Peter Gariepy

BCA Election Results - Jun 2019

Thanks for that information.

Willis Bell  20811

Very interesting...top 3 won by large margin, and rest were really close!

8 hours ago, ted sweet said:

only a little over 1200 ballots?

Check again,  the top two had more than 1,200. Total votes cast was 3,653 which isn't very many.

2 hours ago, 1937-44 said:

Check again,  the top two had more than 1,200. Total votes cast was 3,653 which isn't very many.

The accompanying communication from the vote counters said they got 1,237 ballots.  Since each member could vote for up to 3 candidates on one ballot, with no requirement to vote for any number of candidates, it does not seem appropriate to simply translate the total number of votes as the total number of ballots. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

End result is that even with alleged "barn burning" issues involved, the membership yields a similar number of votes as in prior elections where no such issues were at play.  No individual candidate broke the 1000 vote level, either.  Perhaps that might be a new benchmark for any one candidate to attain?

Willis Bell  20811

Edited by NTX5467
addition (see edit history)

1 hour ago, JohnD1956 said:

Since each member could vote for up to 3 candidates on one ballot

I stand corrected.  

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, JohnD1956 said:

The accompanying communication from the vote counters said they got 1,237 ballots.

Which reinforces the point that most members don't care.  They belong out of habit, a sense of obligation, to read the Bugle, etc., but not because of any real interest in the club itself.  That's somewhat unfortunate, but not uncommon, and not without benefit: inactive members pay dues without creating problems or work.

The interesting info (which should be available) would be a list of the members who voted.

Another interesting data point would be to offer a membership without a Bugle subscription (either printed or online).  Might provide some hard data as to what members really want from the club.

1200+ ballots out of 6,000+ members? That's a 20% participation, which I think is a new record for the 40 years that I've been a member.  Some may think that's poor participation, but it is the highest participation in a BCA election that I've ever heard of. Usually it is 5-10 %.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Let's hope we can keep these numbers on the upswing.

John

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/8/2019 at 4:11 PM, Pete Phillips said:

1200+ ballots out of 6,000+ members? That's a 20% participation, which I think is a new record for the 40 years that I've been a member.  Some may think that's poor participation, but it is the highest participation in a BCA election that I've ever heard of. Usually it is 5-10 %.

Agree with Pete. 

• Like 1

On 6/8/2019 at 3:25 PM, KongaMan said:

Which reinforces the point that most members don't care.  They belong out of habit, a sense of obligation, to read the Bugle, etc., but not because of any real interest in the club itself.  That's somewhat unfortunate, but not uncommon, and not without benefit: inactive members pay dues without creating problems or work.

The interesting info (which should be available) would be a list of the members who voted.

Another interesting data point would be to offer a membership without a Bugle subscription (either printed or online).  Might provide some hard data as to what members really want from the club.

I think you hit the nail on the head.  I think there will continue be be declines as older members die off and the online/social media world continues to expand.  The glory days are long gone.  The Bugle is the only thing that makes a membership worthwhile.  Looking at the voting results I see from a couple of the higher vote getters, there will be a business as usual and the same old games 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I guess we could try to figure out how to keep the BCA relevant in that online/social media world. Our biggest event of the year is going on as we speak and you would barely know other than on this forum.

Nothing on the Facebook page since Monday. Nothing on the website. The office transition would have been an opportunity to get someone that could do some of those things, but we have a faceless entity.

Agree about the lack of engagement from members in general. There is little effort to keep them informed as it is. Perhaps that’s the goal...who knows.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Faceless entity is a good thing as far as an office is concerned, do the job paid for, no more no less is perfect.  Perhaps a position is needed to act as PR person and to form a relevant online presence to actually man the tools that are in place.  Possibly tie it to the Bugle since that seems to one of the few things that actually are done right.

1 hour ago, Y-JobFan said:

Faceless entity is a good thing as far as an office is concerned, do the job paid for, no more no less is perfect.  Perhaps a position is needed to act as PR person and to form a relevant online presence to actually man the tools that are in place.  Possibly tie it to the Bugle since that seems to one of the few things that actually are done right.

Ideas without action are useless.  Step up and do something. 

Such a typical response from you. . The person that would have to be in a position like that would need to be PR, social media, computer savvy, Also a younger person may be better suited for a job like that. 

• Sad 1

One thing to keep in mind is that when travelling, many of us don’t have the same setup as at home.  We rely on hotel wifi, and speaking for myself, didn’t bring a computer to be able to edit down our camera photos to be able to fit well online.  The other issue is that we have been out having fun rather than following everything online.  After I get home Monday evening and through the week, I expect to share additional photos, both here and on Facebook.  I can’t say how quickly that will be as I don’t know exactly when I’ll get home and we had a dog who had emergency surgery while we were away (he’s recovering fine thus far).

I like the idea of say a social media representative.  It may work as a voluntary position, but I think it would be more than I’m willing to take on, particularly while attending a National.

13 hours ago, Y-JobFan said:

Looking at the voting results I see from a couple of the higher vote getters, there will be a business as usual and the same old games 

8 hours ago, Y-JobFan said:

Such a typical response from you

Well I came here thinking just maybe someone would be kind enough to report the results of the BOD meeting election results but instead find this crap.

Y-Job, you sometimes make some good points but subjective and rude comments like those above are what get threads dumped. Plus most folks on both sides of the highway are getting tired of all the contentiousness that's gone on over the last couple years so I really wish you and others would just lay off it, at least on here.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, MrEarl said:

Well I came here thinking just maybe someone would be kind enough to report the results of the BOD meeting election results but instead find this crap.

Y-Job, you sometimes make some good points but subjective and rude comments like those above are what get threads dumped. Plus most folks on both sides of the highway are getting tired of all the contentiousness that's gone on over the last couple years so I really wish you and others would just lay off it, at least on here.

Well said, enough already... I had a really pleasant time at the meet and I hung out with my friends on both sides of the supposed issues...and you know what...we talked about Buick's and enjoyed Buicks...and the sun rose and set each days...let's not forget there are more important things...

Edited by 38Buick 80C
suns don't rise and set exclusively in the morning (see edit history)
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, 38Buick 80C said:

and the sun rose and set each morning...let's not forget there are more important things.

Appears I'm still restricted from reacting but can still copy and paste so

image.png.f1bbeda246dbf35b15cbf04b6fdb1110.png

• Like 1

Well said, Lamar!   For what a comment from me is worth, I AGREE with you and Brian. And Willie. And anyone that was there for fun. I have folks on both sides of the , as Brian said, "supposed issues" , whom I call friends.  Life is too short for DRAMA!     Unless it is to decide which 1950 Buick is best!   And since mine was the only one there I WIN!:P

I like your pasted thumb up.

Ben

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, 38Buick 80C said:

and the sun rose and set each morning

dang, didn't realize days were that short in Oklahoma😁

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, 38Buick 80C said:

most folks on both sides of the highway are getting tired of all the contentiousness that's gone on over the last couple years so I really wish you and others would just lay off it, at least on here.

I agree with that. We need a Buick forum moderator who will clean up threads like this before they get out of hand. Instead the back biting is allowed to go on until the whole thread gets deleted.  It's bad for the club and it's bad for a forum that's in decline already.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1