Looking to have literature hauled from Rockport MA & Skowhegan ME to Lake George NY

I have two lots of literature comprised of about 26 File Folder boxes each  of car literature that I recently Acquired.  One is in Rockport MA and the other is in Skowhegan  ME.  I need them both moved either together or separately within the next month to me here in Lake George NY.  Both are paid for and ready to go with a few days notice. 

These would be a great back haul for someone headed to Maine then back again toward NY state. 

They would each about fill the back of a full size pickup with an 8 foot bed with a cap.  Figure around 50lbs or less a box so each load should weigh around 1300 pounds.  They also could be moved seems easily in a one car hauler or smaller enclosed trailer.  As they are 3 or so hours apart so one could make a loop and do both in one haul.  Would be a great back haul for someone headed that way anyways. 

If you are interested in moving both or either lot,  let me know.  

Some care would needed to be used in loading just so you don't stack them in a way that will damage any of the literature in the boxes underneath.  Looking to spend around $600 per lot for shipping.   So $1200 for the pair if you decided to haul both.  I don't have the time to run after them. 

I try to be fair.  I know you don't get anywhere trying to be cheap. 

If anyone has a haul that way , it's a good way to sweeten the deal. 

I thought I had a guy all lined up that hauled cars and I used a few times but he just got out of the business. 

If anyone has any ideas or referrals please let me know.  Seems every company I contact in Hemmings or even through craigslist,  never gets back to me.   I guess moving companies don't really move anything,   they just advertise they do.  I would rather have a haul like this than a bunch of couches and refrigerators but maybe that's just me. 

1 hour ago, auburnseeker said:

I might have a hauler for the Maine lot.  Will know for sure the end of the week.  Still looking to get the MASS lot moved.  Could be hauled in a full size Truck with a cap and an 8 foot bed.   

I'm going to look at a map and get a better ide of what that Mass run would involve. Bob 

Let me know if you think it's anything you want to undertake.  There are about 26 boxes,  though if you couldn't get one or so in the load that would probably be fine as there are a couple that could be left behind and the contents donated or at worst recycled.   When you buy lots there is always some overage I'm not really interested in.

Thanks for the reply,  Randy

7 hours ago, MICKTHEDIG said:

Check out the post office they do a thing called "Media Mail" we shipped my wife's whole library across the country for $400. She worked in publishing and had a lot of books.  

Media mail is not OK for sales brochures or magazines because those are considered to be advertising material.  On the other hand, it must be very poorly enforced because I see lots of magazines on eBay being shipped by media mail. 

Edited by Harold
typo (see edit history)

2 hours ago, Harold said:

On the other hand, it must be very poorly enforced because I see lots of magazines on eBay being shipped by media mail. 

Depends on your post office. Ours opens a percentage of both incoming and outgoing. If you get caught you end up paying priority mail rate which is several times higher - not worth the risk..

I ship a ton of stuff and receive a ton of stuff (literally)  Media mail.  Usually car brochures.  That's kind of gray area.  They are all so old they are really just historical documents as you can't buy anything in them from the manufacture and many of the manufactures no longer exist.  Knock on wood,  I have never had a problem yet.  

The problem with these lots is the sellers don't want the hassle of boxing everything up and shipping it out.  They are kind of cash and carry purchases.  I would have gladly paid to have them shipped if they were willing to do it that way.  I've even paid other people in the past to pick up lots,  box them and ship them to me.  Then I have them in short order and don't have this whole hassle of trying to get stuff moved.  I even contacted moving companies (the ones that actually move house contents) and they won't get back to me.  I would rather haul 26 boxes ready to go than some couches, dressers and a bunch of appliances.  I guess moving companies don't want to actually move anything. 

• Like 1

I think I may finally have a commitment on these lots.  There is a truck headed that way right now that's suppose to pick them up as a back haul for a car being dropped off in ME.   I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope it all works out.  It was short notice for both sellers,  but they seem to think they can get the lots ready to haul in time. 

I'll post back either way so anyone interested knows if it all came together.  

Thanks for the  leads.   Hopefully future hauls will be a little closer to home so I can move them myself. 

• Like 1

Well it all finally came together.  It all arrived at 1AM.  A couple hand trucks and we had them unloaded in short order and on their way to Maryland with a new wrecked car on board.  They wanted to be there by 7 Am.  That's Pushing it.  Maybe 8AM,  but they shouldn't have any traffic at that hour.  Nice guys.  Not great on communication,  but they got the job done and were careful loading and unloading. 

I will add they had a short 5th wheel set up and they put much of the literature in the 5th wheel so there wasn't alot of stacking involved which was nice to see as those boxes like to compress/ collapse under weight when stacked.

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here is what it looked like before I started digesting it,  and one with a little less than half processed.   I believe the brown matching boxes will yield the best stuff (which I have held off on as they are more organized),  but I found alot of unusual stuff I have never had,  Lots of 30's -50's pieces,  including a scrap book someone pasted whole brochures in,  when they were near new (from the 50's)  so they are near perfect except the back covers are most likely ruined as they won't just peel out.  They are on a almost cray paper type page.  Any ideas on how to release the glue.  There are alot of rare ones, including some Motorama pieces I have never seen. 

IMG_2012.JPG

IMG_2013.JPG

IMG_2014.JPG

IMG_2015.JPG

• Like 1

From what I have seen,  not alot of doubles except on the new stuff and stuff with purchase dates (according to the postage on the envelopes they were mailed in) back to the 60's,  I would say more collector than anything.  I saw some prices on stuff but again more the new stuff and possibly what he paid for them on the few priced older pieces.  Seems toe be the case with both the lots.  The parts were some freebees thrown in.  That Tucker piece is a reprint,  but not many are. A bunch of Spiral bound pieces as well.  Lots of prestige size ones too.  

More digging to do tomorrow.  One huge pile of ads from the  20's to 40's,   Which I stuck all together and will probably just throw a free ad on craigslist to see if someone wants to take them for art projects or with dreams they will get rich or whatever.    I chucked all the newer ads already that I have come across.  

Nice pile of stuff,I imagine you are like a kid in a candy store on Christmas Day.

Glad it all worked out for everybody.The new owner is elated with his new Stude.

The haulers did well.Looks like everyone is a winner.Very rare that everyone is happy

Now go back and play

Ken

Edited by ols car dog
Wrong word (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

Real hard to say.  I always guess wrong as I ebay everything I think is worth 1.99 or more and it all starts between .99 and 2.99 with very few exceptions and never a reserve.  What usually happens is some piece that almost doesn't make the cut and just short of the recycle bin,  ends up selling for 100 or more dollars.  Even at this stage you would think I could call it,  but it's tough.  Regardless there are some nice 30's Caddy spiral bound pieces,  A few Studebaker big thick data books from the late 30's,  a  neat Packard henney Hearse book that's pretty thick from 1939.  Alot of truck stuff from the early 30's forward.  Some nice 30's Lincoln Pieces.  Pretty much all makes are represented right back to 1930 and maybe earlier.  Lots of neat stuff.  I'll try to shoot a few photos of some of the more unique pieces tomorrow and post them just so you can see some of the variety.  Lots of newer stuff as well that's not making the cut. 

If there are any literature collectors just starting out I would gladly give you a nice selection of stuff from the 70's forward but it's a pick up only deal to get your collection going.  Much of this stuff is very clean and the collector collected all the Ford or Chevy or Dodge,  etc.  Brochures for the year,  most likely right from the dealerships.   I kept very little newer than 73, and then only truck related stuff to the early 80s.  There is also a bunch of foreign stuff,  but I pulled out all the air cooled VW other than that most of that goes back to the late 60's.   It's stuff I just don't deal in and will never get around to selling. 

I've sorted it all out,  though alot was somewhat categorized, so I didn't have to dig through everything.  I'm now resorting it into boxes by make and years to make it most manageable.  Here are some close ups of the better finds.  Yes there is a little muscle car stuff as well,  but I really like the older brochures better. 

Lots of truck stuff I'm currently listing on ebay, from about 1930 and up,  Reo White Mack Federal some other lesser known makes.  Of course I also got a pile of GMC Ford Dodge IH and Chevy truck stuff from about 1930 right up through the 80's Which I culled off everything after about 80 to 83.  Car stuff except maybe a little firebird Camaro Viper etc.  all got pulled post 74. 

I just found out I have a chance at another lot for even more money but suppose to be much rarer and more desirable stuff.  That looks like around 1500 pieces.  I'm still waiting on details but need to do some serious selling to work my way back up.  

Not as much Packard or Cadillac stuff as I had hoped or expected.  Barely any early independent stuff either pre 30.  Surprising the amount of single pieces I got though.  Some duplicates but lots of one of pieces.  I was happy there was quite a bit of pre 60 stuff. 

I'm still not sure how many pieces I have that I didn't cut.  Maybe 5000 or more.  Atleast I hope.  

Now remember these teaser photos show some of the best.  Lots of regular cheap pieces as well.  

These will all be available at an opening bid on 99% at 2.99 and no reserve.  They all sell no matter how much I cry when nice pieces only get the opening 2.99 bid.  Also I do combined shipping and do ship media mail.  So buy 50 brochures and it's about 9.00 anywhere in the country shipped in a nice literature mailer.  You can even run that tab for a few weeks to help fill the box. 

IMG_2462.JPG

IMG_2463.JPG

IMG_2464.JPG

IMG_2465.JPG

IMG_2467.JPG

IMG_2468.JPG

IMG_2469.JPG

IMG_2470.JPG

IMG_2471.JPG

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)

I also found out the day after this load arrived, two other lots I have been working on came through so another 1000 pieces headed in for another $3000.  

It's funny I had a guy email me through a craigslist ad I had and offer me a well worn 55 Lincoln owner's manual.  He said if I wasn't interested he would probably just put it on ebay.  So I politely responded,  that I buy to resell on ebay so he would probably get a better price just selling it himself as I wouldn't be able to pay him much for it.  It's a 5 to 10.00 item at best.  He wrote me back and asked why I even had my ad on Craigslist if I'm not buying stuff like his and I must not buy much literature or pay much money for it.  This was right after I made the other two deals and would have spent $15,000 buying literature for the Month. I politely set him straight after that and told him to sell the darn thing on ebay,  because I wasn't even interested in buying it. 

I don't burn bridges as the same guy with something crappy might just come across something nice some day.   You do get a bit irritated sometimes though. 

• Thanks 1