Younger generation involvement?

zipdang

Is it still considered getting the younger generation involved when that younger generation is 57? If so, then I was the kid today. New friend and longtime AACA member T. Jack Carpenter (92!) invited me over to see his cars today and not only did I see them, he allowed me to drive them. I've had a smile plastered on my face all day! I'm the guy standing outside the cars, Jack is pictured inside the car getting it ready for me. I've never driven anything as old as the '29 or as smooth and classy as the Lincoln. Great day!

1929 Dodge Sport Roadster and a 1941 Lincoln Continental.

IMG_0668.thumb.jpg.98d7be52cb09b109faf9ac75af113274.jpgIMG_0727.thumb.jpg.a64fa6aac082da51cac4e0a027a5ee7f.jpgIMG_0728.thumb.jpg.8931ee31fdc5629441be85fba9199544.jpgIMG_0703.thumb.jpg.772de51ca0944f1c56fedf8977842e95.jpg

• Like 5

53 minutes ago, zipdang said:

Is it still considered getting the younger generation involved when that younger generation is 57?

Yes!

In fact, I believe you are squarely in the target market for new "younger members to get into our hobby.  I don't believe trying to get the Gen-X age group involved is realistic unless they are family.  The 40-65 age group is a much more likely target market since they probably have some extra $$ to spend on toys...unless they are still paying for college for their kids.

Edited by Mark Shaw (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Outstanding to hear you got to experience some time behind the wheel of a couple great cars.

I'm not much younger than you so I guess I'm considered part of the younger generation even though I have plenty of old car years under my belt.

That Lincoln is a gorgeous car.

Did you get any pictures of the interior?

My ownership of three wonderful prewar cars was inspired by an older gentleman who patiently allowed me to pore over and drive his 1924 Cadillac V-8. It was up for sale and I did not buy it but the bug bit hard, I was about the same age you are.

I was so thrilled to be allowed to drive them, that I didn't get any interior pictures. That, however, could easily be remedied.

I've always had some kind of old car and am currently restoring a '59 Fiat 1200 Granluce. Also present is a '67 Fiat 500 Giardiniera and a '57 Citroen 2CV van. Before the flavor of the week went small and foreign, I had a '35 Hupp, '60 LeSabre, '56 Olds, '51 DeSoto and on and on - never more than one at a time until now. This last month my wife and I married off BOTH our daughters, so once we recover from that I should get some garage time.

• Like 1