Sign in to follow this  
Matthew Cody

New Member/New TC Owner. Porthole repair question

Greetings. Last month I bought a 45K 1991 TC Maserati and joined TC America. Beautiful arctic white with ginger interior. Overall in very nice condition, interior is like new. A car I've wanted since I was 15, finally own one. While like any old car it needs some attention. I can handle the mechanical bits but there are a few body/trim issues. Main one being the common "Foggy Portholes". the left side is very good but the right is very foggy or cloudy. I've done a little research but having a hard time finding a proper procedure to repair this issue. Any help or tips are welcome. 

I am also looking for a white front right fender. The previous owner had a little "parking mishap" and left a ugly 4" crease in it.

Thank you 
Matthew

20190604_192946.jpg

The fogging is due to a film layer between the glass panes. In order to "fix" this, you have to remove the outer pane, *carefully* remove the deteriorated film, then silicone the pane back into place.

I've not heard of anyone trying this, but it might also be possible to reinstall the outer pane using UV curing epoxy (smart phones use this for their screens...or some of them used to if they don't anymore).

You can also get all the back issues of the TC America newsletters.  Fun to read about the cars and each issue has handy repairs and car care tips. 

• Like 1

And you think your porthole has a problem!  This one is so ugly it is pretty with all the colors.

Pic 03.jpg

I have the same problem, How do you remove the outer layer carefully? Heat gun, razor blade, piano wire?? 

Yes, I put up that advice 2 years ago. Just tap on the ‘Porthole Window’ 

It will take you to my ‘answer’