Sign in to follow this  
Chewbacca

425 timing settings

Hi

i have a 64 fitted with a 425. I am trying to set it backup after major work but I am struggling to find the correct timing settings. Can anyone help with the correct details?

9 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Hi

i have a 64 fitted with a 425. I am trying to set it backup after major work but I am struggling to find the correct timing settings. Can anyone help with the correct details?

i believe I set mine according to the timing marks of the indicator next to the balancer.  Do you have that indicator still installed?

16 minutes ago, first64riv said:

i believe I set mine according to the timing marks of the indicator next to the balancer.  Do you have that indicator still installed?

No, it doesn’t seem to be there

'64/425 is 2 1/2* BTDC with the vacuum hose dis-connected & plugged on the carb. end.  IF you have A/C the timing tag is built into the timing case cover & is very difficult to see so that MAY be the reason you can't find it. I know it's there as the timing marks are built into the cover.  IF your dist. has been reworked then the 2 1/2 * may not hold water.

Car now has a Holley Sniper EFI system.

A/C is on the car but not functioning. I’ll have a look tomorrow.

thanks for the info

Look down between the lower A/C & Alt. belts on the right side of the engine.  Viewing from standing in the front of the car it will be on the left side.

I thought to was supposed to be 30 degrees at 2000 RPM.  Without the vacuum line attached. 

EVERYONE - Get yourself a chassis manual.  Learn how to use it.  Then trust yourself and the folks who originally designed, built, and serviced the car you have.  Not your buddy.  Not some rumor.  If Tom T., Tom M. or one of the ROA's Tech Advisors tell you something - take it to the bank!

• Like 1

On 6/4/2019 at 3:01 PM, Chewbacca said:

Hi

download.jpeg.b00bbac1a10abe9e69303eaf221853f6.jpeg

The timing marks are on the tab on the left side of the cover just above the third hole.