.

If you get there at all.  All the time and money thrown at the bling takes away from addressing safety, comfort, and reliability.  What good is a wood wheel or rear armrest if you don't want to drive the car more than 10 miles from home?

Here's a good barometer: if you're driving to the Gettysburg meet in something other than your Riviera, cancel your hotel, stay home, and spend the 4-5 days and the money you save fixing your car so you won't be afraid to drive it next time.

Edited by KongaMan (see edit history)
  • Like 1

The Eelco/Edelbrock is the best performing dual quad intake, by far. They are on ebay right now. The factory is pretty good, a little port work and it's even better. The Offy is trash unless you cut it open and modify the entire inside and reweld, depends on your goals. If you want your single 4brl to go faster, I port them for substantially more flow and/or bigger carbs. Nails love 750/850 single carbs, even on dead stock engines. Caddy 429's of the same era love them too. DM me, I can post pics of what I do.

It is nice to have as many of the original factory options on one's car if restoring it. If an ORIGINAL car, then adding them affects the value.  Dual quads certainly look great, and yes the performance is increased, but the price has always. been prohibitive and continues to be for the restorer on a budget.

In my book the Edelbrock B262 is by far is the best of ALL the Dual Quad manifolds although the Ellco is a very close 2nd which is a copy of the Edelbrock.  Although the Ellco flows well it has peaks & valley's during the RPM curve that is NOT there with the Edlebrock. The Edelbrook has been proven on both dyno tests & flow bench testing.  These BOTH have more ability with porting work to specific HP & flow numbers with the Edlbrock coming out ahead. The plus for the Ellco is that it's somewhat available as the Edelbrock is NOT as easy to find & it goes for MORE $$$$ than the Ellco& in my mind is the better of the two for the most HP & performance.  The other thing to be mentioned is that both of them spread out the carbs. so now the stock air cleaner intake WILL NOT work. So you either have to destroy it or use some other kind of air breather.  

In terms of performance it goes as follows:

1st. = Edelbrock. Ported or not. Advantage much lighter weight.

2nd. = Ellco   Is very close of the Edelbrock. Ported or not. Advantage, muck lighter weight.

3rd.= Stock Buick 2x4 intake. Ported can come close to the other two.

Last=Awfulhowser, although it CAN be fixed, BUT still doesn't compare to the 1st. two or the stock intake.

SO, IF you want to retain the stock look & have everything work as designed from Buick, the way to go is stock with some GOOD FLOW BENCH porting work.

Tom T.

• Like 1

Anyone see this?  

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Buick-Nailhead-Dual-Quad-Intake-and-Carbs/173899105898?hash=item287d31c66a:g:zZcAAOSwd89c1Ydy

The intake may be correct but the carbs are the small square bore carbs.  I think they're called WCFB for Wrought Cast Four Barrel.  If you notice each carb has a choke and they're sitting on adapters so their small bolt pattern can be bolted on to the nailhead intake.  Run, don't walk, away from this hodge podge of parts.

3 hours ago, dr914 said:

It is nice to have as many of the original factory options on one's car if restoring it. If an ORIGINAL car, then adding them affects the value.

Yes, but it's unlikely to bump the value by as much as you have invested.  That is, if you spend $1200 on a wood wheel, you won't be able to sell the car for $1200 more.  It's like anything else in this hobby: the payoff comes from grins, not money.  If you've sprung for a tach, AL valve covers, Guidematic, AM/FM, turbine wheels, posi, etc., you better get a whole lot of grins, because you're going to lose thousands on the back end.

But if you have been collecting options and you decide to sell the car, the best way to maximize your return is to remove your show pieces, reinstall the original parts, then sell the parts separately from the car.  On the flip side, if you're looking at a car that has all of these bragging rights options, you might safely assume that some (or most) were added post-factory.  In that case, be sure to ask the seller if he has any replaced parts and get them included in the sale.

Difficult to find anything nailhead nowadays without going online. An equally scarce intake is the '66 Spreadbore for a single Rochester Quadrajet and still abundant at wreckers but not with the variable pitch bellcrank. No sexy air cleaner though. Then there's the Carter TQ, only 2 choices for the spreadbore manifold. Not sure on performance but good for fuel mileage on primarys. Love that "Waaaa" sound when the secondarys open!