1932-1935 pak-age-car: Have any Survived? Do you have any information?

rg171352

I recently came across an old brochure from a 1933 pak-age-car and noticed a familiar power plant.  Have any of these early Stutz pak-age-cars survived?  Is there any good technical information on them out there?  Did any of the factory drawing survive?

Thanks!

Richard:

Had trouble opening your link in your PM, but finally partially succeeded (my computer doesn't like system, or vice-versa, or mutual)...

Book mentioned is Albert Mroz Illus Ency of Amer Trks and Comm'l Veh...they'd also be thumbnailed in Georgano's World Trucks Ency (the big book; the little book just has basic names, dates, types etc). If you're close to a decent pub lib they should have both in the reference stacks...or online now???

Engine info was from Mroz and various old replacement parts catalogs; will list them if helpful...

If seriously researching carefully  note all the name variations, Googling etc each of the various variations separately, as online searching is generally quite literal, and can easily miss what we see as very minor name variations...

Did your 33 brochure list one of the known engines or one not listed in the earlier thread in 2001???

Thank you for your replies!

Alsancle- google only appears to show me the later style which featured the hercules engines.  I'm hoping to find an earlier vehicle.

Bud=  Thank you very much, I'll see what I can find.  I'm interested in the Austin powered unit.  I'd like to learn as much about that driveline as possible.  It appears to use an independently sprung transaxle.  Do your books discuss the transaxle at all?

Thank you!

Sorry, Mroz just  briefly describes the "first version"---2cyl hor-opp mounted at rear with transmission---then mentions 32 Stutz re=design with no details re' configuration...

I understand Georgano is often more detailed ( I've never seen copy), may be more helpful...

I have a 1937 Stutz Pak-Age-Car. It has a Hercules 4 cylinder engine. 1937 was the last year of the Stutz Pak-Age-Car. It was sold to Auburn (Lycoming) and then Diamond T. There are about seven Stutz Pak-Age-Cars that I know of. Most of the surviving ones seem to be the Diamond T version which are slightly different.

Steve

DCP_1882.thumb.JPG.e7a5b368b358f9b4de3823c0848ac054.JPG

• Like 1

One of our local AACA members here in Pennsylvania

has a Stutz Pakagecar, now totally restored.

It was on the Hershey show field in 2015, and possibly

other years as well.  It has been to local shows, and

I think he took it to a Stutz national event as well.

Here is the picture from Hershey, driving to the show field:

2015 Hershey--Stutz Pakagecar.jpg

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

On 6/6/2019 at 1:34 PM, Bud Tierney said:

Engine info was from Mroz and various old replacement parts catalogs; will list them if helpful...

I found the Mroz book and am going to try to get a used copy.  Can you please list the replacement parts catalogs?  I'm hoping to piece together an idea of what the driveline for these Austin powered pak-age-trucks may be.  I'm hoping to build a section regarding these for my website: https://trustinrust.com/library/  as they are related to the Austin and Bantam family.

On 6/6/2019 at 1:34 PM, Bud Tierney said:

hey'd also be thumbnailed in Georgano's World Trucks Ency (the big book; the little book just has basic names, dates, types etc)

Is there much information in Georgano's book?

On 6/14/2019 at 4:19 PM, pughs said:

I have a 1937 Stutz Pak-Age-Car.

That's is a very cool statement to be able to make.  Are you planning to restore it?  They are neat trucks!

On 6/14/2019 at 4:19 PM, pughs said:

There are about seven Stutz Pak-Age-Cars that I know of. Most of the surviving ones seem to be the Diamond T version which are slightly different.

Do you know if the Stutz club may have more information on them?  They sound like they were work horses, so I can imagine there being very few around. 

On 6/16/2019 at 10:24 PM, John_S_in_Penna said:

One of our local AACA members here in Pennsylvania

has a Stutz Pakagecar, now totally restored.

That's a very nice looking truck!  Thank you for sharing the photo.  

Catalogs are spotty on this; only a few mention the Austin engine/s??

33 Perf Circle rings--1933---Austin 2.2--4 5/32 oil rings, 8 comp, no size given

34 Hastings Flat Rate---1933--Austin 2.2--4 5/32 oil, 8 5/32 comp

1934--Austin-Stutz 2.2--4 1/8 oil, 8 3/32 comp

1946 McQ-Norris---1934/35, all models---Austin 375, 475 engines, 2.2---4 1/8 oil, 8 3/32 comp 1949 Hastings--1933 models A, B, 16--Austin 2.2--

1934/35 models A, B, 16, 18----tAustin-Stutz 2.2---this catalog only gives ring groove sizes, seems to agree with 34 Hastings above.

A 36 King Products catalog indicates Austin changed from the original pistons using all 5/32 rings to an all aluminun piston, using 1/8 and 3/32 rings, starting at  engine #16970