Double sided whitewall tires

I have seen earlier posts on some of the member's requesting double sided whitewall tires like the ones on the earlier CORD L-29 vehicles. QUERY?  Were these double sided whitewall tires exclusive of the late 1920s and early 1930s Cord L-29 or where they also offered in the late 1920s and early 1930s for other manufacturers' models such as Packard, Chrysler, Buick, Cadillac, Marmon, Pierce Arrow, Reo, etc?   If so then is there not a market for these tires to allow some manufacturer (even the Chinese) to produce them for sale in the US?  How many pre-paid orders does a distributor need to make the call to have them produced? 

I would purchase 2 sets if offered. I assume with the fenders all changing in 1933 models being that they were all that year mostly "valanced fenders" which covered up the ability to see the interior side of the tires that any market for these type of double sided white wall tires for 1933 vehicles and newer years pretty much dried up.  Any comments ? I am sure some of the Cord L-29 owners have tried and failed in the past to obtain these tires. 

1925-55.thumb.jpg.194650354c77be0e577315468d3646c7.jpg

1925 Buick Model 55 Sport Touring in period advertising photo.  Balloon tires began the white wall as an upscale tire item. Prior there were  the all white, white and gray, all gray and there were several manufacturers that made red wall tires.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, West Peterson said:

1940 Packard 180s came standard with double-side white sidewalls. Some sources say it was an option. I have two original tires in my sidemounts that are double-sided. Reproductions are not available in the 16-inch size as far as I know.

You have to suspend logic, but then again it was a different world back then. 

Bob 

Let's not forget the short period in the life of Bibendum when he went from white to black so as to better represent the change in tire color.  Thankfully more mature heads prevailed and he was returned to the white image of which we are all so fond.