George gets new spats

6 hours ago, RivNut said:

I agree with Matt. What brand of tire is it?

Suretrac.  The ones we discussed several months back. A small tire shop here in town had some . The owner is an older fellow. Questioned him about reliability. He said he has sold "a lot" of them with no comebacks. Time will tell.  Only one took more weight to balance than the Firestones that were removed. 

Are you coming to the Nationals, Ed?

Ben

Edited by Ben Bruce aka First Born (see edit history)

4 hours ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

Are you coming to the Nationals, Ed?

Ben

I'm not a BCA member.  If I were to come, it would be as a sight seer.  It's a five hour drive but I've got nothing on my hands but time.  Linda and I visited the Nationals when they were in Springfield, MO a couple of years ago.  Had a good time and enjoyed looking at the cars.  We'll have to see.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RivNut said:

I'm not a BCA member.  If I were to come, it would be as a sight seer.  It's a five hour drive but I've got nothing on my hands but time.  Linda and I visited the Nationals when they were in Springfield, MO a couple of years ago.  Had a good time and enjoyed looking at the cars.  We'll have to see.

If you do, look me up.   I will have a vendor spot.

Ben

9 hours ago, RivNut said:

Just do it. Would love to meet you and the missus

11 hours ago, MrEarl said:

Saturday is the day all the cars will be on display and judged. 

Which also means it’s the highest stress day with more people “busy”.  It depends whether you want to meet and spend time with folks, or see more of the cars on display.  Thursday has a bunch of meetings late day / evening.  Friday is the Route 66 driving tour, so (without looking at / verifying the schedule), perhaps Friday afternoon / evening would be a good opportunity to meet folks and perhaps enjoy an adult beverage.

It appears no “formal” forum user gathering has been planned for this year...that would have been the time to plan to be there...the most shenanigans of the entire event.

• Like 1

Two or three years ago this car turned up in a Craigslist ad in Fulton, New York. The owner said it had been stored in Syracuse since the 1970's.

00v0v_36xCaYtU1BG_600x450.jpg.b701deb776166d47f7ee7edb2b1b73ec.jpg

I never took the 100 mile ride from my place to look at it, but I am pretty sure it was the first car I ever had licensed. That was 1965 and I was in my 3rd year of high School. The history sounded right and the white walls sure looked like the ones I put on it.

At the time I was working at my Grandfather's tire shop and used car lot. Most of our sales were used tires and farm tires. Our top of the line tire was the Rochester Johnny Antonelli Firestone recaps.

image.png.33e03b0473016e7f349ca2d5ca7606a7.png

I bought four of them at $12 each and left the blue coating on for a while just to show off the "new" tires. That was THE look for 1965. And it was a good week's pay for most of our customers.

I like the look.

By the way, even I don't go to a garage where they wash your car before AND after they put new tires on.

Bernie

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, RivNut said:

Couldn't get the cover off and Linda couldn't get the time off.  

Well, OK, I guess! 

So far the Suretrac tires are good.  Drive good. Ride good. Look good. 

There will be a next time.

Ben

Edited by Ben Bruce aka First Born (see edit history)
  • Like 2